2017 MRP/Tribunal

I think the being allowed to protect yourself is very different from kicking someone in the face. Whether he was looking or not, your throw your boot towards an oncoming players head, you accept the consequences. Just like if you pin the arms and sling the player to the ground.

Of course it is different to a marking contest in that people going into a pack expect that knees and feet are everywhere. When you run to tackle someone who is receiving a handball, you have every right not to expect his spriggs across your face. Was a dog act.

3 Likes

Again,… watch the footage, it was never at his head,… it just got him there because the guy was in a crouch.

The last time he was looked at, he was at full height, & coming at him.

You can (within reason) legally clobber someone in a marking contest, even knocking them out, and all bets are off. It’s always been an anomaly of this game compared to others. And a good thing. Generally you are using this to push off as well, your opponent knows it’s coming.

If he raised something (knee, leg, arm) in one motion or turned his body & stuck his backside out to protect himself, even if it knocked him out then fine. It’s the distinct second action, the only reason for it is to hurt his opponent. Also you don’t need to be looking at someone to whack them.

All players should be doing it every time then, go into a contested ball situation, put your knee out at the last second to protect yourself. Gotta player coming at you from behind/side on, watch where he is when he is about to tackle, then throw the arm back and whack him in the head…sorry last i looked he was standing up and dropped to tackle me, all good though.

It was only a few cm’s away from a boot stud rupturing his eye.

Lifting your boots up in any part of a contest should (& will) be outlawed.

1 Like

So you are outlawing speckies?

I don’t think you have to do that, probably just outlaw kicking blokes in the face.

He won’t go, and neither should he

Is anyone seriously suggesting he kicked a bloke in the face deliberately??

If so,… you should go to specsavers, … & quick.

Two distinct motions.

I have no problem with him raising his leg.

I have a big problem with him extending it rapidly toward the head of an oncoming player.

1 Like

Joe did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Just not to the head

1 Like

I dunno, it’s one thing to put a knee up to protect yourself while taking a mark, it’s another to fully extend your leg studs out head height while you jump to receive a handball.

2 Likes

Fxd.

There’s no way he deliberately aims for his head, or even knew exactly where the guy would be, he just pushed out to ensure he wouldn’t get tackled.

The fact the guy was in a lowered position as he arrived at said foot could not have been known or predicted by Greene.

He does not deliberately kick him in the face.

Fair enough. Would have been completely OK if he got him in the throat instead.

I wonder if Howlett got suspended.

I would bet London to a brick, if the guy is at his full height and it get’s him in the chest as it would have, we’d be hearing nothing about it.

Edit: …Well, maybe something, . because it’s you know,…Bad Toby.

Just out of interest, … is the MRP made up of people that have actually played the game??

Or just watched it?? I’m getting the feeling it makes all the difference as to how things like this are viewed.

EG: SFS panel, … all ex players, = No problem with Joe Dans hair ruffle.

Media flog “Wannabe watchers” … it’s a travesty & unsportsmanlike & arrogant conduct…

Two distinct motions, three angles:

Angle 1:

Angle 2:

Angle 3:

Doge.

Nathan Burke, Michael Jamison and Jimmy Bartel are on it as is Jason Johnson. Not sure if anyone else but all are ex players

1 Like

Still don’t know what you’re trying to prove. He doesn’t know where his boot has landed, and of course he’s going to push off from what he reasonably believes to be his body to gain space and momentum feed into the direction he needs to run.

Note also in the pictures though, … that by the time contact is made, the guy is virtually in a sitting position, … so has probably reduced his own height by 2 feet rather than one.

You kick your boot out at an opposition player and you accept the consequences if you hit him. He knew where the player was and he used his boots to keep him away. That isnt ok. It is insanely dangerous.

1 Like