2018 EFC AGM on 17 December - including proposed constitutional changes

To be honest now that we’ve moved, I can’t imagine being back at windy hill again. No way we’d get even a third of our current facility at the windy hill location, even if we kicked out the bowls club.

It was painful moving but it was the right thing to do in hindsight imo.

2 Likes

Even the sellout games at Marvel are lucky to get to 50k. That’s thanks to medallion/afl plus normal members that don’t turn up. Those big games you’d probably get a few more at the G because the tickets are available but it would probably be marginal.

1 Like

You get the best views at Docklands, especially on the 2nd and 3rd level - It’s like an amphitheatre.

3 Likes

Nope, this guy does too.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree. I was devastated to hear we’d be leaving Windy Hill, with all the memories and the forged link to the area - to move to what I then considered a ‘waste land’.
I was wrong.

1 Like

Agreed… the MCG is a wasteland and nowhere near where the club had spent one-third of its history playing.

That’s what you meant, right?

3 Likes

Nope, and I think it’ll only get better atmosphere wise as we build into a successful period.

Some of those ‘hype up the crowd’ stunts are pretty naff though

1 Like

Yes they certainly are.

1 Like

You know what’d help that? If we build our own stadium.

Fk no

MCG or nothing!

Did note that we have sold the Beyond Sport business at Docklands too. Didn’t know that prior to last Monday.

With the club sending out details of the upcoming AGM yesterday I was reminded of this thread and the conversation in it from a year ago almost to the day.

In it I raised that I felt the club was trying to ‘sneak’ an extra appointed position onto the board by converting an unused seat previously reserved for the CEO that hadn’t been used for years into an open appointed seat, something the members really didn’t understand and hadn’t been explained well.

My worry was that they were trying to grow the board from the current 9 directors to 10 in order to up 3 appointed seats into 4 diluting the elected majority, in part so that they could meet a gender quota they’d set by adding another woman to the board; a move that I felt would take the board to 10 members and 3 women. They’d done it under the guise of good governance, but despite being buried in the middle of them this was nothing like the other constitutional changes the members were being asked to vote on.

I was shouted down by a few posters as a conspiracy nut for holding that view. The club CEO & Chair publicly and a Director on here claimed the purpose of the change was so that the seat could be used as a sort of ‘short term skill filler’ in case an unexpected situation arose, that it wouldn’t be a permanently filled seat and that I was barking up the wrong tree.

…So here we are a year later, the board sits at a seemingly permanent and cumbersome 10 as the seat has been filled with no suggestion it is for anything other than a full term, and the board features 3 women.

Quota reached, wool pulled over members eyes (and possibly a couple of directors), mission accomplished. I can’t help but wonder how those who raised such a full throated support of the club feel now.

Do they feel duped?

Do they not think about it?

Or do they just still presume they were right and the board will shortly go back to 9 with a woman resigning?

A couple of people asked me recently why I’m not renewing my membership this year, in response I’d told them that for a number of reasons this club no longer felt like my club. Things like this are the reason. The deliberate deceit and allowance of the end to justify the means with our club these days with optics ruling above all else, has done me in. I can no longer care about stuff like the above as much as I have or I spend too much of my life frustrated, it’s not like it’s difficult to spot when they do it.

I had such high hopes that our leadership would change for the better after the saga, and for a short time they did, but they seem further removed from the members than ever before to me now. So many of the positive changes at the time are shown up now as being nothing more than lip service to appease what was a pretty angry mob back then rather than any sincere effort to listen to and value the views of the members.

But if you disagree and want more information I’m sure you can wait until the end of the AGM for the 10 minute “member forum” where the club can show that they really care about and relate to your views as an everyday member.

9 Likes

X gonna sell it to X.

Have you considered renewing your membership so you can go along to the AGM and kick up public hell with impromptu speeches from the floor well before the last 10 minutes ? Or maybe a “cabal” of disaffected paid-up members could get together and call for a spill of the whole board, having made sure the press were warned beforehand ?

Have you considered posting in the correct thread?

1 Like