2019 Draft Watch - it’s over, apart from all the remaining bits

All the draft watchers are saying this year is very tight outside the first 10 or so picks.

Hard to get a gauge on the interstaters before the Champs are done with.

He was one of my favourites coming into the season, seeing a confident, dashing kid from WA reminds me of a young Ben Cousins.

2 Likes
1 Like

What a ■■■■■■ up name to give a kid.
Parents need to be kicked in the clacker.

1 Like

Metro lose again to WA, inside mid Deven Robertson bog with 31 touches.

Trent Rivers a good game aswell with 22 touches and a goal, definitely a player going under the radar

What’s happening with Ralphsmith?
@THE_DON1 you were telling us that Mahony was a world beater at the beginning of the season. What’s up with him now?
Is Cooper Stephens the next big thing as a bodied mid?

RS hasn’t set the world on fire but is good for atleast a couple of freakish things a game, he gets drafted just a matter of where

I’ve gone very cold on Mahony, looks like Metro have decided he should focus on being a forward and despite being solid there are more exciting small forwards in this draft

Cooper Stephens is hard to rate, hoping to see more of him when he comes back from injury, not sold completely yet

2 Likes

A red sash on black side with a complete inability to recognise when they should put somebody “in the hole” - giving me flashbacks to the Sydney game.

Quite like Taheny though. Good overhead and I’m a big fan of the long sleeves.

2 Likes

Look out for Tyler Sonsie and Josh Sinn for the 2021 draft, some of the star leaders from the Country vs Metro games for the under 16s

1 Like

I’ll declare I have an interest in the Eastern Ranges guys through some long standing local club ties but they’re really happy with 3-4 kids there this year. Mellis, Stapleton, Ross and Rossiter in particular. There’s also a key forward and overage ruckman who’s played with Collingwood VFL a few times. What chances these guys get drafted? From what I’ve been told of Ross, he’s been playing as a key defender and has outstanding leadership qualities. It’s believed Bewick is a big fan of him. Could he be one we look at given the ages of Hooker & Hurley in particular? Mellis is a kid I’ve known for many years. I was coached by his dad many years ago. Is so dedicated to getting the best out of himself. I reckon he’ll thrive in a professional environment.

4 Likes

Big post championships phantom draft over on bf. From what little I know of the prospects looks like our rep did a nice job.

De Koning
K Pickett

T Dow

Note that it’s a ‘trial run’ so no consideration of father son or academy bidding.

1 Like

The other guy from Eastern that has performed well and appears to be rising on draft boards is Zac Pretty.

Where do you see Mellis making it at the next level? Mid? Forward? Jobber?

Thank god someone posted on here, I’ve been stuck unable to post haha

3 Likes

were there any picked that would be father/son academy picks.
the only F/s ones i could see were.
Finn McGuiness - Hawks
Jackson MEad - Port

That will make Hawks fans happy as if things stay as they are the will get 2 first rounders in this year.

Giants will have a 1st rounder in Green

Josh May 195cm 85kg mid/utility
Cooper Sharman athletic medium
Harvey Hooper small defender

rounded out that phantom for us.

@THE_DON1 Josh May and Cooper Sharman both seem decent mid/late draft options what’re your thoughts.

I don’t think Mitch is a jobber. He’d be a handy flanker/mid, the kind Dodoro seems to like. Has a strong body (for this level anyway) but I’d say he may lack a yard of pace for his size. Certainly reads the game well. He will get drafted, just a matter of where & who rates him.

I don’t think either are the right fit for us, Sharman is climbing the rankings in a hurry and is a good chance for top 40

Where do you see May going, late/rookie? and what sort of player would he likely become?

Sounds fairly similar to Ballard a couple years ago who’s now in the Sun’s defence.