MRP MRO and Tribunal stuff - 2018

If Martin had left the ground to bump, and bags wasn’t bags and was more soft say like a fark carlton player then Martin may have got a warning.
Nothing wrong with his, Richmond played hard footy, but nothing illegal.

On a seperate note, I did think the FC putz that punched buddy then sunk the knees in should have got a look at. Esp after carslile.

1 Like

Please.

For me it was one of the few bumps executed where there was no grey area. Didn’t involve the ‘sacrosanct’ head.

Good bump in 2018.

6 Likes

Bags was in the air, eyes on the ball, Martin goes low and drives an elbow into his ribs. It was a bump designed to injure, and was in no way contesting the ball.

As I have said, that was OK in the past, but they tried to outlaw that after the 89 grand final.

3 Likes

I think you’ll find the fact that it wasn’t cited and lack of outrage from everyone but yourself that it hasn’t been cited says that it is indeed acceptable in 2018. No problems, good bump. Play on.

1 Like

I think it kind of fits into that odd category of ‘acceptable’ because it doesn’t really happen that often.

Like the Toby Greene incident last year where he protected himself by putting the boot into that other players face. It’s always been legal, but rarely does it happen.

If this started happening every match, and people were injured, it’s be stamped out pretty quickly.

You’re writing the tribunal as a source of objective evidence?

And the general footy media?

I’m not outraged, but I know that if the roles were reversed, and Bags ran through Martin in the same style, who was then ineffective for the rest of the game, that there have been a fair bit more made of it.

4 Likes

I must be reading it all wrong, because the MRP report said Alex Rance got fined $1000. Surely they meant the AFL is giving him a $1000 bonus? I mean, it’s Alex Rance…

2 Likes

I think the umpire should get a week for his free kick to Rance. I would like him to try to justify, by saying what he saw, the free kick given. A player diving forward should never justify a free kick.

1 Like

I like Martin as a player but I think his charge on Bageley was a low act. The fact that the AFL tribunal or MRP didn’t even address it is pathetic. They feign concern about the potential to cause injury when bumping yet let this one go through to the keeper. Baguley was in the air with no protection whatsoever. Martin had no eyes for the ball and charged him with no other intent than to cause injury. Lucky Baguley is no sook. I wonder if the roles had been reversed what the reaction would have been. After all, the name of the game is protecting the guy going for the ball isn’t it? Me thinks it depends on who that guy is.

Edit: sorry Frosty, just saw your last post. Beat me to it.

1 Like

The martin hit was fine, at least until an essendon player does the same thing and cops 2 weeks for it.

1 Like

Martin would have done more damage if he’d tackled rather than bumped.
Unless, of course, you believe tackling “a guy who was wide open with no intent of contesting the ball“ is also everything the AFL has tried to stamp out.
A belief that would be incorrect given the following incidents in recent years that haven’t yielded suspensions

0:40 https://youtu.be/WfFpR5iTkpc
https://youtu.be/XUYboiEAJro
https://youtu.be/EMkHR5TyH-E
https://youtu.be/ZD3Ca1wH0ss
1 Like

Tom Mitchell’s day just got better. And if he wins the Brownlow, well, how’s that gonna look? Joke of a competition.

I hope he does win just to annoy everyone who calls the competition a joke.

Will be even better if Fyfe gets more votes than him.

1 Like

Are we surprised that Dusty didn’t get referred directly to the Tribunal?

I’m guessing it would be too much for the AFL to have the two Brownlow favorites out of the market.

if you’d listened to Christian, you wouldn’t be surprised. They’ve basically changed the rules re: careless/intentional since the Stephen May incident earlier in the season.

1 Like

The AFL wouldn’t want two favourites out. They might have to give the medal to someone low-profile. That would never do…

1 Like

Dusty isn’t going to win it anyway.

Dusty has been poor this year compared to last years standards.

Tom Mitchell will probably win it for getting 40 possessions a week with little hurt factor because Fyfe has been ruled out.

I would be surprised if Fyfe had won it anyway, don’t think he has been that good this year either.