2020 Draft Watch (Part 1)

Back in my 18yo year (Carlisle draft) and around that time, calder cannons only recruited players over a certain height no matter what. There were players i played against that were very short but jeez they were very good footballers who didn’t even get a look in because of their rule they stuck by - height. There were players getting picked just cause they were tall but were below average footballers and they’d just hope they could turn them into something and be drafted. Furthest I got was to the 3rd round of cannons I wasn’t tall or short just average height but could kick goals and had sticky mitts!

6 Likes

I didn’t ask about Reef specifically, so your contact may have greater intel in that regard.

I ended up having a decent yarn with my mate as I found it all pretty fascinating. Asked them about how they deal with poorer endurance athletes at his club and if they’re forever destined to be crap aerobically.

‘It’s nature and nurture so [the athlete] would have genetic limitations but the application should improve it enough to reach a minimum AFL standard. Some blokes are better repeat speed than endurance eg [a big body inside mid at their club] and our talls, so they will do 10 x 200m instead of a 2km TT for their ‘endurance’ test’

Sounds like those types of players never become Phar Lap, but there are contingencies in place to get them to a required level without alleviating their existing strengths. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

@THE_DON1

Hi Mate really love your work and all your insights. With 3 Top picks we should smash it out of the Park this year, I reckon this draft will set us up for years.

That said would you please tell me your thoughts if we are a chance of nailing any of

McInnes, Philips, Bruhn, Perkins as our inside mids who should we get.

And,

I can’t split Cox and Reid for KPP , who is best for us in your view?

Cheers keep up the great work

Chapman is the kid with the special needs brother correct? I hope he gets picked by Freo tbh

Perkins 2019…2020

25 Likes

Here mate. I posted this a few years ago as some were interested. You may find interesting and could cross reference with your mate.

4 Likes

Specimen. Keep him away from Gerard Healy

5 Likes

Very true

2 more years and Perk will be Langford size.

2 Likes

The Norther Knights have a very similar philosophy from what I saw over recent years.

It probably helps to explain the apparent decline in skill level at AFL level.

1 Like

Look, I like Langford as much as most of us but I hope Perkins( if we get him) finds the ball more than Langford.

Langford in my mind is not a mid as much as he is trying to be. He doesn’t find the ball anywhere near as much as he should.
I wish he was played as high forward where he played his junior football, with just occasional bursts in the midfield.

3 Likes

And he’s a skater

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words

As an inside mid for our needs id pick McInnes, Perkins could end up that type but his time as a midfielder has been extremely limited. This would have been the year to answer any queries on his midfield potential.

As a genuine key position type I think Reid is the go but tbh I think Eyre and Brand will be more likely to hold key tall spots with the likes of Reid and Cox more likely to be a 2nd or 3rd fiddle preferring to create rather than be a key stopper or key forward target for either end.

8 Likes

Thanks L2L. I missed this when you first posted however it’s very informative, particularly during those periods where I may be overly quick to criticise a player’s performance. I maybe should have first reflected on the preceding history of his predisposition to maintain the necessary physiological state to perform.

1 Like

All true, but to look at you’d think he’d be one of the best players in the league. Go figure.

I dont know why but I have a feeling that Finlay Macrae is going to be one that we might regret not taking. Does anyone know why he may slip to the teens? They say he is better than his brother at the same age. Looks a very classy player like his brother. I’m just nervous because we really need to nail this draft.

4 Likes

That’s awesome stuff mate, Thankyou for sharing. Apologies for preaching to the choir as you obviously have an understanding of the nuances of high performance and im just relaying my much more intelligent mate’s info :joy:. I find the varying perspectives in this area very intriguing so will run it by him next time we catch up.

1 Like

Really hoping that a couple of the clubs pull a surprise in the top 5. If we could get a Phillips or even a Thilthorpe that would be ideal.

On video “highlights” (and completely aware that highlights are only that at the best of times, and this year are based on very limited matches, or matches from some time ago), I have questions on Perkins hurt factor with his disposals when compared to some of the top group. Is this completely unfounded?

1 Like

Clone_Hirdy 2019…2020

10 Likes

Ideally we get:
Pick 6 - Phillips/ Perkins
Pick 7 - Cox/ Reid
Pick 8 -
Scenario 1: Keep it and Reff (Bid)/ L Jones (Bid) - if matched, pick one of Tanner B/ Henry / Tom
Powell
Scenario 2: As mentioned everywhere, trade it with Pies for pick 16 (+ future 1st round) - and pick up the best talent available (hope like hell if one of Finlay M / Tanner B/ Henry/ Powell fall through) OR pick O’Driscoll/ Zane Threw/ Poulter…any decent talent we can get our hands on (this is where you might get the usual curveball from Jackets - who might pull out something no one’s ever heard)

Of course we ensure we pick up Eyre and Brand and load up for 2021.

1 Like