2016-17 List changes

I hope he does too. This will be his sixth season so he will need to step up if he is to get another contract. That he was playing twos this year in a bottom side missing a dozen players suggests the improvement will need to be significant.

I hope he does too. This will be his sixth season so he will need to step up if he is to get another contract. That he was playing twos this year in a bottom side missing a dozen players suggests the improvement will need to be significant.

I suggest he will be focussed in his efforts this coming year.

I am also thinking it’s not a given Yestin will be rookied either.

As opposed to previous seasons?

Geez I hope Jackson Merrett comes out and has a blinder next year after the amount of people in here who have written him off.

Would be very surprised if he played more than 5 games next year

If he couldnt cement his spot this year i dont think he ever will

Great decisions and it’s about time we were more demanding in the performance of players and making them earn a list spot.
We haven’t really cycled through the bottom end of our list in the last decade and the faith and time we’ve put in players to make it up to AFL standard hasn’t been shown in performance.
For every Colyer success stories, there are a handful of failures.

Another factor is the expected list cutting to occur over the next few years. We stand to potentially lose Stanton, Watson, Goddard and Kelly along with other who have been on our list yet haven’t come on (Jerrett, McKernan and Morgan to name a few) and that’s not taking into account any players returning from their bans who may not assimilate with AFL standard or no longer suit the playing list (Howlett or Hocking).

It’s also refreshing to see the rookie list spots start to be cycled through a bit more aggressively. For too long we’ve use it to give failed seniors another chance. We should be taking two or three rookies every year.

Geez I hope Jackson Merrett comes out and has a blinder next year after the amount of people in here who have written him off.

I have no doubt everyone wants him to have a blinder. I don’t see where it’ll come from though, do you?
He’d be first in line for the chop in 2017 as it stands.

Interesting that in about round 18 or so, Woosha said if you can't hit a target 15 meters away, you won't be playing AFL. I watched that weekends game closely and saw Hams miss two targets. First time I'd watched him that closely. He was dropped and didn't play again.

Agreed and I’d never forgotten this either. That said, I think Hams 1 or 2 clangers that game were definitely an aberration. His kicking was not only “tidy” but actually good IMO

Interesting that in about round 18 or so, Woosha said if you can't hit a target 15 meters away, you won't be playing AFL. I watched that weekends game closely and saw Hams miss two targets. First time I'd watched him that closely. He was dropped and didn't play again.

Agreed and I’d never forgotten this either. That said, I think Hams 1 or 2 clangers that game were definitely an aberration. His kicking was not only “tidy” but actually good IMO

Yep. Rate Hams as one of the best ball users in the side.

I don’t follow.

We’d all love to see him be awesome.

Maybe Jackson will be good, in a good side.

His best stretch of games is when we’re up n about a few years ago so he just might benefit simply by us being a better side.

As opposed to previous seasons?

Only pointing out that he will know more than ever he is on borrowed time.

I’m sure a heap of people would like 70-man lists.

They want to sack everybody, then cry like babies when the guys are delisted
They want every second player who’s delisted by other clubs, even though the guy’s best day were 5 years ago
And they wants us to draft every one in sight, including 25 rookies

If there were 70 man lists (or 50 at least) I reckon the standard of the competition would be higher.

On 44 player lists, if you turn over 8/year (4 main + 4 rookie), then at the start of every year you have 24 guys who have 2 years or less on the list (OK, I understand you might be turning over the same guys, but just for arguments sake). Even if 6 of them are good, you’re still carrying 18 guys who are still developing.

You need say 30 players across a year with injuries, form etc. So every year there’s 4 guys getting games who aren’t ready at any club.

With bigger lists development would get done in the development leagues, not in the top tier.

I'm sure a heap of people would like 70-man lists.

They want every second player who’s delisted by other clubs, even though the guy’s best day were 5 years ago

Cry me a river

I would love to see the VFL side count to the AFL side so have 44 senior players plus however many in the VFL side and have rules like the EPL.

So for example last season Hepp killing it in the VFL we can bring him into our AFL squad, Bags goes down injured we decide to bring in McNeice or Hep

Imagine the feel good stories a bloke starts in the VFL start of the season and wins the flag with the AFL side

I'm sure a heap of people would like 70-man lists.

Cry me a river

I think Noonan makes this post every other day.

Is it really that controversial to think Jackson Merrett is almost odds on to be delisted, barring a big year? He’s clearly out of favour with Worsfold and lacks confidence and composure. Just doesnt look like it. I agree with Windy Dill, his papers were stamped this year in the 2s.

If there were 70 man lists (or 50 at least) I reckon the standard of the competition would be higher.

On 44 player lists, if you turn over 8/year (4 main + 4 rookie), then at the start of every year you have 24 guys who have 2 years or less on the list (OK, I understand you might be turning over the same guys, but just for arguments sake). Even if 6 of them are good, you’re still carrying 18 guys who are still developing.

You need say 30 players across a year with injuries, form etc. So every year there’s 4 guys getting games who aren’t ready at any club.

With bigger lists development would get done in the development leagues, not in the top tier.

Have you thought about how those 70 man lists get paid?
Would be an issue with most clubs.
Might have to raise the price of pies.

Have you thought about how those 70 man lists get paid?
Would be an issue with most clubs.
Might have to raise the price of pies.

Half VFL the rest AFL

I mean look at that TV deal

Or… Reserves listed players come under the same ruling as the academy system.