#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I don’t believe that for one second.

The hawks game this year when he told BJ to fark off. That’s leadership.

As it was when he went back and slotted the goal.

The vision of him ‘coaching’ Walla on the bench. That is leadership.

His reactions to BJ in general during pretzel-gate and more importantly when BJ got overly aggressive with him onfield.

He has the requisite leadership traits.

What he is struggling with is his form, which is something that all captains have to deal with from time to time.

Also, we had a lot more grunt in the middle when Hepp was up and running a couple of years ago. Jobe was an absolute beast and Hocking would block like his life depended on it.

Jobe is a shadow of himself at the moment and nobody blocks for anyone in our team forward of centre.

Hepp will come good. We need to remember this isn’t schoolyard footy, we are talking about professional sport here.

1 year out of the game is massive for an elite athlete.

8 Likes

Thats rich from the guy that gave it to a player that didn’t even ■■■■■■■ play.

4 Likes

He told bj to ■■■■ off.

then also said in interviews after the game that BJ was right and he should have gone for langford.

First time in his career i’ve seen dois kick that far from a set shot.

1 Like

Because he’s a good leader.

Must be.

I hope so, I keep repeating to myself that saying ‘form is temporary, class is permanent’.

1 Like

Dys will come good. He carried the side as Jobe fell away during the saga. His form and career trajectory was continually building even during this time. He’s not the quickest mid, so if anyone was going to struggle to come back to the rigours of AFL it would be him.

I think my trepidation about hepp as captain is he seems to be more outside than inside this year. Doesn’t seem to rip the ball out and give it off. He’s great at intercepting off the half back but I don’t think its enough.

Someone will probably prove me wrong with stats but that’s just my take.

Doesn’t seem all that upset/phased at yesterday’s performance. Says they don’t need to make drastic change, but fortunately there’s some fantastic form going on in the VFL.

Yeah nah, Dys.

Edit: Also during today’s conference had to be pointed out to him that Mark Harvey and Xavier Campbell were far more upset about things that he was.

This is the second time this year Dyson’s gone on record as being out of touch with the administration/coaches.

cut your fkn hair Dyson. You’re not a teenager anymore and the captain of this footy club. At least look like a skipper.
Spoken by a guy with a rapidly disappearing head of hair!!
But seriously, I am pretty underwhelmed by his captaincy so far. In the recent past, even when we were rubbish we had a strong skipper. Now we are still ■■■■■ and our captain does little that is obvious for his team to follow. The best skippers set the tone - I don’t see that from Heppell.
(I do from Hurley though - from protecting team mates, attack on ball and opposition, from consoling Gleeson after last week etc).

3 Likes

The captain has to be an inside mid?

1 Like

Wow, rewriting history to go with our moods now are we all?

3 Likes

You missed the bit it where he said nobody was more disappointed than the playing group?

1 Like

Needs to be leading when we’re giving up 20 point leads in the 4th quarter. and can’t rely on others to get the ball

The way he said everything was fairly unconvincing.

So much so, that as I mentioned, it had to be pointed out to him how much more disappointed the administration and coaches were than he appeared to be.

He seemed about as disappointed that we didn’t play well yesterday as you would be that the new Transformers movie wasn’t good.

He looked pretty flat to me… like absolute ■■■■ actually. If you don’t think he’s livid about that performance I reckon you’re kidding yourself to be honest. But hey, you’re entitled to your opinion.
But you know what, putting all that aside, what would you have him say? You want to go all doom and gloom like the sky is falling in? You want him to publicly declare the season is cooked? Like they’re menstally weak? He insinuated the leaders didn’t stand up, he’s suggested blokes were selfish, that’s pretty damning stuff I’d have thought. Anymore and you risk divisions within the playing group because blokes feel like they’re being hung out to dry.

1 Like

I’d have appreciated a more ‘this needs to stop’ tone than a ‘oh I guess it happened again’ tone.

I know Woosh doesn’t give much away either, but I’m less convinced with Heppell’s demeanour today than Worsfold’s yesterday. And I haven’t been convinced with Heppell’s leadership this year, especially compared to Zach Merrett who clearly stood up last year.

7 Likes

the new transformers movie was much better than what we served up yesterday and that is saying something

8 Likes

Probably a tad premature to be questioning Dyson’s captaincy so early in his tenure. I bet he is still trying to find his way in the role. He has inherited it at a very young age, and I’ve heard numerous captains in the AFL say that the first year they were caught in between in terms of trying to be too much like their predecessor or being somebody that they’re not and maybe forcing it too much. I’d say by this time next year Dys will have a far better handle on it.

4 Likes

I’d play him off HBF in the Luke Hodge mould.

Although - that kinda is the role that Hurley plays.