2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

Only in that he was part of the team that ran the program that saw our players banned for twelve months and our club go through years of hell.

He might be a very good football coach but that doesn’t mean he has the qualities required for a seat on the board.

Thats just a matter of opinion.

I would have thought that the players had more control over what was being injected into them than Wellman.

I doubt he would have had little involvement.

Makes it hard for those putting their hands up for election to identify what they can bring to the Board when we don’t know who the Board is going to appoint as Heffernan replacement.
Also for those voting in their evaluation of candidates.

4 Likes

Isn’t that what this convenient thread is for though…

Sean Wellman was a fine player for our club and having met him in a professional capacity, is an extremely impressive person. I definitely want him on the board!

2 Likes

Me like.

1 Like

If that’s the case Heffernan should’ve been kicked out years ago

7 Likes

Wellman??

Sold.

If you are going to block Wellman from his chosen & preferred path to contribute to our footy club, for an error that was made in another department for which he had zero responsibility over, then you may as well tell the tea-lady at the time that she has to go as well.

There is nothing wrong with supplements programs or injections or protein supplements or vitamins, and we know that is the level of understanding that those outside the high performance department had. Further, given the HPD were told clearly to get Doc Reid’s approval, player consent, ensure player health & safety & WADA compliance how the fark is Wellman able to know Dank and Robinson were not doing their jobs properly?
We shouldn’t need to have this conversation any more.

Finally, from a governance perspective, Wellman, given his football and professional experience, is ideally placed to connect the players, football department and board.

And finally, finally please don’t tell me that it’s optics! Because that is shallow and superficial and it’s the ugly principle that was applied by the AFL and media in prosecuting a manifestly unjust penalty against club and players.

25 Likes

He was an assistant coach. It was in his department. He should have had knowledge of it.

Sure I get the attraction of an ex player… we all go a little gaga. But we have an ex player on the board already in Simon Madden and if they thought Wellman is the right man, why not just appoint him?

1 Like

Why, what was in the tea?

2 Likes

The tea now is ok…but the tea before…

I’ll get me coat.

8 Likes

Oh Very good.

Just follow AFL line that the coaches are almost solely responsible for governance ( on a selective basis) Dean Bailey, Chris Conolly Hird, Bomber - nothing to do with the CEO, President or others assigned to govern.

10 Likes

Uhhh… what? You mean the role he was in when the saga was sewn, the same (similar if head coach) role which you are now saying invalidates him as a board candidate?

2 Likes

All this time we have had two past players on the Board. It is listed on the Board skill matrix . Board members are not required to tick every box in the skill matrix list, but Wellman would also meet certain professional skills in the matrix.
He should not be discounted because we already have a past player or because he was around at a bad time for the club. That would not be about the optics, just a nasty form of scapegoating.

11 Likes

He is not a like for like for Heffernan, because Wellman needs to elected by members - The Heffernan nominated candidate for the board has already been selected - Anyway ex-players always do well in elections.

So hird should be nowhere near our fkg club too.

1 Like

The biggest thing we need is someone that can develop a steely resolve to win and not be happy with mediocrity, which I think we did this year.

Wellman can do that. He got the best out of Carlisle and that doesn’t seem like an easy task. I’d like him.

1 Like

I will be completely honest. My only hesistancy on Wellman is that he left in late 2013 when the you know what hit the fan. It maybe harsh but i struggle with him leaving and having current administration getting us out of a huge mess through tough exhausting work . Coming back now after mess is cleaned up just doesn’t sit well with me.

3 Likes