2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

Do you know the reasons why he left?

“This decision does not have anything to do with the events of this year, and while I wanted to help the club work through the challenges ahead, the timing to pursue further study and business interests was right fostrong textr me and at a point in my career”[quote=“bigallan, post:446, topic:11744, full:true”]
Do you know the reasons why he left?
[/quote]

Who would you replace on the board if Wellman was elected?

It’s like changing a winning team after a big win but i’m not sure Wellman is an automatic in.

*My post not related to any posts above.

1 Like

We are part of the historical record here, so we need to be careful how we describe the saga and who is responsible for it. I think we all understand the formal organisational structure and the clear separation of the High Performance Department from the Football Department and the direct line of accountability from Dank to Robinson to Hamilton to the Executive.
The AFL and media ignored this and shifted blame primarily to Hird based on a blatant mistruth that the head coach runs the club and is accountable for everything which involves football and players. We know this is not how large sporting organisations are structured or managed.

If we entertain these fanciful ideas that Welman should have known what Dank was doing, then the clear extension is that Jobe who had a clear leadership role within the club and who also was participating in the program, is also responsible for what happened. After 6-8 months Jobe did know that the supplements weren’t working for him and he said so, but how is he realistically expected to know that Dank slipped TB4 into the mix, when after 5 years of forensic investigation on the balance of evidence it still looks like TB4 was not part of the program.

There was no need for an assistant coach to stay on after 2012. Wellman’s role was to coach footy, and he had absolutely no role in managing the post 2012 saga mess. That was clearly the role of the Executive, the very same people responsible for the governance of our club and designing the internal control systems that failed so comprehensively to monitor the actions and performance of Dank and Robinson.

22 Likes

Do we know who the replacement for Heffernan will be? The board elected replacement.

in fairness, he was very, very actively involved in supporting the players in 2016 despite having no official role

12 Likes

Wasn’t he running the training for the players whilst they were suspended?

4 Likes

Yep.

It’s not like he turned his back on the club.

6 Likes

And because he’s not James Hird he’s not evil according to the public.

Hell, I reckon it’s unlikely Caro would even bother writing a negative article about it if he got on the board.

Having said that, i’d prefer Katie and Paul get back in

2 Likes

The fact that he’s decided to stand for election tells me that he doesn’t believe it likely that the club will choose him to take Heff’s place as an appointed director.

I wonder why that is.

Heff had some pretty serious business qualifications on top of his footy experience. Isn’t Welly a psychologist or physio or something similarly medical, or am I misremembering?

1 Like

He’s a podiatrist.

top bloke, he always gave me 50% off

36 Likes

Qualified podiatrist, but now has his own mortgage broking firm. A very intelligent man…

2 Likes

Just did the one foot, then?

9 Likes

ummm, well yeah. He could do both but he’s not a carpenter.

16 Likes

Yes he should have been. As should have a few others that were there are the time.

2 Likes

Agree… Nothing but a snide attack on his character. The banned players didn’t seem to have any problem with him helping them cope through 2016. Seems like the tactic used by cw etc are being adopted here.
I know as much about Wellman as I do about anyone on the board, ie Not a lot… But the position that he is a terrible candidate because he was an assistant coach during the saga is rubbish, IMO. In fact, being so close to the players would make him very aware of the damage done and be totally committed to making sure nothing like that happened again.

If James Hird was standing for the board he would be the first person I would vote for.

14 Likes

The Member Forum - does anyone know if AFL members, ie not a member of EFC directly, are allowed to attend the event too?

FWIW I dont have a problem with Wellman being appointed to the board any more than I would with Hird being appointed. i.e not at all.
What I do have a problem with is the AFL stating Hird will never work in football again then glowing at the thought of Simon “get me the good stuff” Goodwin coaching another team.

They want to have it both ways all the time.

And as for the director responsible for the football department, he was completely unscathed.
The board members responsible for the football department and club risk management should have gone the day the scandal hit IMHO.

4 Likes

Would this reaction be different if Hird ran for a spot?

From me it would be the same but I’m obviously in the minority.

I think the board has done an outstanding job in a shitful situation. This board deserves to finish the job they have started so well.

I voted for Paul and Katie to represent me, to engage with members who were feeling like the club had lost touch with them. In my view, not one of the candidates running, could do that as well as they have this last three years.

It’s a massive step backward.

They all talk the about engagement but where have they been these last three years?

So the short answer is this, if James Hird was running for the board this year, against Paul Cousins and Katie Lio, I would not vote for him.