2016-17 List changes

Its pretty interesting stuff....i can see SMACK's future hinging on if we can pick up an up and coming 21-22 yo State league ruck (200 cm and 95+ kg) via a late pick. If we can, then I am not sure there is a place for SMACK. These blokes are about too...

Not sure if you’re saying this but I think Dunlop has said that you can’t delist people after the draft. In other words we can’t have Smack as insurance, go to the draft, get the happy surprise of having a ruck we like available, pick him, then delist Smack the next day. That way Smack gets left without a home and no chance/opportunity to get to a new club which makes sense.

Áhhh…OK…I thought there was another delist after the draft. Its hard to follow all of these drafts.

Considering we have numerous forward/midfield types do we really need Green, I think not. Also why pick up Stewart and keep Smack. I don't know Stewarts ability but every team seems to be going with a third up so could he do that.

Number of genuine small fwds on our list with significant AFL experience. Zip.

Raz has had half a season. TIPPA has had a quarter of a season. Cover for them if they get injured. Zip besides moving Bags fwd!

We just delisted Kommer and Eades will be rookied and still miles off it.

Absolutely have a need for Green

Mini Goddard will save us.

https://twitter.com/danielcherny/status/792992182613323776

McKenna being upgraded to the senior list along with Tippa whom we already knew.

At least we will have 2 players to boo if the opposition boo Watson (JOM and Keefe)

Interesting.

You’re thinking it may reflect who we’ll take at #1?

Nope. I think it means they see him playing a lot of seniors next year, which means interesting things for the team structures.

Interesting.

Nope. I think it means they see him playing a lot of seniors next year, which means interesting things for the team structures.

Conor off HBF for our 2017 side would be a very positive thing. Not as reliable by foot as Tippa, but provides similar run and can make things happen. Also should be less exposed in the air, as he has 10cm on Tippa. Probably doesn’t hit as hard in the tackle, but has enough mongrel in him to play a defensive role. Also very young still, both in age and AFL experience (heck he is younger than Morgan).

Conor could be a very big positive for us in 2017, and instantly gives us a lot more run and makes us just look quicker (on paper anyway).

Considering we have numerous forward/midfield types do we really need Green, I think not. Also why pick up Stewart and keep Smack. I don't know Stewarts ability but every team seems to be going with a third up so could he do that.

Raz has had half a season. TIPPA has had a quarter of a season. Cover for them if they get injured. Zip besides moving Bags fwd!

I tend to agree. But the clubs interest in Green does pre-date the emergence of Tippa and Fanta as small forwards, so it will be interesting to see if Jackets actually does have continued interest in him.

Interesting.

Conor off HBF for our 2017 side would be a very positive thing. Not as reliable by foot as Tippa, but provides similar run and can make things happen. Also should be less exposed in the air, as he has 10cm on Tippa. Probably doesn’t hit as hard in the tackle, but has enough mongrel in him to play a defensive role. Also very young still, both in age and AFL experience (heck he is younger than Morgan).

Conor could be a very big positive for us in 2017, and instantly gives us a lot more run and makes us just look quicker (on paper anyway).

Absolutely as reliable as Tippa by foot. Totally agree with the rest thou.

I tend to agree. But the clubs interest in Green does pre-date the emergence of Tippa and Fanta as small forwards, so it will be interesting to see if Jackets actually does have continued interest in him.

I say the more small forwards the better.

So assuming that is it, and Smack remains, where are we at? Assuming we run with 40 & 4 is it...
  • We can pick down to and including selection 68 at the National Draft (5 picks)
  • Pick up a delisted free agent (Green or whoever) + technically Dea and Kelly
  • Take 3 picks in the rookie draft assuming Jake Long remains on there as the only incumbent. One of these 3 live picks may be Eades.

Is it only 5 picks incl PSD? Nine players gone from the main list, up grade Tippa. Add Stewart, Kelly and Dea.

Need to factor in that we went with an extra rookie & only 39 spots on the senior list this year, so automatically have an extra spot.

I refined this a bit more and now I think I have nailed our actual and potential list vacancies (potential = ?), and have indicated the various mechanisms by which they can still be filled, with: - draft picks - delisted free agent signings - rookie promotions - creation of intentional senior list vacancies (creating more rookie spots and promotion flexibility) and - PSD picks

Senior list vacancies
1. Vacancy left over from last season
2. Cooney
3. Ashby
4. Edwards
5. Gwilt
6. Hibberd
7. Pears
8. Kommer
9. Eades - (becoming a rookie?)
10. Dempsey

11. McKernan?

Rookie vacancies (category A):

1. Wallis (rookie)
  2. Hams (rookie)
  3. Gach (rookie)
  4. Long’s rookie place if promoted?
  5. Walla’s place if senior list vacancy remains? (resulting in a 5th Category A rookie spot)
  6. If another senior list vacancy was created? (resulting in a 6th Category A rookie spot)

Rookie vacancies (category B ):
1. Vacancy left over from last season
2. Vacancy left over from last season
3. Vacancy (Conor McKenna’s place).

Senior list ins:

1. Walla -rookie promotion
  2. Kelly - DFA
  3. Dea - DFA
  4. Stewart - traded in for pick 77
  5. McKenna - rookie promotion
  6. Pick 1
  7. Pick 20
  8. Pick 29
  9. Pick 41
  10. Pick 68 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion (Long) or PSD pick 1 or senior list vacancy
  11. Pick 95 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion or PSD pick or senior list vacancy (if Smack delisted)?

Rookie ins (category A):
1. Pick 1 (rookie) Wallis’ place
2. Pick 19 (rookie) Hams’ place.
3. Pick 37 (rookie) Gach’s place.- Eades?

4. Pick 55 (rookie) Long’s place if promoted?
5. Pick 73 (5th rookie) if senior list vacancy remains? (Walla’s place)
6. Pick 91 (6th rookie) if there is another senior list vacancy created?

An alternative to the rookie picks being used for new players, it has been proposed by the club that Yestin Eades may be (or may not be) put on the rookie list, which would effectively mop up our last available rookie selection (currently pick 37, but could go to pick 55 if Long is promoted to the senior list).

Rookie ins (category B ):
1. Free selection of international, or undrafted nominated Aboriginal or multicultural talent from our zone, also competing for AFL nominated or other nominated players from other zones who have missed out on being drafted and not selected by the owners of their zone.
2. As above.
3. As above (Conor’s place).

Quoted again above to show the state of play with regards to list vacancies.

For all the definite “Ins” : seniors and category A and B rookies, see bolded section showing the confirmed unfilled vacancies and how they might be filled.

ie: use of draft picks 1, 20, 29, 41 and 68 is possible or a combination of only using the higher picks (eg: 1, 20.29 and 41) and also using the remaining vacancies for delisted free agents, rookie promotions, PSD picks or creation of senior list vacancies.

We will also be using pick 1, 19 and 37 in the rookie draft and could use pick 55 if Jake Long is promoted and Yestin Eades is a possibility for using the last rookie pick, according to the club who have left this open.

We are also likely to recruit 3 Category B rookies given Conor’s promotion, the pool these are coming from is being increased to include Aboriginal and multicultural rookies as well as international and alternative sports rookies.

I have updated the above quoted list again. (to show the consequences of Conor’s promotion)

My money is on Green being picked up as a DFA, using picks 1, 20, 29 and 41, with no use of the PSD, and Long to stay a rookie. We still have 3 category A rookie picks and 3 category B rookie picks. That will be 12 new players on our list, not counting the promotion of Walla and Conor or the signing of Kelly and Dea as DFA’s. Eades being rookied would take the new player numbers down to 11.

The wildcard is Smack, he could stay as he is, or maybe he is delisted and we pick up a ruck who is a DFA, or maybe get a ruck in the rookie draft and we use pick 68 on someone like Aaron Heppell, just in case we are nervous he will go late in the draft, imagine if the Hawks got him - the outcry!

Scarey thanks for your post and updates, Makes it very clear.

I note nothing appears to have happened on the Green front today I heard him interviewed on SEN this morning . You could say he was crestfallen, you could say gutted, or even depressed. You are 24, you kick an average of 27 goals a year over 3 years in a poor side and no one wants you at any price. No wonder they guy is disappointed at where he is.

Green can play no doubt about it IMO. Would be a great pick up.

Green can play no doubt about it IMO. Would be a great pick up.

I genuinely hope we pick him up, would give us a really flexible forward set-up with multiple dangerous options which is something we havent had for a long time!
Has shown himself to be a consistent performer in a rubbish side so it makes sense to believe he would improve more in a better team and much better environment

Some valued him at a 30-40 pick in the 2016 trade period. No takers.

Foot stress fractures in 2015 and a subsequent fracture in 2016, surgery maybe a red flag for clubs who look at picking him up not to mention the consequent fitness and form loss in 2016.

Wasn’t this week supposed to be the DFA week?

Haven’t heard a thing.

Wasn't this week supposed to be the DFA week?

Haven’t heard a thing.

All I heard was ricky henderson to Hawks

Haven’t heard a thing.

Nothing official yet. DFA period started on Tuesday and lasts a week I think.

Haven’t heard a thing.

Nothing official yet. DFA period started on Tuesday and lasts a week I think.

Yup, then starts again next Thursday and goes for another week.

How many DFA periods AFL have?

If by DFA you mean Do Fark All; the afl have 365 periods