2017 MRP/Tribunal

the fix is easy

either wear a helmet or play at your own risk

Yeah, but they govern the laws and the reviews committee not the coaches. I agree it is the coaches job.

Iā€™ll revise my statement. The AFL need to educate coached on what is the required and allowed tackle in such a situation so they can teach their teams.

It begins at the top.

I donā€™t know why we bother tacklkng anyway. Holding the ball never seems to be a thing when we tackle.

1 Like

The whole ā€œknocked out in the tackleā€ rule is probably the worst rule there is. Even worse then the stupid contact below the knees rule which is just horrible in how they interpret it

4 Likes

Letting a ball spill out in a tackle, or getting rid of it wildly, is more dangerous than accepting a free kickā€¦ unless in scoring range. So you are rewarded for hanging on to the ball, unless you can deliver it safely.

So Zerret was suspended for a gut punch on Plowman. Two weeks after Zorko was suspended for a gut punch on Plowman. Plowman must be a real pain in the ā– ā– ā– 

1 Like

Seems a lot of talk in the media about Greene. Would be incredible to me if he got off. Should be a couple of weeks as a minimum. Using your foot to make space when taking a handball is insanity. Seems a lot of media people calling for him to be left alone.

If he goes for that the game is stuffed

If he got suspended for using his boots up to keep a player away?

Yep, nothing wrong with it. Put his boot up to protect himself, didnā€™t deliberately kick him like some are saying. Free kick and a fine at worst IMO

Nah, two distinct actions. Raising the leg, then straightening.

Heā€™s a ā– ā– ā– ā–  and did it deliberately. Weeks.

2 Likes

Nah he deserves it. If it was in a marking contest, fair enough, but it wasnā€™t. It was a handball and his opponent has the right to tackle him. I also reckon the slimy grub did it on purpose. There was no need to follow through with extending his leg. He knew exactly what he was doing and thought he could get a way with it.

Whatā€™s ruining the game is being suspended for good tackles. Danger, gets a week for something that was play on at the time, Grundy gets two weeks for something he actually got the free kick for and Howlett gets penalised a free kick against him (but should hopefully not even go up before the MRP) that costs us a goal, make that two.

The guy he hit in the face (??) is actually in a crouch. Toby is not looking, and would have really expected that if he got him anywhere, it would have been in the chest, ā€¦ which, had the guy not taken a foot off his own height, it would have been. People saying it would be OK if it had been a marking contest, but NOT because it was a HB receive?? WTF?

Taking possession of a high ball and putting a foot out to protect your space is the same regardless of if it was delivered to you by hand or foot . That contention is 100% genuine BS for mine.

What next?? You cant put a foot out to gain a height/lift advantage off an opponent in a Ruck contest?? Or when going for a punch/spoil/tap??Happens all the time, it doesnā€™t need to be a marking attempt to put the leg/foot out.

1 Like

So if it were a relatively soft heel of the hand instead of the studded underside of a boot, would it also be fine, or would it be ā€˜high, reckless, medium forceā€™?

Fine for me also.
How many people are suspended for a high fend off?
Martin gets people in the throat all the time and only gives a free away occasionally.

Itā€™s because itā€™s Toby Greene and no other reason. If it had been Danger Fyfe or Sloan,ā€¦ it would be all ā€œIt was an accidentā€ ā€¦

2 Likes

Nope. Iā€™d be all ā€œit was a deliberate kicking action with two distinct motionsā€.

2 Likes

All I want is fairness and consistency, regardless of who the player is or what the stakes are. If a hand, shoulder, foot or knee to the head is ok providing your eyes kinda look like they are on the ball to an umpire, than fine. But stop making it farking interpretable.

Thereā€™s a free kick in our game for ā€œkicking in dangerā€ when no contact is even made. In theory Greene should get 18 weeks for booting a guy in the face.

Iā€™m in the ā€œthat shouldnā€™t be weeksā€ camp.

He had nothing but eyes for the ball the whole time and to the letter of the law you are allowed to protect your space in a contest (yes, not just a marking contest).

I am expecting him to get a fine and then the AFL will change the rules in the off-season.

Parker got done for one to the stomach a year or so ago so who knows? We all know that the MRP is a rolling lottery.