2021 round 1 vs Hawks - level-headed review

The worst Essendon game I have attended since the 2014 elimination final

Got a pretty good cheer from the fans at half time.

About as blue collar as the birdcage at the cup carnival.

Got a lesson in blue collar from Tom Mitchell.

7 Likes

Not a great way to lose but their first half gives me great confidence in this young group working to a new plan. Will be a long season and one I will enjoy watching. Bring on Port.

1 Like

I think tonightā€™s game proved why guys like Zach, Hepp, Smith, Shiel arenā€™t fit for leadership positions. When we are getting pummelled they went back into their shells.

We donā€™t have anyone who is in that sweet spot of 26-30 who has the presence and ability to pull the team together and to get them to refocus.

That is the thing that is damaging the team the most at the moment in my honest opinion, nothing else.

We need to really get the next generation of leaders fast tracked ASAP

7 Likes

When everyone reminds themselves that we are in rebuild mode itā€™s a whole lot easier to swallow. Itā€™s all about the SUPER DRAFT!

9 Likes

Will be a great key forward. Goal kicking yips in your first game is not unexpected

2 Likes

Oh yeah Port away next week.

Fun

2 Likes

ā€œBLUE COLLAR CULTUREā€

Yeah get farked Rutten

No itā€™s not itā€™s Worsfolds fault

I mean sorry itā€™s Ruttenā€™s faultā€¦I think. Probably.

Anyway there is nooooooooo way itā€™s become ingrained into our culture no no no no no way

Itā€™s Hamsā€™ fault

Yeah and then in the actual count he was never anywhere even at the start of the year. He was getting over-hyped based on him being a big name trade at a big Melbourne club. It was his best purple patch for Essendon but that isnā€™t saying muchā€¦

Thatā€™s exactly what we are. Iā€™d be surprised if we won more than 6 games this year. Thatā€™s the reality. Iā€™m just ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off that weā€™ve lost a game, a winnable game, against a team in and around where we will finish on the ladder, after blowing a 40 point lead.

3 Likes

Guess whoā€™s going to Adelaide next weekā€¦

The horror, the horror

1 Like

FARTTTTT!

I went into this game with an open mind and low expectations. In my wildest dreams I didnt expect to choke a 40 point lead or see our players so utterly gassed for most of the second half

1 Like

Glad I didnā€™t wear any essendon colours to the game literally embarassing flowing this clubb

Itā€™s round 1

The worst part about this is all the happy clappers (not on this site) coming out of their caves with the usual comments. " ā– ā– ā– ā–  off and find a new team to follow". ā€œIā€™m proud of the effort, we have a young team they will learn from that and bounce backā€. ā– ā– ā– ā–  off already you wasters, you deserve this

I look forward to seeing how exactly we do that

The first thing you do against Essendon is put a spare out the back. We always leave them behind when we move up the ground. Itā€™s comical. 20 years. Rolled with four different coaches.

7 Likes