2016-17 List changes

I’m liking this ruthless approach to list management. It’s entirely reasonable to draft a young project player with an aim to develop over 3 years and realise a year in he lacks the critical elements. We have carried players on our list for too long in my opinion. I’m happy with it, lets get some more talent in and continue to make assertive calls on our list moving forward.

Shocked by Nyuon. Was clearly a project player so only one year is a major surprise.

Agree. I would have thought he was a long term project.

To me, it MUST have been something attitudinal that the club have seen that they feel will make the chances of him ‘making it’ extremely slim.

His incident during the season wouldn’t have helped. When you are taken top 5 and looking like a superstar (Hurley) a club is more lenient to things like this but when you are borderline it can be the excuse they need.

Which is tough. But I suppose life isn’t fair.

That’s a stretch. Gach might just not be up to it. Plenty of similar players have been let go in the past.

So who will be left on the rookie list next year?! lol

Rookie list A

• Jake Long???

• Wallis GONE

• Nuyon GONE

• Hams GONE

• Tippa UPGRADED

Rookie List B

• Conor McKenna (provided he doesn’t return to Ireland)

Eades is no certainty to get back on as a rookie but he may well.

Why would he return to Ireland? I read an article about him 2 weeks ago where he said how important it was for him to forge an AFL career.

I would have thought the Hams delisting would be the final nail in the coffin for the idea of demoting players from the seniors to the rookie list. 0 from 6 at this point.

Shocked by Nyuon. Was clearly a project player so only one year is a major surprise.

To me, it MUST have been something attitudinal that the club have seen that they feel will make the chances of him ‘making it’ extremely slim.

His incident during the season wouldn’t have helped. When you are taken top 5 and looking like a superstar (Hurley) a club is more lenient to things like this but when you are borderline it can be the excuse they need.

That’s a stretch. Gach might just not be up to it. Plenty of similar players have been let go in the past.

There is that to. He didn’t really impress me much at VFL level. However if his attitude and work ethic were absolutely exemplary and the club were impressed by that, then as a lanky project ruckman I feel he would have been given more than 1 season.

There is that to. He didn’t really impress me much at VFL level. However if his attitude and work ethic were absolutely exemplary and the club were impressed by that, then as a lanky project ruckman I feel he would have been given more than 1 season.

That’s fair. I guess your second sentence might be a reason he wasn’t kept on. Oh well. Onto the next string bean ruckman.

So who will be left on the rookie list next year?! lol

Rookie list A

• Jake Long???

• Wallis GONE

• Nuyon GONE

• Hams GONE

• Tippa UPGRADED

Rookie List B

• Conor McKenna (provided he doesn’t return to Ireland)

Eades is no certainty to get back on as a rookie but he may well.

Why would he return to Ireland? I read an article about him 2 weeks ago where he said how important it was for him to forge an AFL career.

Good. Hope you are right. You just never know. Sal mentioned it a week or so ago.
It is tough for some of these shy Irish kids living away from home for a long time.

So assuming that is it, and Smack remains, where are we at? Assuming we run with 40 & 4 is it…

• We can pick down to and including selection 68 at the National Draft (5 picks)
  • Pick up a delisted free agent (Green or whoever) + technically Dea and Kelly
  • Take 3 picks in the rookie draft assuming Jake Long remains on there as the only incumbent. One of these 3 live picks may be Eades.

Seems we are going a whole lot deeper into the ND than first thought.

Good, would’ve been a horrible idea gojng with only three players. That just didn’t make any sense.

Enter a new Rioli/Long generation. Hopefully.

Best wishes to all those blokes leaving us.

2017 Rookie List

CAT A
J. Long
Y. Eades
A. Heppell
N. Holmes

CAT B
C McKenna

Looks like the list management team are pretty keen to hit the draft after a couple of years of sanctions. They went pretty deep last year, but I imagine they’d want two or three years of that to make up.

It’s also possible that Woosha wants certain kinds of players and we think that we can find them in the mid to late rounds.

Crikey, Woosha copping no sh*t.

The delisting of Eades and Gach shows a total reversal of our previous list management strategies.

Hams was a bit harsh, but I think it was the right call. He was just a notch off senior level, and I don’t reckon he was going to make that ground up.

I am glad we’re cutting hard though, we needed to.

Very sad for all 3 but I think the right decision made. I suspect that if Hams was someone else he would not have been placed on the rookie list after being delisted so at least he got an extra chance.

Gach surprises me the most given he was always going to be a long term prospect. I can only think his attitude was not what it needed to be and getting arrested was probably part of that.

Really good career from Dempsey. At his best was fantastic. Just not at that level any more.

I do like the approach- no fu*king around but definatly thought hams would have been kept.

So assuming that is it, and Smack remains, where are we at? Assuming we run with 40 & 4 is it...
  • We can pick down to and including selection 68 at the National Draft (5 picks)
  • Take 3 picks in the rookie draft assuming Jake Long remains on there as the only incumbent. One of these 3 live picks may be Eades.

Is it only 5 picks incl PSD? Nine players gone from the main list, up grade Tippa. Add Stewart, Kelly and Dea.

Hams unlucky but then again, so was NOB last season (who arguably showed more than Hams anyway). Tough calls are made every year, I suppose. Hopefully he gets another chance elsewhere, otherwise it’d be great to see him remain with the VFL side again.

Massive respect for Dempsey as a bloke and a player, who by all accounts has provided some terrific leadership around the club in recent years. Wish him all the best and hopefully he remains involved in the club.

Not sure what the go is with Gach but even project players need to show something - at a guess, we probably thought that he didn’t have the attitude/workrate to make it in the long run.

So assuming that is it, and Smack remains, where are we at? Assuming we run with 40 & 4 is it...

Is it only 5 picks incl PSD? Nine players gone from the main list, up grade Tippa. Add Stewart, Kelly and Dea.

The way I read it (could be wrong it’s farking confusing) as it stands it is the possibility of 6 National Draft picks.

This can be altered though to say:

• 5 ND picks and 1 delisted free agent
  • 5 ND picks and 1 PSD
  • 4 ND picks 1 delisted free agent, 1 rookie promotion not including Walla (i.e. McKenna, Long)

etc.etc.

But really there is no point of PSD now. Just take them as a delisted free agent.

Woosha probably did that half smile that psychopathic introverts do before they beat their victim to death with a thermos, before he spoke to them.