2017 Grand Final. Adelaide vs ..........Richmond (yes really)

It’s going to take more than that though imo.

As iffy as I’ve turned on him, imo stringer becomes the first linch pin to success, but only if used right.

Get and play him as the third ish tall, while moving hooker back to defence is the critical point imo.

That’s for starters. Myers and Goddard simply have to go also. I didn’t see one Richmond player sitting back pointing foe others to do the work they weren’t prepared to.

But the coaches have to be willing to move beyond the old and tried which doesn’t work, which by this year , granted it was compromised , they haven’t shown a willingness to do.

The blueprint is there for how to win, just whether teams are willing to adopt it.

Yes on paper we are prolly a better skilled team across the board, compared to Richmond, so are Adelaide. Means sfa right now, so people can sit there and cream themselves about how bright out future supposedly is, but talent alone very rarely wins you a grand final, hard work each and every week does, and as others have said and I do too, we haven’t consistently brought the same effort foe 22 weeks a year since 2000.

3 Likes

Richmond have made Geelong, GWS and Adelaide look second rate through the finals.
Richmond had a lot to do with how the opposition played.

3 Likes

No denying that. But that was the worst I have seen them play. It looked like they froze.

Rioting in Richmond last night

Cops used capsicum spray on them

#StayClassy

1 Like

Capsicum spray ■■■■■■■ hurts.

The Tigers win was very emotional for its people.

Wait till we win one, Kleenex shares will spike the following week!!!

They played with ferocity and a relentless brand of footy.

This is our biggest learning curve to get to winning a premiership. Our boys need to watch and learn.

2 Likes

We only beat power, eagles and cats from the top 8 teams. Adelaide belted us twice and the drubbing we got from Sydney in the elimination final shows we are still a way off even if we had those wins

If the cops don’t use pepper spray, you’re not doing it right. That’s how you celebrate a long awaited win.

1 Like

Well I was only 90 points out in my prediction for this years granny. Slight room for improvement.

Upon waking up today, I was hit with the realisation that the current quality of AFL football is pathetic.
I’m not taking anything away from Richmond’s win but watching yesterday’s game felt like watching a regular home and away season match.
What happened to the high end quality we are so used to seeing in big finals games?
I obviously hate Hawthorn but after watching the game yesterday it’s made me realise and appreciate what a skillful team they were.

7 Likes

But I like the game played under extreme pressure. Hawthorn or anyone else playing keepy-off gives me the sh*ts. I want contests and yesterday’s GF had plenty of them.

3 Likes

Our captain also has a habit of cruising around and not applying defensive pressure. It is a worry. The huge improvement from zaka this year was him increasing his defensive output and going in hard for 50/50 contests as well as being consistent.

I don’t think our game has to be modelled exactly on Richmond but the defensive pressure and tackling to hurt need to be non-negotiables. It drives me up the wall how easily teams can go coast to coast against Essendon with limited or no pressure applied by certain players. In the current team the pressure acts are left to too few.

3 Likes

Grant Thomas‏
@Thomo_Grant

Don’t get me wrong or misinterpret but possibly worst group of players to win Premiership which only enhances their effort & performance

Says it all, really.

8 Likes

Waking up this morning, and I still cant get my head around it.

I see he’s still salty that he couldn’t win a premiership with one of the best lists at st kilda

They got lucky (For lack of a better term) this year because the comp was in rebuild mode. No real standout this year, a lot of poor teams made finals when most other years they wouldn’t. Plus they had probably the single greatest season by a player in the history that got them there.

Can’t see us doing that sort of a turnaround, we don’t have a midfielder ATM close to what Martin is.

Hes right, that list is ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ but they got the job done, that’s all that counts. Their bottom 6 is garbage but Martin had one of the best seasons ever and it dragged them into the top 4. Without him they would have been 12th at best.