2018 Pre Season Discussion

We’re being hacked.
Traditionally we’re always fifth (alphabetically) on these things!!!

1 Like

No changes?

Wait… is that an AFL decision I agree with?

Former Essendon captain Tim Watson has identified his former club’s biggest concern heading into 2018, and he believes it is big enough for people to cool on the hype surrounding the Bombers.

John Worsfold’s men have been engulfed in positivity over the offseason, a welcome change from the negativity that has poisoned the club throughout the ASADA saga.

After making the finals last season, the Dons brought in a trio of big name recruits in Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

However, Watson thinks it doesn’t fix their major issue in the guts.

“I think this hype around Essendon is overstated,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I still think they’re going to be deficient in the midfield. I don’t think they’ve got enough absolute super talent in their midfield, and depth in their midfield, to go with the best.

“They lowered their colours many times last year. They’ve got enough talent to make the eight, but I’m not saying they’re a lock for the eight.”

Despite trying to lower the expectations around the club, the three-time premiership player conceded he does understand why the Bombers have received so much hype.

“There is a lot of excitement around Essendon because the real emergence of Joe Daniher last year, his superstar potential,” Watson said.

“Then Jake Stringer coming to the club with Smith and Saad. You have other young players that have been starting to rise to the top in Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish and Orazio Fantasia really starting to blossom.

“There is a lot of excitement around that team.”

Essendon begins their 2018 campaign against Adelaide on Friday March 23.

2 Likes

Went to the season launch last night. Lid off.

2 Likes

So…nothing article.

I think it’s just Watson pointing out that our midfield is average now that Jobe has retired.

1 Like

Father of recently retired legend midfielder says midfield no good anymore. mmm

1 Like

5 Likes

Nah he’s just trying to throw a bit of colld water so that later if we have a bit of a hiccup he can just put it back on others for having over hyped us.

4 Likes

Article belongs in the LID ON thread. No one is posting anything in that thread.

1 Like

It’s certainly an unproven group so yes the hype needs to be tempered but plenty of cause for optimism. Very young group all things considered.

Zerrett (22)- one of the best midfielders already in the league.

Heppell (25)- will be back to his best & previously an AA midfielder.

Zaka (27) - very damaging midfielder when gets off the chain as he will do, far more mature and consistent with his performances now.

Stringer (23) & Smith (24) have been dominant at training and intra-clubs in midfield, will do so in season.

Parish (20) - Elite junior inside mid, now in his 3rd year & physically ready to take more responsibility. His final versus swans shows he is up for it.

McGrath (19) - Elite junior mid, talent to burn… will step into midfield seamlessly. 10 possession quarter in game late in 2017 in 1st year shows it.

Goddard (32) - the old pro. Does it all very well still.

It’s Myers (28) / Langford (21) / others that really unsure about… but only need them to play a role.

Adding in Ollie Wines (23) at end of year would be superb… one can dream.

5 Likes

His comments are fine. We know the midfield is our biggest concern. And until we show, during real proper matches that we can match it with and beat the other sides, then we have not solved anything yet.

12 Likes

If we needed a big bodied midfielder, I think this image shows we got a big bodied player. Can he run out a game as a midfielder ? Ask me around the time of the bye.

1 Like

I really don’t rate Tim Watson’s punditry. Sometimes legends had their innate on field ability and a complete lack of skill of communicating what they did.

1 Like

And Tim likes to be contrary to most others. I do like listening to his radio stuff, but he often just says things for the audience and Lyons reactions.

3 Likes

Yep, a lot of it is just tongue in cheek.

maybe Tim doesnt want the players to get sucked in by the pre season hype and doesnt want it getting to their man buns

3 Likes

Most team have a core 3 mids which dictate the perceptions on the teams midfield quality. Weather it be a Superstar 3 of Selwood, Danger, Ablett or a Lone Ranger of Cripps supported by Murphy and Curnow.

But with the way modern footy is played, how important are the three vs the midfield group of 5-8 players. Whilst out top 3 could be considered lacking or untried. He group of 8 as a whole would be right up there with any team.

Maybe I should check the CD rankings of 8 midfielders from a few clubs and see what the totals are.

2 Likes

Thing about Tim, is he wants to present as a balanced reporter regardless of his allegiances. This is particularly obvious when it concerns the Bombers. I enjoy hearing what he has to say although I think the 6am start time doesn’t agree with him.

Look what’s headed “The Hangar” way!

No more consideration about kids who like surfing wanting to stay in/ go to other clubs in coastal towns!

Best facility in the land going to be even better!

Will be completed March 2019

Oh what’s that Rory Sloane?.. you love surfing?

5 Likes