2016-17 List changes

Looks like its a buyers market for cast off DFAs.

If by DFA you mean Do Fark All; the afl have 365 periods
You under-rate them, good sir!

366 this year.

How many spots are free on the senior list? Surely we would use 4 picks in the draft.

I refined this a bit more and now I think I have nailed our actual and potential list vacancies (potential = ?), and have indicated the various mechanisms by which they can still be filled, with: - draft picks - delisted free agent signings - rookie promotions - creation of intentional senior list vacancies (creating more rookie spots and promotion flexibility) and - PSD picks

Senior list vacancies
1. Vacancy left over from last season
2. Cooney
3. Ashby
4. Edwards
5. Gwilt
6. Hibberd
7. Pears
8. Kommer
9. Eades - (becoming a rookie?)
10. Dempsey
11. McKernan - confirmed going onto the rookie list.

Rookie vacancies (category A):

1. Wallis (rookie)
  2. Hams (rookie)
  3. Gach (rookie)
  4. Long’s rookie place if promoted?
  5. Walla’s place if senior list vacancy remains? (resulting in a 5th Category A rookie spot)
  6. If another senior list vacancy was created? (resulting in a 6th Category A rookie spot)

Rookie vacancies (category B ):
1. Vacancy left over from last season
2. Vacancy left over from last season
3. Vacancy (Conor McKenna’s place).

Senior list ins:

1. Walla -rookie promotion
  2. Kelly - DFA
  3. Dea - DFA
  4. Stewart - traded in for pick 77
  5. McKenna - rookie promotion
  6. Pick 1
  7. Pick 20
  8. Pick 29
  9. Pick 41
  10. Pick 68 or delisted free agent (Richards?) or rookie promotion or PSD pick 1 or senior list vacancy
  11. Pick 95 or delisted free agent (Green?) or rookie promotion or PSD pick or senior list vacancy

Rookie ins (category A):
1. Pick 1 (rookie) Wallis’ place
2. Pick 19 (rookie) Hams’ place (Eades?)
3. Smack - will take Pick 37 (rookie) Gach’s place.
- any of the changes below now seem unlikely.
4. Pick 55 (rookie) Long’s place if promoted?
5. Pick 73 (5th rookie) if senior list vacancy remains? (Walla’s place)
6. Pick 91 (6th rookie) if there is another senior list vacancy created?

An alternative to the rookie picks being used for new players, it has been proposed by the club that Yestin Eades may be (or may not be) put on the rookie list, which would take out pick 19 of the rookie draft.

Rookie ins (category B ):
1. Free selection of international, or undrafted nominated Aboriginal or multicultural talent from our zone, also competing for AFL nominated or other nominated players from other zones who have missed out on being drafted and not selected by the owners of their zone.
2. As above.
3. As above (Conor’s place).

Quoted again above to show the state of play with regards to list vacancies.

For all the definite “Ins” : seniors and category A and B rookies, see bolded section showing the confirmed unfilled vacancies and how they might be filled.

ie: use of draft picks 1, 20, 29, 41 and 68 is possible or a combination of only using the higher picks (eg: 1, 20.29 and 41) and also using the remaining vacancies for delisted free agents, rookie promotions, PSD picks or creation of senior list vacancies.

We will also be using pick 1 and maybe 19 in the rookie draft depending on if Yestin Eades is rookied, according to the club who have left this open. The club has also advised that Smack will be rookied after being dropped off the main list.

We are also likely to recruit 3 Category B rookies given Conor’s promotion, the pool these are coming from is being increased to include Aboriginal and multicultural rookies as well as international and alternative sports rookies.

I have updated the above quoted list again. (to show the consequences of Smack going on the rookie list and Conor’s promotion).

Fog says it is likely that Richards and Green will be picked up as DFAs.

This will leave us with picks 1, 20, 29 and 41 in the main draft, with no use of the PSD likely or needed (DFAs making it redundant), and Long to stay a rookie. We still have 2 (or 1, pending Eades being rookied) category A rookie picks and 3 category B rookie picks. That will be 12 new players on our list, not counting the promotion of Walla and Conor or the signing of Kelly and Dea as DFA’s. Eades being rookied would take the new player numbers down to 11, Smack going to the rookie list doesn’t change the number of new players.

Pick 68 and 95 are not going to be used if the DFA picks go ahead, so it’s looking like Hepp A would be hoping for a rookie spot only and Nash Holmes is looking unlikely or impossible to be picked up if Eades is rookied.

I think the club are showing clinical efficiency with their list management this year.

Picks 1, 20, 29 and 41 have always been in the play to be used on draft day.

Our rookie list needed to be cleared of the players they couldn’t see getting a game next year and was needed potentially to give a contracted player another chance (Eades), and to give us ruck depth (Smack, while not the best ruckman he will make a contest, get a kick and is a chance for a goal). Rookie pick 1 will be used, hopefully on Hepp A or a ruck prospect who can hold down another position on the ground (I like Rowan Marshall who can play ruck or intercepting tall back, is quickish and fit, 3.11sec 20m and 13.1 beep, and tackles like a beast with a rugby background).

This also says to me that we will be taking 3 rookie category B’s this year, probably from the multicultural/Aboriginal zones created this year, Walla most likely would have been selected on this list a couple of years ago, if it was available then, and he probably would be a fully fledged midfielder forward by now.

So basically if Eades AND Smack get rookied we will just have the 1 live rookie pick.

So basically if Eades AND Smack get rookied we will just have the 1 live rookie pick.

I’d rather drop Eades and pick up Hepp or Holmes. I know it’s harsh, but they have shown they want it, Eades has not.
I may be wrong, of course.

I think the club are showing clinical efficiency with their list management this year.

Our rookie list needed to be cleared of the players they couldn’t see getting a game next year and was needed potentially to give a contracted player another chance (Eades), and to give us ruck depth (Smack, while not the best ruckman he will make a contest, get a kick and is a chance for a goal). Rookie pick 1 will be used, hopefully on Hepp A or a ruck prospect who can hold down another position on the ground (I like Rowan Marshall who can play ruck or intercepting tall back, is quickish and fit, 3.11sec 20m and 13.1 beep, and tackles like a beast with a rugby background).

This also says to me that we will be taking 3 rookie category B’s this year, probably from the multicultural/Aboriginal zones created this year, Walla most likely would have been selected on this list a couple of years ago, if it was available then, and he probably would be a fully fledged midfielder forward by now.

I tend to agree regarding the Cat B rookies. So thought I’d just put here the names of the blokes we’ve nominated.

Aaron Tatchell (Indigenous)
Ben Ronke (Multicultural)
Muhammad Saad (Multicultural)
Ovie Magbegor (Multicultural)
Hisham Kerbatieh (Multicultural)
Ozgur Uysal (Multicultural)

I’d rather drop Eades and pick up Hepp or Holmes. I know it’s harsh, but they have shown they want it, Eades has not.

We get Green as a DFA and pick up Rioli in draft, both likely, and Eades will be cut IMO.

We get Green as a DFA and pick up Rioli in draft, both likely, and Eades will be cut IMO.

Err did I miss the bit where it’s likely we are picking up Rioli in the draft?

Err did I miss the bit where it’s likely we are picking up Rioli in the draft?

Benfti said so. In fact he said something along the lines of it being a complete failure of the club if we miss him.

Plus as if it wouldn’t be likely… given he’s a Rioli, and highly rated small forward of which we are not flush with.

I tend to agree regarding the Cat B rookies. So thought I’d just put here the names of the blokes we’ve nominated.

McCLuggage sounds Scottish to me (Multicultural)

It is not at all “likely” we will draft Rioli. Unfortunately Jackets has never acknowledged he made a mistake in overlooking Cyril so is just as likely to overlook Willie.

Plus it looks like we are getting Green so EFC probably now thinks small forwards we are flush with.

Ronke and Kerbatieh are the only ones of interest there and they won’t last until Cat B rookie draft selections IMO.

Ronke and Kerbatieh are the only ones of interest there and they won’t last until Cat B rookie draft selections IMO.

Kerbatieh will. Ronke might.

Carlton keen on Kerbatieh

I don’t see why, as he hasn’t played for GWS.

Not now that they brought in Pickett and to a lesser extent Palmer.

I doubt Essendon or the other clubs will every year fill up their full complement of category B rookies - The players need to be around the level to put them on as Category B rookies.

Do category B rookies need to go undrafted at ND or ND and rookie draft?