2018 Pre Season Discussion

It may not have a massive influence but this AFLX rubbish couldn’t have come at a worse time for us.

It’s widely acknowledged that almost all of the tactical parts of the game are practiced in the offseason because once the real stuff starts it’s mostly about recovery.

It may have little impact but I would prefer all the training sessions to be about defensive pressure and contested situations rather than this AFLX crap.

Green excited for AFLX
Conor Walsh February 15, 2018 2:57 PM

BTV: Josh Green Media Conference - Feb 15 Essendon forward Josh Green spoke to the media.
Essendon small forward Josh Green says he hopes AFLX can become a “really big” thing ahead of the side’s first matches in the inaugural tournament on Friday night.

Green admitted that the tournament is an important step for the AFL and said he is a fan of the league’s new code.

“I think with the other codes going with the shorter versions I think the AFL had to bring something in like this,” Green said after training on Thursday.

“Hopefully it can bring more fans into the game, because everyone enjoys a quick game, excitement, more scoring, so hopefully it takes off and becomes something really big.”

Green has been named in Essendon’s inaugural AFLX squad and said the team is excited to put their training into practice.

“We’ve been practicing for probably a month now at the back end of training,” he said.

“We’ve got a pretty young squad, but we’re really excited and the energy was high.”

The speedy forward said he has overcome the foot injury he suffered at the end of the 2017 season and has enjoyed being able to take part in the majority of the pre-season.

“I’ve done most of the sessions and (I’m) feeling really fit, so I’m looking forward to actually playing against some real opposition tomorrow night and hopefully we can come away with the chocolates.

“I had a few injuries last year with an interrupted pre-season, so hopefully it allows me to have a full year and get back to that form that I know I can play.”

Green also threw his support behind teammate Aaron Francis who has taken personal leave from the club for mental health reasons.

“His health is the number one priority and the club is right behind him and he can take as much time as he needs,” Green said.

“There are a lot of pressures in the AFL and the great thing about a footy club is we look after each other and we’re doing that with Aaron.

“All of the boys are checking in with him and I think a footy club is a great place to be if you are dealing with a few issues.”

I’m not sure this is still the case.

1 Like

The thing about AFLX is that players are still practicing elements of the main game so there’s nothing lost in putting in some hours focusing on this style of game.

As we’re about to start the practice game section of preseason I thought this may be relevant.
Players with interrupted preseasons;
Ridley, Mutch, Laverde, Francis, Long, Colyer
Hooker?
Players with a better, less interrupted, preseason than last year;
Joe D, Green, Draper, Leuy, Smith?,
the returning players - Hepp, Hurley, Belly, Myers, and the second year players (increased workload) - McGrath, Clarke

Good point, well made.
I feel like a lot of posters just accepted our golden run with injury last season as standard.
It wasn’t.
Was never going to be.

1 Like

Best 22 players with interrupted preseasons; Hooker?
Best 22 Players with a better, less interrupted, preseason than last year; Joe D, Green, Smith?,

Thats not bad, but our depth and marginal best 22 group have been effected.

I actually think that this AFLX crap does help with the defensive aspects. One minute your team has the ball. Bang turnover and you immediately have to go into a defensive mindset and sprint to man-up or make a contest or fill space. It really is like a 20 min training drill of attack, defend, attack defend running.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe.

Structures will be entirely different though.

The lack of time to work on things throughout the year was mentioned a couple of times last season.

Yeah structures would be different but the fitness side, the gut running to defend and the mindset to do it again and again whilst stuffed, would be the benefit.

1 Like

I am praying afl ex dies a very very quick death, it is complete rubbish, terrible to watch
They have gotten exactly the opposite of what they made it out to be
Exciting? Not even a little bit

2 Likes

Agree with that. Just watched us vs Hawks, such a boring spectacle.

There is a reason Gaelic football doesn’t have marks, and AFLX is it.

Edit: Actually I just looked that up, and they can take marks from kick ins apparently. Still, AFLX is to stilted to be exciting IMO.

1 more game to go and then i can switch off this garbage from my TV

You can switch off at any time.

3 Likes

If Essendon werent playing i would.

Smack the most frees against in AFL X. He’s so dumb

1 Like

Thank christ it’s over.

3 Likes

Is this the thread for losing your head after a listless preseason performance replete with awful kicking for goal

2 Likes

Okay, so the bottom line is that it’s a stupid game, but we played it twice and lost both times. I’d prefer to have won them both, especially considering that neither of the teams we played made the finals last year.

Yep, not a fan at all, can the media and AFL hype it up anymore, it’s cringe worthy.

2 Likes

Season over before it began…can not even win a AFLX game.