2016 Captain Options

If Goddard is injured for the remainder of the year, we will need to nominate a player to captain the team for the last few games. Between injuries and the guys on 12 month holiday, there aren’t a huge number of senior long term Essendon players.

Zaharakis - Most obvious candidate, but is struggling with the pressure of the tag, will captaincy be too much?
Zerrett - Leading by example, gun player, but too young?
Daniher - Already leading the forward line. Can a developing key forward captain the team?
Kelly - Gun experienced player and leader, but lacks the club heritage you’d normally expect from a captain.
Cooney - Nice guy, but he doesn’t have that magic he once did.

Are there other candidates?

Daniher.

Leuey?

I’d be giving it to zerrett or Joe personally

LOL Zaha.

Zach, end thread.

TIPPA.

Ambrose

LOL Zaha.

Zach, end thread.

Give Zerrett the gig and make his first act as captain voting Zaka off the island.

Grimley

Zaharakis can’t even get himself right let alone the team. Zerrett all the way, it’s 3 games and it will be great learning material for him.

Daniher.

Only one on your list who I’d have in the leadership group next season.

Daniher.

Zach merrett makes the leadership group, no questions.

Zaka doesn’t want it I thought? Not that he would deserve it anyway.

Daniher.

ZAC

Though Kelly is the logical, safe choice.

Zach.

Can we start another thread and vote for who we think should vice captain the club for the three remaining games since Baguley is also out?

Daniher.

Is he really a standout leader (as opposed to a standout player)?

It’s pretty rare to have any 21 year old (as Zach will be for the whole 2017 season) in your leadership group (unless you name them captain of Melbourne), and Zach strikes me as someone who will grow into a leadership role as his career progresses.

By contrast Joey seems to have absolutely relished being the leader of the forwardline from 2015 and in the leadership group 2.0 this season. From everything he’s said and the way he carries himself on-field, he’s used the responsibility placed on him as inspiration to play better and be a better teammate. That screams natural leadership to me, and I think as he continues to improve, the leadership/responsibility aspect and the performance aspect will continue to be closely linked.

FWIW, I’d suggest the 2017 leadership group might look something like Hurley, Heppell, Hooker, Daniher, Goddard and maybe Watson (his call). After that you’ve got guys like Myers, Hocking and Stanton who have the credentials and a history of being voted for by their teammates. I love Zach, but I think he’s down the pecking order as far as 2017 goes.

None of this is trying to talk down Zach in any way, I’m just suggesting that he’s not the leadership freak of nature in the Lenny Hayes mould that a 21-year-old member of the leadership group needs to me. He’s just a footballing freak of nature.

Who cares?

Just let Gold Coast pick which side they want to kick to. It’s fkn Etihad.

Daniher.

Is he really a standout leader (as opposed to a standout player)?

It’s pretty rare to have any 21 year old (as Zach will be for the whole 2017 season) in your leadership group (unless you name them captain of Melbourne), and Zach strikes me as someone who will grow into a leadership role as his career progresses.

By contrast Joey seems to have absolutely relished being the leader of the forwardline from 2015 and in the leadership group 2.0 this season. From everything he’s said and the way he carries himself on-field, he’s used the responsibility placed on him as inspiration to play better and be a better teammate. That screams natural leadership to me, and I think as he continues to improve, the leadership/responsibility aspect and the performance aspect will continue to be closely linked.

FWIW, I’d suggest the 2017 leadership group might look something like Hurley, Heppell, Hooker, Daniher, Goddard and maybe Watson (his call). After that you’ve got guys like Myers, Hocking and Stanton who have the credentials and a history of being voted for by their teammates. I love Zach, but I think he’s down the pecking order as far as 2017 goes.

None of this is trying to talk down Zach in any way, I’m just suggesting that he’s not the leadership freak of nature in the Lenny Hayes mould that a 21-year-old member of the leadership group needs to me. He’s just a footballing freak of nature.

I’m judging merrett in the leadership group for a few reasons:

• had to be told to go home in his first season of footy because he was spending too much time at the club, and hasn’t wavered in his work ethic since
  • has been our best midfielder this season, bar none
  • with joe daniher went to the club and said they want to lead it forward

so from that its obvious that

• he wants to be a leader
  • has done more than anyone could expect for a 20 year old to show that he wants to be a leader

he may only be 21 but hes so far beyond that in maturity, work ethics and on field progression… however I do see your point that he probably is down the pecking order having seen those names… If one of jobe or BJ aren’t on it next season, which I think are possibilities, then Zach takes their spot

POLK

Zach must be.

If Kelly or Cooney are named Captain as per voting buttons I will completely change my mind on Woosha and lose my sh$t!

I am getting on my soapbox a little but Kelly’s season would have to be one of the most overrated in recent memory. It’s like rnd 9-19 haven’t happened. And being late to the game is somehow this funny thing as well. Seriously taking the ■■■■ and behaving and playing like he is playing for his local club to have beers after the game. He would not be doing this if he was at the cats - I think he feels like he has some special license.

And suggesting Cooney. May as well give it to Dempsey…

You would never in 1 million years do it. Would be ridiculous, but possibly the 3rd best option in our side right now is Parish. He already is one of the clear leaders out there.

100% it will be zaharakis. Essington decision. Its predictable