2017 MRP/Tribunal

I have similar ideas, but with more brick walls and firing squads.

1 Like

But if the player with the ball doesn’t dispose of it properly, then in a pure sense it is a good tackle, and should be rewarded because it is the tackle that has forced the error.

2 Likes

That gets into semantics a bit, is it rewarding the tackler or punishing the player who had time to dispose of the ball and didn’t do it correctly?

My point was more that you hear a lot of commentary about needing to reward the tackle and it’s just a fallacy. There is no need to reward a tackle, it is already rewarding.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but I think you’ve moved from or confused the point of the argument - which was that if incorrect disposal was paid correctly, pinning the arms/taking a player to ground - the resulting concussions/suspensions - wouldn’t be as much of a problem. (ie. the AFL have created their own problem.) The aesthetics of a tackle or it being rewarded is a bit beside the point - or at least a separate discussion. Seems to be more a gripe with commentators.

We could strap big pieces of foam to the sides of players’ heads. Problem fixed.
My talent is wasted.

1 Like

I know that was his point… I even said in my original post it was slightly off topic lol.

1 Like

Or play all games in the hangar on the spongey floors!

Now here’s a man with a good head on his shoulders.
You’re going places, son!

So Dangerfield gets a week for his prolonged tackle on Kreuzer and somehow Grundy gets two weeks for an incident where he was awarded a free kick and no Norf player remonstrated with him…this game is getting seriously f a r k e d

2 Likes

Norf did remonstrate and queried why the hell Grundy was getting the free. Grundy’s was always worse in that he basically tried to lift the player off the ground and sling him down. Not the same as Dangerfield’s.

1 Like

Hawkins gets two weeks for idiocy. You will recall umpire Nicholls was right there and looking at it, and instantly turned away to give himself a plausible defence for not doing his job.

No penalty to Papley for staging?

One of the long list of Swans players with highly punchable heads.

But them ganging up on young players is aggressive teamwork, while Hooker is a big bully.

1 Like

Hmmm…I think I’ll just reserve the right to disagree with you

2 Likes

+1, don’t know what he could’ve done differently but seems harsh given the total absence of malice. Appreciate that BBs head hit the ground but how do you nuance a 100kg 190cm bloke to the ground against his will?

You don’t sling them into the ground, you let your bodyweight take them down like everyone is taught at u10s?

4 Likes

Players just have to hold back from following through in the tackle. It all comes down to tackling skill.

It’s the same with marking, there is skill and an element of strength involved in using hips and shoulders instead of arms to hold your ground in a marking contest.

What the AFL should do, which they won’t is educate players the alternative tackle in such a situation and then filter this to the coaches who should teach them how to do it.

And if you can’t tackle somebody that is too big and need to resort to such tactics then too bad.

Watch the Grundy thing again, all he had to do was pin the arms and hold him there. He resorts to slamming him down with the tackle which is stupid. If he actually just hold his arms and then drops his knees in the tackle Brown can’t do anything and the result is the same without the unconscious player.

2 is the right amount.

2 Likes

That’s not the AFL’s job, that’s what coaches get paid to do anyway. If they are not already teaching the players how to tackle properly then the AFL’s job is to penalise those who don’t and injure a player.

So how about instead of these dangerous tackles the players just try and bump the ball outta the opponents hands

Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Lisa: poor predictable Bart always chooses rock…
Bart: good ol rock nothing beats that

1 Like