2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

if he was running not against them?

considering the sentiment you stated?

To be honest, probably not.

The one who asked for Dank to be sacked? The one who unsuccessfully sought to minimise the Weapon’s damage.?
Let’s have a prohibited association list - those whose lives were wrecked by the action of those responsible for governance.

3 Likes

We’ve come so far as a club, I’ll never understand why people would choose to go right back into it.

Regardless of how you feel about them ( and I have loved James Hird for years) or apportion blame, they all made mistakes which had catastrophic consequences,

James has openly and publicly admitted as much numerous times. You don’t get to do that then be in charge of the governance of the club, regardless of emotion.

3 Likes

Exactly Scorpio. ■■■■■■ exactly.

Interesting… Katie and Paul were elected because of their commitment to ‘Standing By Hird’ and you were one of their most vocal supporters both here and on twitter. You seem to have adopted more of a ■■■■ off Hird position.
I hope that James does stand for the Board sometime in the future … He would get my vote.

8 Likes

Nothing of this has anything to do with Wellman’s candidature ( except in relation to his non-governance role at the club) , but let’s get the facts straight.
Hird apologised for the promise to the players to have a safe environment- a promise he was prevented from keeping because he did not have governance powers and was prevented from doing so by those empowered with a governance role.
IIRC, he is the only one to apologise. The ones who jumped out of the club early in the piece ( CEO and President) have never apologised.
If it were me, I would find it difficult to ever walk through the doors of the club again.

15 Likes

Will anyone ask Wellman if he’s sorry?

2 Likes

I don’t have the book handy to see the full text but on pg 296 of Bomber Thompson’s book he mentions that Wellman left because he was unhappy that the club didn’t defend him regarding claims of Hexarelin use by an assistant coach and that he was also burnt by the AFL’s investigation into tanking at the Dees - which had concluded at the start of 2013, the same year that Wellman left Essendon.
So with those things in mind, I wouldn’t at all begrudge him for leaving when he did.

All that aside, I’ll be voting for Katie Lio and Paul Cousins as I think things have really been heading in the right direction recently, I haven’t heard a persuasive argument for why either of them shouldn’t be returned and without having actually been in contact with either of them, they appear to be accessible to fans.

13 Likes

Fair call

2 Likes

And Heffernan signed off on everything being the Director of the football department

1 Like

Wow, got my voting instructions today. It’s a Melbourne Cup field…(in order as they appear in the candidate profiles)

Katie Lio
Simon Davies
Sean Wellman
Dr. Peter Hughes
Ron Gauci
Paul Cousins
Nicole Waldron
Gai Williams

Yep. That’s me up the top.

5 Likes

“James has openly and publicly admitted as much numerous times. You don’t get to do that then be in charge of the governance of the club, regardless of emotion.”

I respect your passion Darli, but that isn’t right.

It’s not ok to just impugn a person’s competence because something went wrong. You need to separate what happened to the club from the role and actions of each of the individuals involved. Then (and only then) can you assess who should and shouldn’t be allowed to act in a senior role in an organisation in the future.

11 Likes

That’s Katie… duh. :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::rofl:

2 Likes

Some good inside players in this group. Could be anything.

Katie and Paul have done a great job too.

If you are an AFL member with EFC Club Support noted, then you are an Essendon Members and have the right to vote.

2 Likes

… but from 2018 under new Essendon membership rules don’t have the right to access any Essendon Grand Final ticket ballot at any level or be able to purchase the Grand Final Guarantee

Firstly, I’m not impugning anyone’s anything. James, himself, many times admitted he made mistakes. He’s not alone. As I said before, everyone at the club during that time is in some way responsible, accepting of course, the players.

There are many roles at a footy club. Many opportunities for people like Hirdy, Welly and Bomber to come back and be a part of the club.

I simply don’t believe the board is one of those roles.

I doubt Gill and co would welcome Wellman on the Board. He knows where the bodies are buried .

6 Likes