#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I just see hepp walking around with a hand. Some kind of monkey fist.

https://twitter.com/essendonfc/status/829970663947395072

What just dawned on me is this.

Dyson Heppell is our next premiership captain.

1 Like
What just dawned on me is this.

Dyson Heppell is our next premiership captain.

this needs more likes

Just came across this - Nice to hear Dys speak of James. …
Dyson Heppell will follow James Hird’s advice to make his own mark as captain

GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun
February 11, 2017 8:00pm

DYSON Heppell has “no doubt” James Hird will return to the fold at Essendon one day, insisting he will use some of his former coach’s words of advice as he embarks on the Bombers’ captaincy.

As Hird was emerging from rehabilitation following a suspected overdose last month, Heppell was sparing a thought for the man who led Essendon through its most difficult period and who was now dealing with the fallout.

Asked if he had been in touch with Hird in recent times, Heppell said they had not spoken.

“(But) I have reached out (to him) over the last couple of months, so I understand that will be down the track,” he said.

He was confident that Hird, who hasn’t been seen at Essendon since he left the coaching role in August 2015, would one day reconnect with the club where he played 253 games, won two premierships and was once one of its favourite sons.

“No doubt, mate,” Heppell said when asked if he expected the 44-year-old to re-establish links with the club at the appropriate time in the future.

“I would love to see that happen.”

But Heppell will use the advice Hird gave him when he took over as acting captain in the second half of the 2015 season following the season-ending injury to Jobe Watson to make his own mark as the club’s full-time leader.

“The first message I got from him (about the captaincy in 2015) was to make your own stamp on the role, to be your authentic self,” Heppell said this week.

“He said at the time that there was no need to copy what Jobe does, that’s the main message I’ve been given.

“I won’t be the same as Jobe or the same as BJ (Brendon Goddard). You are in the role for a reason and there is no reason to be changing what you are doing.

“I know I will get great support from people such as Jobe and BJ, who have done it for a number of years, as well as the young guys such as Joey (Daniher) and Zach (Merrett). But I’ll also be trying to put my own stamp on it as well.”

Just gotta slip in a cheap shot, don’t they.

The print edition headline of that Glenn McFarlane article - in big bolded letters - is : “Hird will be back”

Just gotta slip in a cheap shot, don't they.
Hirdy was Dysons first coach at Essendon so no doubt he has great regard for Hirdy, like many players at the club. It looks as though what Dois means by "my own authenticity" is that he says what he thinks, and thats refreshing. I sense that key players in the industry don't want any mention of the "H" word at this point, but the papers know its good for clicks and will ask the questions and print the answers. Yes they will print the cheap shots and as we have seen recently, they will print errors/lies as well.

theres a cheap shot in that? bit sensitive.

and was once one of its favourite sons.

favourite son is a title you can lose and gain again, so i think its a fair comment, but anyway, moving on

It was a cheap shot. A non-Essendon person does not get licence to speak on behalf of the supporters of a club.

favourite son is a title you can lose and gain again, so i think its a fair comment, but anyway, moving on

Noooooooooo!
Not the M word!

Genuine question: Who was the non Essendon person?

The Author.

I assume??

Who TF is Glenn McFarklane?

Sorry, must have missed something. There were lots of direct quotes, the rest I saw as drawing on what HeppD said, including valued advice from the then COACH, not the player legend. HeppD seems pretty media savvy and iisn’t he yet to be match day coached by Woosha?

Ok, I’ll keep my big mouth shut next time.

Sorry, not having a go at anyone, I just read it differently and thought I was missing something, I was very only seeking clarification. I might need to choose my words more carefully next time.

Nah, wasn’t really responding to anyone BA. As BSD mentioned there was a cheap shot at Hird in there. The rest of the article was good though.

Nah, wasn't really responding to anyone BA. As BSD mentioned there was a cheap shot at Hird in there. The rest of the article was good though.

Huh??

HowManyGoal? said:
Just gotta slip in a cheap shot, don’t they.