2020 Board Election

This seems to be where we have failed. Again and again and again. Over and over.

Sounds to me as though you have a bit of a clue. I am no longer a member so can’t vote but I wish you all the best.
And @gaiwilliams

2 Likes

Sheedy should have been appointed to an appointed position. Not an elected position.

3 Likes

Good luck Gai, Hope you do well. I will vote for you over Wellman (achieved zero as board member) and Sheedy (a major cause of this 20 year debacle, when in trying to break games coaching record, he held on far too long, and did not willingly transition to new coach, splitting the supporter base).
First thing to do if elected, please dismiss the ex-fruiterer Dodoro. Dodoro is the only part of the broken machine that has not been replaced. Seems obvious to anyone outside our little boys" club bubble.

2 Likes

Sheedy should be hands on in the football department- bring some hardness and self belief to the players. Being on the Board is not the place for this.

2 Likes

Agree. Not well worded. I was thinking more about first time voters. 96% of members don’t vote. I think the chances of either Gai or myself being elected would benefit from more people voting. If the participation rate remains low then change on the Board seems less likely.

2 Likes

I accept the Board is ultimately accountable for on field performance. But I don’t believe this is best achieved by us dabbling in the football department. We need to make sure we have the best people that we can find from the Chief Executive down. We need to know that they have a plan, assess results against that plan, and seek corrective action when required. We need to provide the environment where staff and players can develop and grow. Just words I know. But we have to live it.

2 Likes

Under the Constitution the Board is required to appoint a Board Member to replace one who resigns, and then they need finish the term and then stand at the next election.

This is what is being done, so why do you have an issue. All open and transparent.

3 Likes

That’s fine. But we need to have a mix of board members that cover all areas from business/finance/risk and football.

LOL

1 Like

You a surrogate for Dodo or Sheedy? Dismissing Caracella, Milne, Heffernan, Hardwick, Jacobs in 2002-3 should have stamped their papers. Not a good start by Dodo. Then 2002 Shane Harvey #18, Reynolds #31, Laycock #10 etc. On and on it goes …
Done nought since, as it’s turned out.

Are the ballots mailed/emailed yet?

Before November 24 you will receive an email with candidate statements and voting instructions. Voting begins on November 27 at 9am and closes at 5pm on December 11. Postal votes can be requested but only until December 2.
Reminders to vote will be sent out during the voting window.
Wouldn’t be great if a high percentage of members voted - I encourage all members to get involved and be part of the process.

6 Likes

Welcome to blitz Garry, thanks for the write up and information. We definitely need change at the club and leadership from the board, the last 15 years of mediocrity has been painful.

You’ll have my vote. Good luck

1 Like

I don’t think I’d vote for a single member of the current Board if I had that choice!

1 Like

Agree with this.

Winning is obviously important. But I’ve been a member through the worst years of the clubs history, and the lack of winning wasn’t what made me decide to cancel my membership… it was the communication from the club.

I’m not talking about customer service from membership staff or fluffy social media posts. I’m talking about getting open & direct communication from the clubs administration.
I think we have been the worst club at this, since the Hird & Bomber partnership.

If Coach, Chairman and CEO aren’t being open, honest or simply don’t communicate to the Members… then the members don’t get any sense of the club’s Vision and eventually completely lose trust.

Thats where it has gotten. I’m staggered that Xavier Campbell is still the CEO, after the last 3-4 years and countless failings in recruitment.

3 Likes

Just because it’s open and transparent doesn’t make it right.

Really do not understand your issue.

The Board follows the rules appoints a replacement Memeber to see out three months of an existing term, who then has to face the Members at an election.

Who should have been appointed then ?

2 Likes

for some, the club constitution doesn’t override bad vibes

Following the nominations process, Essendon Football Club received FOUR (4) nominations for the TWO (2) available positions on the Board. In accordance with the Constitution of the Essendon Football Club, an election is required to determine these positions.

The candidates for election are:

• Garry Vistarini
  • Kevin Sheedy*
  • Gai Williams
  • Sean Wellman*

The asterisks (*) indicate current Board Members standing for election.