2017 MRP/Tribunal

The foot was only out there because a player was coming at him. He used the foot to create space. Of course he knew the player was there. He hardly stuck his foot out at right angles to balance himself (@dingus if you could photoshop a protractor into the picture to show it was a right angle that would be tremendous). He used his foot in an attempt to keep a player at bay, there is no alternate explanation and no one has provided one.

1 Like

No ones saying he didnā€™t do exactly that.

But that isnā€™t against the rules, and has been part of the game for ever.

As I said earlier, JD did it almost as crudely just last week.

I donā€™t recall anyone mentioning it then ā€¦

I am firmly in the not an issue camp. He stuck his leg out to protect his space, the same as a player would do with various other body parts in diffrent situations. The fact that Dalhaus was collected in the face is irrelevant. The only question that needs to asked is was this against the rules, therefore something that Greene should have known he wasnā€™t permitted to do, therefore at risk of suspension and the answer to that is no, it is not against the rules. As for the high contact, Dalhaus, by reducing his body height most certainly contributes to the contact, and under the new interpretations, if by their actions a player contributes to high contact then it is play on, not even a free kick. As far as I am concerned it wasnā€™t even a free kick against Greene and should have simply been play on.

Welcome to the AFL, where you can be suspended for tackling, but kicking a bloke in the face is excusable.

5 Likes

The outcome is just as important. Also he was taking a handball not a mark. Tackling to hurt has been a part of the game forever as well, now it is punishable if you get it wrong

Stop victim-blaming re: crouching. Everyone leans forward in that initial burst of acceleration.

1 Like

I think he wanted it to happen. Crouched and ran into the boot to draw a free.

2 Likes

He was pulling up though Dave, ostensibly trying to avoid it ā€¦ and itā€™s not blaming, . just explaining why it was high unintentionally.

If it was Selwood, Iā€™d say thereā€™s a chance youā€™re right there, . but I donā€™t think Luke is like that ā€¦

:wink:

Bumping and tackling is not against the rules, but you can still be suspended for it.

The reduction of body height is really only for ducking into tackles. It has no relevance for most other things, if i reach down to pick up the ball and you collect me with a bump to the head, you donā€™t get off because i was lower than you.

I agree, I canā€™t bump you in the head if you are bent over the ball, and every player is aware of that and the repercussions if they get it wrong. I am also not saying that Dalhaus deliberately drops at the knees, he is trying to stop himself running into Greeneā€™s foot, which is why he has lowered his overall body height as he deccelerates. But no player out there has ever been suspended, or even reported for that matter for putting their foot out to protect their space and in all honesty I am struggling to ever remember one being free kicked either apart from Greeneā€™s, and as such it is reasonable to expect that the act is lawful under the rules of the game. Remember that yes you can be suspended for bumping and tackling, but the rules around how are clearly defined. If you put a bump on a player and hit his head, you can expect to be suspended because that is what the rules say. If you tackle a player and they hit their head on the ground while you pin both their arms, you can expect a visit to the judiciary because the rules have been written to reflect that particular act as a dangerous tackle and susceptible to suspensions or fines. To the best of my knowledge there is no rule to cover what Greene did, therefore what should he be charged with? He didnā€™t ā€œkickā€ Dalhaus so he canā€™t be suspended for kicking. Those saying he deliberately straightened his leg really donā€™t seem to have a grasp on biomechanics and the act of jumping. If the leg doesnā€™t meet initial resistance it will straighten until it does, but it is still only a push, not a kick. Would you advocate suspending a player if they kicked another player in the face as that player tried to smother the ball?

1 Like

Has anyone even asked whether Toby had a hurt foot? No???
Hypocrites!!!

Greene didnā€™t need to raise his foot that high to create space.
Should be gone!

Take your ascribed position/thoughts on the matter, ā€¦ now close your eyes and see the event in your mind ā€¦

ā€¦ now imagine Toby is RED & BLACK!!

(Apologies to the writers of ā€œA Time to Killā€ā€¦}

Or that Luke was a Bomber who just copped a kick to the face so Greene wouldnt be tackled?

I would honestly take the same position, because I can see what Greene intended to do, and it only ended as it did because Dahlhaus didnā€™t end up where he expected him to be.

The way it went down whilst ugly, was accidental.

This is where we differ, I think it happened because Dahlhaus was exactly where he intended him to be. I think he did it to keep him away.

He did do it to keep him away, ā€¦ that is not in dispute. But he expected the foot to be in his belly, and then push off him to start his run forward, that is why thereā€™s a second searching movement.

Yeah. I donā€™t think that is OK either.

Fine.

But itā€™s not illegal, and has been done for ever.