2016 Draft Night Live ... Thread... buffering

For all those predicted to get picked, there were more than 20 drafted I'd never heard of.

How many were drafted total? That’s how many I haven’t heard of

Fact is that there were almost no sliders, and I feel like our second pick ended up being just the wrong side of a step down in quality… and it is natural to be disappointed about that…but I also think we still squeezed a decent result out of our remaining picks. I have no problem with picking up ‘safe’ types - perhaps Begley can be the diamond in the rough.

Hopefully next year we can buy a good FA.

Hopefully in 2 years time we can pick up a disgruntled quality player from the myriad that have just gone interstate (to sit in queue at GWS, or the basket cases in QLD).

Hopefully our rookie B list can be used for some exciting types?

Amazed at how welded on to phantom-media hype some are. How is Luke Parker going, that average kick, average paced pick 41.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here. If you go back and look at the phantom drafts from 2010, most of them had Parker going in the 15-30 range. The hype was in fact more accurate than the recruiters in Parker’s case.

Walk it off Ben. They might just end up being the most elite vanilla players ever drafted. No one knows right now.

Jackets has his chance at outsiders last year. Never gonna happen again.

And we delisted two of them after 12 months.

And one of them was Tippa.

Essendon won the draft

Meth?

Walk it off Ben. They might just end up being the most elite vanilla players ever drafted. No one knows right now.

And two of them weren’t.

Plus, we’d been looking at Tippa for a very long time. He was a VFL upgrade selection.

we will sorely regret not going harder at trading pick 1 for two first rounders.

so flat.

Proof is in the pudding as they say and we wont know for a few years, there were picks wasted last year yet ppl want to bang on about this years draft crop.

Well, they’d be saying it wrong.

For all those predicted to get picked, there were more than 20 drafted I'd never heard of.

How many were drafted total? That’s how many I haven’t heard of

Tad under 75, I think

I actually like this draft quite a bit. Ok, I agree it’s a little bit on the safe side. However, given our circumstances, is that a bad thing? We lost the possibility of key top end talent with those terrible draft sanctions. In that context, getting some greater ‘bankability’ in this supposedly ‘deep midfield pool’ draft with 5 picks inside 45 seems quite reasonable.

We picked a genuine gun at pick 1 - a smart, courageous, speedy, strong, defensive midfielder with an attacking mindset who can take the game on and change its complexion single-handedly. He will almost certainly play next year. No doubt, Hugh is silk - a beauty for Brisbane, but our boy has the will and killer instinct that may well help him get more out of himself and the game than the more easy-going McC.

We picked 2 other all-Australians, one the biggest ball-winner in the U-18s - a contested possession beast, and the other a clean-handling, high work-rate inside/outside type with good footy IQ, who kicks well off both feet.

We picked a super-skilled (won the kicking test at the combine), strong marking, highly versatile utility, who Brisbane were apparently looking to take at the very next pick to ours. He is a bit light-bodied, but it’s probably a whole lot easier to put some meat on him than to get say, a Bolton type, to the elite kicking level Ridley is already at. Lots of upside about him.

We picked a strong, big-bodied forward/mid who is aggressive, powerful, and has a great boot on him. He is a super set-shot for goal and actually kicked more goals (27) in TAC than… McCluggage this year (though admittedly, he did play more permanent fwd than McC did, especially early in the season). If we can get him fit, I reckon there is a LOT to work with here.

Sure, we didn’t pick up a whole lot of X-factor, though McGrath certainly has some of it, and maybe Begley, but we most definitely picked some very decent footballers with strong AFL quality potential, and I actually don’t think any of them were a huge ‘reach’. Clarke and Mutch were probably ‘unders’, McGrath was consensus top-two, Ridley was expected to go 20-27 per most phantoms, and Begley (maybe our biggest ‘stretch’) was top 40 for a lot of good judges (Knightmare had him at 36 I think, and Tigers were apparently thinking about him at 27). We also still have the Rookie Draft and B-list to fill with a few more ‘excitement’ types (and a ruckman).

And then there are Fantasia, Tippungwuti, Long, Colyer, McKenna, Laverde, and Green, so it’s not like we are struggling for X-Factor at the club. They are also mostly quite young and should be around a while. Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Kelly, Hocking, and Baguley on the other hand aren’t and most probably won’t. Hibberd is already gone, Myers is quality, but too often broken.

Playing the odds, I reckon Dodoro has done beautifully this draft (and trade period), complementing the existing list, looking at upcoming major holes, and picking 5 players in a (supposedly) deep and even midfielders’ draft (with no real ‘sliders’), who have a very strong chance of making it, with at least one or two having the potential to be top 5 quality on our list.

I believe we are building well.

And two of them weren’t.

Plus, we’d been looking at Tippa for a very long time. He was a VFL upgrade selection.

I’d happily take a ratio of 1 Tippa to 2 busts for late picks/rookies over the long term. It’s probably about the same success rate we get from picking solid citizens who spend three times as long on the list before getting dropped, and it’s way more fun.

How many were drafted total? That's how many I haven't heard of
Tad under 75, I think

Hawthorn had picks 74 and 76.

Amazed at how welded on to phantom-media hype some are. How is Luke Parker going, that average kick, average paced pick 41.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here. If you go back and look at the phantom drafts from 2010, most of them had Parker going in the 15-30 range. The hype was in fact more accurate than the recruiters in Parker’s case.

Yes, and he would be pick 1 now in that magnificent world of hindsight. My point is less about Parker and more about the reaction that supporters have to a speculative game and how shaped we all are by the mass consensus. I think that is a fair assessment.

And two of them weren’t.

I’d happily take a ratio of 1 Tippa to 2 busts for late picks/rookies over the long term. It’s probably about the same success rate we get from picking solid citizens who spend three times as long on the list before getting dropped, and it’s way more fun.

So who was the guy this year who has been on our VFL list for a few years who we didn’t pick up?

Tippa was hardly a hail mary. We’d already put the work into him.

I see a draft taken with returning players in mind , a distinct line in the list between 'era’s" and aimed totally at 2018 and beyond.

Begley and Clark look the possible midfield beasts post Jobe/Myers.

Ridley i really like (based largely only on footage though). Intercept marking backman with excellent kicking skills who has great hands in the marking contest all over the ground. There’s a post somewhere on these boards where i thought he was worth looking at at #29. Something about the kid.

Mutch is a genuine mid ball magnet. Bendigo are usually ordinary but he churned out good performances anyway. Might surprise a few when surrounded by better players.

Mcgrath. Well, my preference was Luggage. But everyone at TAC thinks the kid is a jet and i trust Rob Shaw that he’s a genuine mid option. He lead and willed his side(s) to victories. The kids a winner in outlook, it seems. Zerrett was relegated to a fringe flanker in his draft year due to the strength of his teams midfield. McG is higher rated than that. Fingers crossed.

None of these kids need to be best 22 next year. They just need to be ready to go as the new layer when the older part of our list is done in a year or two.

We didnt get a Ruckman. Thats the only eye-on-the-future piece missing. Hartley and Brown (plus of course Francis) cover the kpp depth until at least next draft.

seriously, we ■■■■■■ it.

Glenn Luff: “Out of the Victoria clubs I think Bombers have been the big winner. They get an ‘A’. They’ve had a couple of good drafts now”

He’s talking statistically.

Champion data is a pox on football.

Football these days has a great many poxes.

Starting from - and especially at - the top.

whos glen luff?
Glenn "Bumf" Luff

To me it seems we just drafted five more Kyle Langfords.

I

I

Are you saying this as a good, or a bad thing?

And, no we haven’t.

I

Langford played forward at junior level didn’t he? Only one of these players did that.