2016 Top 10 Draft Predictions

Can't see Sydney going Scrimshaw with hayward, simpkin, logue etc still on the table don't need another big issue midfielder

Also no Hayward given that he was invited to the draft night surely has to go top 15

No love at all for Florent north at 14 has apparently said doesn’t want to leave the state

North have a link to Galucci so that why I put him there, yeah Hayward could get squeezed in somewhere which helps my case for Brodie to slip.

Wasn’t aware of Florents desire to remain in VIC.

Apparently Sydney wanted him and he said mmm nah i would rather stay in Victoria could be complete crap

I’d say we are a very good chance at getting Florent at pick 20 if we want him. Wants to stay in vic (personal reasons) and after North pick 14 only Vic clubs are us and the Dogs until pick 21. Dogs keen on Marshall according to Sam Landsburger who is a Dogs supporter.

I still find it to be bullshit that the team that finished first can have 6 quality top 40 pics coming to them

Setter and Perry top 10

The rest 11 to 30

This GWS hype is out of control
I still find it to be bullshit that the team that finished first can have 6 quality top 40 pics coming to them

Setter and Perry top 10

The rest 11 to 30

This GWS hype is out of control
Should have sorry haha

I find it strange that 6 clubs don’t have a pick in the top 20 this year. That’s a fair bit of trading done to create that

I'd say we are a very good chance at getting Florent at pick 20 if we want him. Wants to stay in vic (personal reasons) and after North pick 14 only Vic clubs are us and the Dogs until pick 21. Dogs keen on Marshall according to Sam Landsburger who is a Dogs supporter.

Watched Florent in a few youtube vids in full u18 matches. Looks like a absolute gun to me would be wrapt if we managed to get him at 20

The battle to be the AFL’s No.1 draft pick is down to three ahead of November 25 draft

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
November 14, 2016 9:00pm

THE top three talents at this year’s draft appear just about set – unless Essendon swings a surprise and bids on Greater Western Sydney Academy star Will Setterfield.

The Herald Sun confirmed that the Bombers met the Albury-born midfielder last week as intrigue grows ahead of next Friday’s draft.

If no bid is placed, the Bombers will crown Andy McGrath or Hugh McCluggage the No.1 pick with the leftover and Ben Ainsworth likely to fill the next two places.

A Setterfield bid would force the Giants to choose between drafting him and Brighton Grammar’s McGrath.

The Dons are yet to visit McGrath’s home, although they did not venture out to Darcy Parish’s farm before taking him in last year’s top five.

If the Bombers draft McGrath, the Giants could also overlook McCluggage in favour of Ainsworth.

The small forward would find it easier to slot straight into their side as they hunt a premiership in 2017. That scenario would send goalkicking midfielder McCluggage to the Brisbane Lions.

Several clubs rate the Morrish Medallist the standout talent.

The Lions are favoured to not bid on Gold Coast’s Jack Bowes at No.3 in a big coup for the Suns.

Sandringham’s Tim Taranto and West Australian Sam Petrevski-Seton could form the next two picks, with both players rated highly by the Suns and Carlton.

Petrevski-Seton told clubs at the draft combine he wants to relocate to Melbourne to play in front of big crowds.

HOW THE TOP 10 2016 AFL DRAFT PICKS COULD FALL

PICK/CLUB SELECTION

1. Essendon Andy McGrath
  2. GWS Giants Ben Ainsworth
  3. Brisbane Lions Hugh McCluggage
  4. Gold Coast Sam Petrevski-Seton
  5. GWS Giants Will Setterfield (Academy bid)
  6. Carlton Tim Taranto
  7. Gold Coast Tim English
  8. Fremantle Griffin Logue
  9. Gold Coast Jack Scrimshaw
  10. Gold Coast Jack Bowes (Academy bid)

Athletic defender Griffin Logue appears set to be taken inside the top 10, despite his surprise omission from Champion Data’s top 30 power rankings.

The Swans are fans of Logue and are likely to also consider Jy Simpkin at their first pick.

Clubs still do not know what Essendon plans to do at No.1 and there has rarely been such uncertainty over the draft just 10 days out.

Inside midfielder Will Brodie, once in the No.1 conversation, could suddenly fall outside the top 10.

The Blues are Brodie fans, but would be unlikely to pair him with superstar Patrick Cripps.

Should Brodie slip, a club such as North Melbourne or Adelaide would walk away with a draft steal. Brodie trained at the Kangaroos last pre-season.

North has been linked to classy midfielder Oliver Florent, who is expected to stay in Victoria.

If the Roos don’t take Florent he could wind up a gem for the Western Bulldogs (No.18), Essendon (20) or St Kilda (23).

West Australian Tim English is considered the best ruck prospect in some time and could go to Fremantle, if the Suns don’t pounce first.

Gold Coast ruckman Tom Nicholls is only 24 and the Suns just traded in Jarrod Witts, but with four top-10 picks they are considering the mobile big man.

One expert said on Monday this year’s draft was so deep, clubs could draft players in the 20s that would usually belong in the top 10.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-battle-to-be-the-afls-no1-draft-pick-is-down-to-three-ahead-of-november-25-draft/news-story/84169fc4a7110b82a82dac8e13d5bf82

English at 7! Wow.

Gold coast can afford to reach. And talks take a long time to come good generally.

If Gold Coast get Bowes at 10 that would be an absolute steal. I’d imagine Carlton will bid at 5 if Bris don’t.
Not sure why GC would go English. They need mids, mids and more mids. Surely they’d go Brodie.

Can’t believe Brodie would fall outside the top 10. after the champs I thought he would be in pick 1 contentions. Under this scenario, it would likely see him going to the Swans at pick 11, basically giving them another Josh Kennedy.

If Gold Coast get Bowes at 10 that would be an absolute steal. I'd imagine Carlton will bid at 5 if Bris don't. Not sure why GC would go English. They need mids, mids and more mids. Surely they'd go Brodie.

GC are not picking 4 mids from 4 top 10 picks.

Irresponsible list management.

Technically the only player lost out of their best side is Prestia. JOM hasn’t played for 2yrs and Garlett was fringe.

They have brought in Hanley, Barlow & Lyons via trade/DFA, all mids. Swallow will be back on park next year, Hall & Miller will take on more responsibility.

Two mids and two talls you could certainly see them going for though IMO.

That said I think their ruck stocks are strong so not sure they’d go down the path of English, a defender - Scrimshaw they keen on and a 3rd tall forward like Haywood to play around the tall kpf’s they have more likely.

If Gold Coast get Bowes at 10 that would be an absolute steal. I'd imagine Carlton will bid at 5 if Bris don't. Not sure why GC would go English. They need mids, mids and more mids. Surely they'd go Brodie.

Technically the only player lost out of their best side is Prestia. JOM hasn’t played for 2yrs and Garlett was fringe.

They have brought in Hanley, Barlow & Lyons via trade/DFA, all mids. Swallow will be back on park next year, Hall & Miller will take on more responsibility.

That said I think their ruck stocks are strong so not sure they’d go down the path of English, a defender - Scrimshaw they keen on and a 3rd tall forward like Haywood to play around the tall kpf’s they have more likely.

In the past few years they’ve lost Bennell, Pretia, Omeara and Caddy a few years back. There are questions whether Swallow will get back on the park and a big chance he leaves next year.
GAJ is nearing the end.
Agree on Scrimshaw, but in a midfielders draft they’d be crazy not to grab 3 very good ones.

With Wright, Day and Lynch I doubt very much they’ll go English.

We’re picking McGrath aren’t we?

In the past few years they’ve lost Bennell, Pretia, Omeara and Caddy a few years back. There are questions whether Swallow will get back on the park and a big chance he leaves next year.
GAJ is nearing the end.
Agree on Scrimshaw, but in a midfielders draft they’d be crazy not to grab 3 very good ones.

Granted they’ve lost a few but it’s not like they haven’t been replaced already.

Hall does everything Bennell does, Jesse Lonergan as per Caddy & Touk Miller as per Prestia. Lemmens moved into midfield with great effect also.

Fiorini was a highly rated HFF/outside mid from pick last year and after battling injury for most of season showed great promise late.

Bowes is a given, then add in Hanley, Lyons & Barlow plus they also have Brad Scheer coming from this draft as another highly rated academy player who is an inside mid clearance machine. That’s 5 mids coming into the squad already.

I’d bet Mark Stevens house they won’t pick 4 mids from their 4 top 10 picks.

GAJ is nearing the end.

I agree. Definitely need all the elite young midfield/flank talent they can get. Their spine looks good for the next decade and Nicholls is a very well performed ruckman despite him only being 24. Sure they need depth in this areas like every club does but I wouldn’t be spending any top 15 picks on that issue. KP/ruck depth can be attained with later picks, just like we have done very well over the last year.

GAJ is nearing the end.

Granted they’ve lost a few but it’s not like they haven’t been replaced already.

Hall does everything Bennell does, Jesse Lonergan as per Caddy & Touk Miller as per Prestia. Lemmens moved into midfield with great effect also.

Fiorini was a highly rated outside mid from pick last year and after battling injury for most of season showed great promise late.

Bowes is a given, then add in Hanley, Lyons & Barlow plus they also have Brad Scheer coming from this draft as another highly rated academy player who is an inside mid. That’s 5 mids coming into the squad already.

I’d bet Mark Stevens house they won’t pick 4 mids from their 4 top 10 picks.

I think they’ll go Scrimshaw and 3 mids ideally

We're picking McGrath aren't we?

It feels that way. I’d rather McCluggage, Scrimshaw, Brodie or Taranto TBH.
We’ll find out soon enough and we’ll know what was right in about 3 years.
In many regards its a tough year to have the no. 1 pick.

Tough because there are many very good players available? I’d call that great, not tough.

Tough because there are many very good players available? I’d call that great, not tough.

In a year with a couple of standouts the decision’s made a little easier. The lack of key forwards is also unfortunate.
Spoilt for choice…just gotta choose the right one

Didn’t the afl bring in a thing where they can force a club to bid on an Academy player to stop.them sliding

Bowes in an open draft would be top 2 with setterfield. If both hadn’t been put on ice this year