2023 trade talk (Part 1)

It’s why Bryan needs to replace Phillips as the relief ruckman, full time. Don’t give him a reason to want to leave.

It would also mean that any ruckman we recruit will either be a developing type, or one who’s happy to tag along as a reserve, like a Tom Campbell.

2 Likes

Why would we lose Bryan? Phillips has a limited future, there’s an opportunity for Bryan if he wants it.

Having said that, if Bryan wants to be the undisputed number one ruck, then he will probably get more tenure and that specific role elsewhere.

Because it may be out of our hands. Bryan could well get offers elsewhere.

Can’t really see any club that can offer him the no1 ruck role as soon as next year, maybe GWS?

So if he did move he would be going as a number 2 back up (he hasn’t proven he can play fwd, so can’t see him being offered a duel role).

Hence, if we say he will be our no2 next year and give him a nice contract. I think he would stay

Would be first ruck at Port or at least play in the ones every week.
If we want yo keep him he needs to play a couple of games this year and be made our number 2 for next year and beyond. If he is only going to be playing VFL next year then it’s a pretty easy decision for him to make IMO.

3 Likes

He’s not getting 1st ruck anywhere IMO

Will be wrecked by experienced mature rucks in same way Tim English was early days, and Dogs went and got Stefan Martin to have as a senior ruck for interim period

Agreed he should be lining up to be our #2 and he will be getting paid better than what many in reserve players would over being reliant on games payments with a low base wage

2 Likes

I don’t know how Essendon sees Bryan fitting in. I don’t think he influences aerially which limits his options given our number 1 ruck is Draper. Bryan has attributes, I just don’t know how good these need to be to find a staple spot in Essendon’s side given we have Wright, Jones, Weid earmarked for the forward line in whatever format.

1 Like

Agree, but things could change, maybe he does improve his marking.

We just can’t afford to lose him at 21yo, as his price will be low. If he stays for another 2 years, at 23yo we will know what he have on our hands and if he did move his value would likely be more.

Not many Rucks under 24 standing out in the league (except Jackson)

Agree. I think he’s a talented prospect. I think he needs to improved his contested marking as well as his physicality in contests. He needs to assert himself more, although as he becomes stronger hopefully this improves. I certainly hope they keep him, his journey has been intriguing to follow so far.

If only our current ruckman was in his 30’s and was looking knackered, not impacting the game etc and we had a couple of games in a row against rubbish teams to see where Bryan was at… typical Bombers, never getting the luck.

4 Likes

A trip to Perth is the perfect time to rest Phillips and play Bryan. Let’s see what Brad is made of

12 Likes

This is the kind of talk that worries me.

Not the part about playing Bryan but the bit where this is a game we can take easy and rest players.

1 Like

Phillips has been terrible for a few weeks now and looks absolutely gassed.
Bryan has been playing some good footy and could offer us more around the ground in Perth.
I would actually consider it an upgrade rather than a downgrade or “rest” like you suggest

12 Likes

I’m more concerned about the prospect of resting Phillips.

I want to see the three greatest words in the English language - O MIT TED.

When Bryan comes in, he will play for the next 10 years…unless we delist him before the 10 years.

What does it matter ?

If he is Omitted there is zero chance he plays 2nds.

Omitted/Managed…same/same

I’m pretty sure we ‘managed’ Phillips a couple of times last year, didn’t we?

Yep, as soon as he had a quiet game, he was out Managed.

1 example was after the 2nd Coll game where he had 5disp 1 mark.

Im shocked he has played as many in a row as he has.

2 Likes

Figure we’ve been so hammered with our tall stocks this year that we’re committed to playing 2 rucks just to get some height in the side. It’s starting to look like time for a ‘rest’ though.

1 Like

The only explanation i can put forward, is that Brad Scott’s preference for a 2 ruck set up has meant they are happy to flog Phillips (in likely his last season), before exposing Bryan to Senior footy again too early.

Surely, this has to be an opportune week for a ‘Managed’ scenario, and Bryan has a good month of solid footy under the belt !