2018 EFC AGM on 17 December - including proposed constitutional changes

Crikey.

6 Likes

Should have put that money into the pokies and then bought his whole family a membership.

4 Likes

That’s pretty much his modus operandi.

1 Like

Looks like a nike tech pack jacket to me and i’m a fan!

2 Likes

So the agm huh

Were there any SHISHA questions

1 Like

For those of you interested in the response to the MCG seats and possible move back there, the response was that the club & MCC have no room to move until the MCC contract with Collingwood finishes in 2024. The club want to play more home matches there & always request better seating arrangements at various meetings each year but that is the response.

IMO we handed over our advantage in 1997 with the commitment to Docklands. We had an arrangement with the MCC but clearly the AFL needed a powerhouse club based at Docklands to help pay for the place. AFAIK our contract runs out in 2025 with Docklands, this despite the AFL taking ownership of the stadium. It was a mistake to move away from the MCG IMO & I have my own theories on why we did it but all that’s irrelevant for the next five years.

8 Likes

Absolutely agree. Terrible decision. And one with consequences that endure for more than a generation

3 Likes

Lol, the irony…

1 Like

The MCG deal the first time had an ugly caveat.

Playing home games at Carlton.

No-one ever liked that idea.

Nah. The mistake was leaving Windy Hill in the first place. We’d have been better off buying the ground off the Council (though it might have taken a few donations to get the right vote at Council meetings), kicking out the geriatric bowling club and building some modern stands. We’d have needed a Solly Lew on the Board, but, to see the opportunity and grasp it back then.

Alll the dosh we’re coining out of our pokies should be ploughed back into the new Tullamarine ground, building stands and other facilities for the members, so we could hold our own home games there in the future - say in ten years’ time. The AFL couldn’t do much about it, because they don’t own our ground. And as for any threat to our licence — I hope the Board have the foresight to get talking to seven other clubs about leaving the AFL and forming a new competition, in case the AFL bosses’ clique gets stroppy.

Yeah, I know — pipe dreams…

3 Likes

Yeah, nah that was never gonna be a long term option. The AFL hated Jack’s hole hence why it hasn’t been used since 2005, we’re still stuck with a 25 year contract at Docklands and Ian Collins ensures Carlton got the same “unmatchable” deal that we got in 1997.

Am I the only person that loves watching footy at Docklands?

yep

1 Like

No. Its way easier to get to from the north west, the size of the ground is good and in the last few years the atmosphere has drastically improved. Unfortunately the G is superior

1 Like

Nah I love it too. Easy access from Geelong. Facilities are pretty good and better atmosphere for smaller crowds. Any crowd at the G under 40k gets lost. You can’t beat the G though when it’s a full house.

4 Likes

Who said anything about not loving watching footy at Docklands? I enjoy seeing us play there but the G is the superior venue without question IMO.

I think we lost an advantage by leaving the G to play a 7-4 split of games at Docklands, advantages that clubs like Collingwood & Hawthorn now enjoy and I despise giving either of them anything. FWIW, MCG tenant clubs are required to play 1 or 2 home matches at Docklands each season, the only exception is Hawthorn who via Kennett did their very clever deal with Launceston/Tasmania.

2 Likes

Nope.

I’m glad it’s our home ground.

Nope.

What I don’t understand is that we complain that it affects our crowds but we barely ever get much over 40K at Docklands and the capacity is over 53K.

Adelaide and West Coast really do outperform us in terms of crowds at their home matches against the same sides we play at Docklands in similar sized stadia, and considering we play a lot more local “derby’s”, we should be doing better.

I like Docklands, but would be more excited if we regularly topped 50K.

4 Likes