2021 BBFFL#2 Discussion

Welcome to the Bulls Errol!

6 Likes

I have Campbell in the other comp, great news!

They better pick wicks after his hand v gws

Ok, LTI replacement draft order is as follows:

  1. Smooth
  2. The Ant
  3. Fogdog
  4. Aceman
  5. Redbull
  6. Wezza
  7. Speedy
  8. Cafegarat
  9. Redbull

Please announce your pick over in the Draft thread (I’ll post the order there too) and Red will assign the players manually in UF.

It’d be great to get these nine picks done in the next day.

1 Like

Need for Speed - draft review

This was the first time I’ve been involved in a draft be in FF or Supercoach so was certainly all new for me. Entertaining as it turned out nonetheless albeit I’m impatient with delays, mainly since I quickly had it all planned out player wise at each pick (which mostly all worked out)

I’m a very logical practical thinker and detail driven so it was in a general sense easy for me to work methodically through the draft.

My team fell short in a prelim last year so I was around the mark and just had to build the squad.

I knew what areas of team needed to improve depth wise, given my midfield was already pretty well set having brought in Cunnington as depth, seen Caddy fire up again in preseason and had 3 x dual position players I could shift to midfield I was more about the other areas of list.

First round selection aside (best available) my initial aim was to get at least two bench players per section who have/might average 70 or near enough. I’d just keep moving to whichever section was lacking most as went down the draft. Once I felt happy with side then moved onto grabbing a few kids/younger players as I could see other coaches were picking them off quickly. In saying that it did seem to be that coaches were left with limited viable mature depth options later as a result.

Once I had grabbed a few younger players I didn’t really think there were many left who were any chance of playing so moved back to shoring up depth of mature players in defence and forward. Especially as had some injury risks already in the squad as depth.

THE DRAFT

16 - Logan McDonald (Syd) - F - 53. He’s going to play immediately so will be a scoring option. Potentially could have been the number 1 draft pick. And thus has currency should a team on the rise want to trade with me in mid season for a quality older player in my press towards a flag.

38 - Dane Rampe (Syd) - B - 73. At this pick I was intending to go a ruck having traded out McEvoy and Preuss LTI but was too hard to let Rampe go. I expect he will be scoring even better with this man on markrule given he constantly provides run and overlap.

52 - Sam Naismith (Syd) - R. Got the ruck I needed, he’s not too far off making it back to full training and I was especially happy I now had 3 x #1 rucks on my list. Given they are very hard for coaches to acquire some more trade currency for me come middle of the year

70 - Brody Mihocek (Col) - F- 68. Very consistent performer, Pies #1 goal kicker. Re-signed for 3yrs. He’s still got plenty left in tank.

88 - Trent McKenzie (Por) - B - 66. Had a ripper year for Port playing 15 games and becoming a mainstay and their kick out man. Again given how damaging that leg of his is, him being used more on overlap could also happen with the man on mark rule.

106 - Jake Melksham (Mel) - F - 58. Wasn’t the highest scoring year for Jake as the Dees were dissapointing but I figured with the addition of Ben Brown as a genuine focal point going to be more opportunities for a smart forward line player like Melk. He has previously averaged 70 and could do it again. I also just needed him to be a possible place holder until Gunston was back on park.

124 - Harry Sharp (Bri) - CB - 52. The first of my group of younger players, was rapt he was still there having seen him come on in a half post Rayner ACL injury and do really well - 10 possessions, kicked a goal. Coach loved his work post game for his competitiveness. He’s an elite runner which helps any player in modern game breaking 2km time trial record at combine.

142 - Quinten Narkle (Gee) - C - 62. I was initially upset got trumped on young Jackson Mead 3 picks earlier but upon further thought was happier with who I had lined up second for this pick. He’s shown can put decent scores on board when gets game time. Cats only need an injury to Higgins or Dahlhouse who are both getting on and he should see game time as fwd/mid

160 - Jacob Wehr (GWS) - B - 48. Mature age SANFL player, running HBF with great kick. GWS having lost Williams and others might see him come up quickly and get games for them.

178 - David Mackay (Ade) - B - 65. Older player but one of the hardest running wingers, will expect he will still be getting games and the Crows need some experience. Missed the preseason game just due to a concussion precaution IIRC. Handy scoring depth player. .

187 - LTI selection - Ben Brown (NM) - F -67. As I noted in other thread, pretty amazed he was still here down this far. I wanted to pick him earlier but was trying to address other things. As a bonus pick I can’t really go wrong, and he could easily become a forward line high performer having averaged 70 over multiple years with North previously. Might even go better at the Dees.

Current best 18 on player predicted averages

B: Crisp97 Short87 Smith86 Vlaustin77 Rampe73
C: Oliver113 Treloar110 Shuey97 Sheed92 Langdon91 Anderson85
F: Langford83 Lambert80 Gunston76 Duryea 73 Elliot70
R: Gawn117
U: Cunnington80

I think I will go alright. And my depth is well set.

Bring on the season

I feel the Neeeddd for Speeed!!! Arribbbaaa aribbbaaa andale andale!

7 Likes

Trade Analysis/Lead-in: Fun fact is I don’t have any players left from when I inherited this side a few years back. An absolute hectic trade period this year; 11 individual trades with some huge names included, over 10 players traded out, absolute carnage for our keepers. I think this is the most effort I’ve put in for a trade period, even for me. I’m really excited for the shape of my list, and genuinely believe I’m on track for my 3 year rebuild, with this year being year 2 after cleaning out house last year. Last year was the clean out after inheriting a bunch of mostly oldies, and this year was the big midfield drive.

Big two I really hated losing in the trade period was Lachie Ash and Cam Rayner (who did a knee a week later.) The rest I’ll live with. Some good players traded out but holding onto nearly 30 year olds didn’t have a place in my rebuild so all expendable to complete my vision. Ash will be a gun, so it hurts to lose him but necessary to obtaining Cerra, who I wanted to complete my ultimate midfield plan. In my mind Ash gets replaced by Burton who is a gun when fit, and Greaves whom I think is very fantasy relevant off the half-back and worth the risk. Brayshaw effectively for pick 4 came about as I didn’t rate this draft at all outside literally the first 2/3 picks. I knew Phillips, Powell and Campbell would all be gone early so seemed smart to take a ready made young midfielder in it’s place. I didn’t target Constable as a trade-in specifically, but he is a fantasy pig that averaged over 80 is his first year and if he can get going finally then it’d be an absolute bonus.

The other lesser light signings: Ham, Cunningham, Rotham and Rioli were signed for late picks due to the sheer volume of players traded out, and literally not having enough keepers, at that point I had 18 odd players on the list with one of them Ben Brown. Not expecting huge things from them, but all are promising at worst. Ham I can see working himself into my keepers at years end if he can develop his game but heading into the draft it meant I was sorted for midfielders and looking to other areas if the field to further work on.

— Draft Review —

Pick 8 - Archie Perkins (FC): Forwards is a weakness for me given I traded out a bit of forward talent over the past year, so I wanted to address it early, and sadly outside the top few there were no obvious standouts. Cox was an option at this pick, but Perkins to me stood out as his ability to play forward and the fact he’ll get strong midfield time down the track. 25 disposals on the weekend is a good sign and I’m hoping he plays in the first half of the year. Hopefully he can become my Bontempelli in a few years.

Pick 28 - Jack Ziebell (F) : Potentially surprised a few by drafting a 30 year old. But on paper seems a smart decision and had to get him just for the sake that he’ll be a back by end of year and potentially averaging 80+. A crisp 80+ from the half-back line last weekend made this an easy choice to cement by backline (despite the fact he’s a forward atm.)

Pick 34 - Riley Bonner (B) : The old boom or bust pick, could be screap-heap or pure gold. He can score well, and did put on an impressive 120+ last weekend, throw in talks of him playing more on the wings this year it seemed like a very promising choice that could well be a fantastic find at this stage of the draft. The risk here lies with his job stability, as Port have a very strong team and he’s always on the cusp. If he can have a breakthrough year my defence will be set.

Pick 58 - Adam Tomlinson (CB) : Interesting player is Tomlinson. Averaged a career high 70’s before last year, which I’m hoping was a bit of an outlier and he can certainly score well if given freedom. I’m worried that this selection will end up being a bust if Melbourne use him overly defensively which will impact his scoring potential. Best case scenario I’ve picked up a 75+ defender. Worst case around 55-65.

Pick 72 - Jacob Kozitschke (B) : He obviously had an impressive practice game with 6 goals, and the fact he’s listed as a defender is confusing, but he could well be a steal after good pre-season hype around him. Was bafflingly drafted at pick 6 in the other draft which was way too high but he’s definitely worth a pick in the 70’s.

Pick 74 - Bailey Dale (F) : This is where I wasn’t sure exactly where to go, but wanted to try and find some more forwards and it’s where I looked back to old mate Dale after trading him out last year. An impressive showing against Melbourne put his name back in lights and reminded me of the scoring potential he showed to end 2019 when he averaged nearly 90 in the last few months of that year.

Pick 102 - Kaiden Coleman (F) : I think he’ll be a good player but his fantasy impact is still in question. I don’t doubt he can find an average of around 60 but if he can push that further remains to be seen and if the Lions want to give him some more midfield time. His job security is set early but needs form to stay in the side.

Pick 111 - Kieran Briggs (FB) : With Pruess out and Flynn being not sold as second ruck backup, it seemed a smarter decision to draft someone that whilst slightly behind is still in the running for a backup ruck position. Played last weekend andgood. Once again I’ve drafted a player whoms position is 100% wrong.

Pick 163 - Taylin Duman (B) : I think he’s a bargain pick. Averaged 63 in 2018, 65 in 2019 and is just 22 years old. If he can replicate that scoring and maybe even push upwards a little he’s a steal for this late in the draft.

Pick 176 - Atu Bosenavulagi (F): A bit of a rushed pick, I know Atu was traded into a poor North side so potentially game time at worst. Not sure where his scoring capability is and is odds on to be first delisted from the draft pack.

B: Jordan Clark - Harry Cunningham
HB: Ryan Burton - Damon Greaves - Riley Bonner
C: Bailey Smith - Jarrod Berry - Sam Walsh
HF: Archie Perkins - Jack Ziebell - Elliott Himmelberg
F: Daniel Rioli - Bailey Dale
R: Reilly O’Brien - Matt Rowell - Andrew Brayshaw - Adam Cerra
Utility: Blake Acres

INT: Charlie Constable - Willem Drew - Jacob Kozchitzke - Jake Waterman

Reserve:
Braydam Ham
Adam Tomlinson
Taylin Duman
Matthew Kennedy
Kaiden Coleman
Josh Rotham
Kiren Briggs
Atu Bosenvaulgi

Team Analysis: Midfield is my core strength. O’Brien in the ruck lead by Rowell, Smith, Walsh, Brayshaw, Berry and Cerra are locks for the next decade and Acres (who bafflingly lost forward position) averaged 90+ in the last month and is a lock as utility until he can hopefully get back a forward position. Drew has shown excellent form as a Rockliff replacement so he’s promising and Constable I’m hoping can also be a mammoth scorer; just needs games.

Defence is developing but starting to take shape. Clark showed how good he can be last weekend with a 120+ and should be one of my best players; but just can’t get into that Geelong side with their anti-youth policy. Burton too is a star if he can stay fit and Greaves I have high hopes on. From there I’m hoping I can find a few more to round out my defence.

Forwardline is the weak spot. Praying Perkins becomes a gun and Ziebell will score well for as long as he remains a forward. High hopes for Himmelberg too but the rest will cost me some games due to some low scores. Definitely a work in progress.

7 Likes

oh we’re doing best 22s in here, of course. Step aside lads.

B - Sheppard, Saad, Dawson, Aish©, Nelson
C- Gaff, Lyons, Ross, Higgens, Polec, Shiels
R - Goldstein
F - Dunkley©, Higgens, Papley, Lonie, Darling
U - Stanley Ā®

Int: Harbrow (B), O’brien Ā©, Burgoyne (F), Jones (C/f)

1 Like

Really need @cafegerat to take his LTI pick so I can complete my team!

Seems a bit unfair if teams start coming out?

Done, very sorry lads, completely forgot.

Melkmen draft review:

I think one mistake I have made in the past is taking too many injuries into my 20 keepers, so this year I was very much trying to make sure I had a good spread of players who I knew would play round 1 and wasn’t trying to use the draft to plug holes.

This influenced a couple of my late trades, swapping Gunston for McEvoy, which I think will be a win/win trade with Speedy. I only brought Gunston in last trade period, but I was a bit nervous about carrying he, Buddy, Daniher and Tom Lynch in my forwards, given it looks like Gunston will miss the start of the year. McEvoy is a couple of years older, but helps with a key weakness in my squad which is ruck options.
The second late trade I made was bringing in Jeremy Cameron to shore up my forwards. This involved a number of 3rd-5th round picks being pushed out to 100+. I think the gamble was worth taking that he will bounce back and at the very least he should play from round 1.

Backs: Zac Williams, Luke Ryan, Brayden Maynard, John Noble, James Harmes, (Ben McEvoy), Nic Newman
Mids: Tim Taranto, Hugh McCluggage, Sam Menegola, Rory Sloane, Dyson Heppell, Marc Murphy, Patrick Lipinski
Ruck: Stef Martin, (Ben McEvoy)
Forwards: Dayne Zorko, Jeremy Cameron, Joe Daniher, Tom Lynch (the worse one), Lance Franklin

As a result, I was actually very happy with my 20 keepers. I had no draft hand with my first pick at 101, but looking at my best 18, my backs were rock solid, mids aren’t amazing but run pretty deep, ruck is rubbish, but willing to back Stef Martin/McEvoy in for this season and my forwards are also pretty rubbish. OK, not an amazing 20, but all I needed from the draft was long-term prospects and probably 2 forwards who are going to play round 1. And that is something I thought was achievable with all my picks 100+

Pick 101 - Charlie Lazzaro Ā©
Best available prospect. I may be way off here, but I think he should’ve been off the board quite a lot earlier. Reports seem to have been positive in pre-season and played in North’s pre-season game, albeit only a half, so maybe isn’t too far off a debut. In a way I actually like picking this deep because there seem to be stages in the draft and picks 50-100 seem to be people scrambling for youngish best 22 players with some scope to improve their scoring, so more speculative prospects in terms of gametime seem to slide.

Pick 112 - Anthony Scott (F/C)
I was conscious here that I needed a forward who was going to play round 1 and that there were very few centres likely to feature round 1 for depth. Opted to focus on bringing in the mid (the forward status was a bonus). Mature ager who was looking good for round 1 at this stage and has now been confirmed to debut. Who knows what his scoring will be like, but worth a punt. VFL scoring was mid 70s, so may be OK, but unlikely to set the world alight.

Pick 119 - Tom McDonald (F)
Needed to pick the forward with this pick or the following one. Coming off a terrible couple of years so unlikely to get worse. Has previously averaged 80+ so was worth a speculative punt. Will probably still be terrible

Pick 120 - Luke Valente Ā©
Unsure on this one. Initial reports in pre-season were positive and his scoring in juniors was very good. When picking this deep I try to find players who may not have been involved in pre-season games but could still be in the best 25-26 at their club. Valente was injured for a couple of weeks in Feb, hence why he didn’t feature in the AAMI series and returned to play a WAFL praccy game last week. Doesn’t mean he is close to getting games, but again happy to take a punt on someone who has OK scoring history if he can break through.

Pick 137 - Jackson Mead Ā©
Best available prospect. Seems to be developing well at Port. May struggle to get games given how deep their squad is, but again worth a punt.

Pick 153 - Jayden Hunt (F)
Forward depth. One thing which I am trying to think more about is squad versatility. I’ve got Heppell who is likely to become a BC mid-season, Marc Murphy could maybe become a FC. Hunt is back to playing defence so should grab FB which again allows me to take more long-term prospects in my 30. Has averaged 70 down back previously so happy with the choice at this stage of the draft.

Pick 154 - Lincoln McCarthy (F)
Probably a mistake. I picked him again as forward depth and because he attended quite a few centre bounces in pre-season and Lions have said they will be including guys like McCarthy in more mid-rotations. Expecting this will move his average from completely useless to still fairly useless but maybe someone I could play, but who knows. Hindsight says maybe I should have picked a defender.

Pick 162 - Jeremy Sharp Ā©
Best available prospect. You may see a pattern forming. Basically aside from the forwards I needed for depth, I think one of the real strengths I had with my keepers was that I could take a lot of prospects from any position and not have to scramble for best 22 players. I had Sharp last year and happy to pick him up again. 2nd round pick in the previous draft and hopefully breaks through for more games this year.

Pick 167 - Sam Philp (F/C)
Similar reasoning to Valente. He has been injured in pre-season which is why he wasn’t been involved in the AAMI game. Who knows if he does play at some stage. Once again a early-ish previous pick that I’m happy to carry for a bit on the off chance he isn’t completely terrible.

Pick 168 - Lachie Bramble Ā©
Probably should’ve picked a defender or the other guy I was tossing up here Ned McHenry. But a late SPP pick in a pretty crappy Hawthorn team who was involved in their AAMI game, so worth a gamble. Don’t really know anything about the guy.

Overally, picked prospects and forwards. Relatively happy given they were all 100+, but would probably be happy with two keepers out of that group.
Have gambled slightly with my defenders in round 1 with Zac Williams suspended. Likely to have 5 players and that’s it. Figured if Williams is back round 2 and Heppell/Hunt could get back status by round 4 I probably shouldn’t waste a pick on someone I may need for 1 round. But hopefully this goes my way at teams.

3 Likes

Best 22 & Reserves

Not how I will probably select them, but line-up based on last years scoring.


B: B. Houli, S. Hurn, H. Hartlett, C. Mayne, L. Henderson


C: T. Rockliff, M. Duncan, S. Pendlebury, J. Kennedy, E. Curnow, B. Ellis


F: D. Martin, T. Hawkins, I. Smith, J. Newnes, L. Breust


U: D. Mundy


R. J. Witts


INT: R. Clarke, R. Conca, L. Casboult, D. Zaharakis


RES: C. Ah Chee, T. Membrey, R. Lester, J. Riewoldt, C. Hooker, K. Farrell, S. Reid, T. Hickey

So how is the whole FA being handled this round and i guess this year?

there won’t be FAs prior to round 1 games

unsure if it has been decided how to handle things beyond that

1 Like

well that was an absolutely thrilling conclusion to the draft, edge of you seat stuff.

Do we have a rolling lockout?
Or is it set an forget and bounce time today?

Rolling lockouts will exist all season.

Free agency yet to be addressed.

Stringer, Atkins, Marshall and Rozee all unavailable. Not a bad quartet. The drafting strategy is going to get an early test.

It’s bloody annoying that Saturday teams aren’t announced on a Thursday anymore.

2 Likes

Cotchin, Sidebottom and SPP all missing and that’s just the ones I know about :rofl:

Damn Pickett a late inclusion after I left him out