2018 Pre Season Discussion

Did he suggest port demolished us? I stopped reading at that point

6 Likes

Yikes

No wonder defence left caught out so often

Better defensive transition and increased pressure in midfield/up forward to keep it out of defence as often certainly our main areas of improvement

1 Like

An OK summary in that article but fmd…I know he means after finals position, but actually finished 7th at the end of H&A. Makes it sound like we were thumped by Port, and neglects to mention massive wins over finals aspirants WC and StKilda.

Also made it sound like we were playing good football close to finals; we hardly ‘stormed’ home at the back end of the season, clearly this person did not see us almost spoil the whole season to Carlton, only pull away late in the game to beat North and had a scrappy, unfashionable win over GC. We were in the game against Adelaide for a period but they showed just how far ahead they were. The last round win over Freo showed a lot of resistance when the opposition came, but they were a pretty average opposition at that, and it was hardly a win of any conviction heading into Sydney.

A fair bit of confusion in that article.

This is why I defend Baguley so stringently.

He’s regularly getting exposed down there because our ball movement off half back was terrible.

Saad should help with this.

David King has tipped us for the flag. FAP!

Why would he do that?

Our ball movement off half back is all or nothing. We either score or get score against. Saad will help but also having a more mobile midfield that can spread quicker and defend quicker should help too.

Against the tigers it seemed clear that we are still going to try to go into the corridor early which was both a blessing and a curse for us last year.

The key is ensuring we have a good spread of options and making good decisions about when to go into the corridor. That’s probably saying the obvious.

2 Likes

Some marking ability in the middle should help also.

Heppell used to be a good overhead mark early on. Not so much now.

Myers is no good overhead and the rest are small.

Stringer will help though and hopefully Langers comes on.

I think Hepp is an excellent mark.
There’s also the mobiles in JoeDan or Stewart, along with whoever is rucking - TBell, say. Hurls, Goddard & Gleeson pick things up defensive 50m. We have the marking power between the arcs. We need instinctive structures.

Langford, I know your onboard with that though.

1 Like

Problems in Wangaratta seemed to be (1) The speed with which the footy came out of our forward line. Given we were without Hooker, Stewart, Raz and Joe (second half); this is not surprising. TPW also seemed to be playing out of the middle. iThis will be fixable, (2) We won the taps and almost broke even in clearances but couldn’t get it into 50. I understand that a clearance is defined as the first movement after a hit out? We therefore got our hands on it but couldnt move it far enough. This is the confusion Woosha referred to. This is a bigger worry. (3) Hartley, Brown, Langford and Green. These men are nowhere near our best 22.
Flamers welcome…

1 Like

I’m hanging out for a training report today…

6 Likes

That’s more detailed than @Koala’s report. Great use of emotion and narrative.

1 Like

Brad Crouch suffers abdominal strain at training. They say he will have less match fitness by round 1 and may struggle.
Expect him to dominate.

Crow blow as onballer suffers training mishap

AFL 2017 First Preliminary Final - Adelaide v Geelong

ADELAIDE midfielder Brad Crouch will play no part in the JLT Community Series after suffering an abdominal strain at training.

Crouch, who averaged 28.1 disposals in 20 games last year and was a star of the Crows’ onball division, failed to play in his side’s 10-point win over Fremantle last week, and has already been ruled out of the club’s next match.

It means the 24-year-old may head into the regular season struggling for match fitness.

Crouch was scheduled to take part in an intra-club fixture on Saturday, but Crows general manager high performance, Matt Hass, said Crouch would miss that game, as well as Adelaide’s final JLT Community Series clash with Port Adelaide on March 10.

“Brad was expected to play in our intra-club but a minor abdominal strain will keep him out,” he said.

“He won’t play in our JLT3 game next weekend and will be monitored in the lead up to round one.”

The Crows have also decided to leave All Australian defender Daniel Talia (foot) out of Saturday’s hit-out after he also missed their victory over the Dockers in Strathalbyn.

Tom Lynch (illness) and Reilly O’Brien (hip flexor) have also been ruled out.

Adelaide plays Essendon at Etihad Stadium on Friday, March 23, in its first home and away clash.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Geelong v Essendon JLT game is sold out? Couldn’t see an area to purchase tickets.

From the ticketmaster site it looks like there are tickets

http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/2018-jlt-community-series-geelong-cats-colac-victoria-11-03-2018/event/13005428C4F48CEA?artistid=1414842&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=711&tm_link=search_msg-0_13005428C4F48CEA

Seems if I go on there and try to get General Admin tickets I can but not in the grandstand

Seems the ground only holds 10,000. So capacity is low and I guess the grandstand is sold out.