#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I saw the quote from Xavier but what did Harvey say?

Throw away line “Sunday ■■■■■■ Sunday” in the coaches post match video. Nothing so direct as Campbell’s tweet.

I was someone who quite liked Hurl’s as an option for captain but I really like Hepp as a leader.

He’s a professional and has very high standards but he’s also a very “up” person.

Given the knocks that come by way of being an Essendon person and especially captain, I think it’s important to have a personality that could withstand criticism.

I think it would get to Hurls in a hurtful way that would send him deeply introverted and he’d struggle to front the media whilst dealing with those feelings. Hepps is more naturally geared to deal with it.

But I see Hurley and Hepp and as the senior players the young guys would look up to and respect for their professionalism and ability to lead. Jobe nearly got us across the line with the goal he created for Tippa. Jobe just busts a gut without fail.

I would like to see Hepp and Hurley (as well as Joe and Hooker) respond this week and lead the young players.

I also regret the dropping of Myers as I think he’s capable of resting a game’s momentum back in our direction.

With Myers in I think we win the last 2 games because of his ability to physically get into clearances and get the ball going back the other way against the tide and his ability to stick tackles.

2 Likes

Essendon assistant coach Mark Harvey said it reminded him of a song - Sunday ■■■■■■ Sunday.

The Bombers’ shock eight-point AFL loss to bottom side Brisbane at Etihad Stadium has prompted a furious reaction throughout the club.

Bombers chief executive Xavier Campbell vented his frustration on Twitter and the club’s official feed then retweeted the post.

“Not good enough. Not even close. Fans deserve so much better. 41,000 came out today and we let you down,” Campbell wrote.

1 Like

Confusing on field game performance with leadership and captaincy is a mistake, i reckon.
If Hepp played a blinder, you would all be saying what a great captain he is.

I f he was fire and brimstone after the loss, you would cheer and say that’s what we needed. And if we lost the week after that, you’d claim he was ineffectual and weak.

If he talked strong and had a bad game, you’s say he did follow his own words. If he played great as an individual but the team lost, it would be bad leadership and selfish play - he can’t do both well.

Let’s face it - a ■■■■■■■ big loss ■■■■■■■ hurts and nothing is right till a few wins wash it away. That’s fine. Don’t confuse things though.

4 Likes

You need to re watch/listen.

He said he was aware of Xavier’s comments and was totally in agreement with them.

Of course he tried to put some positive spin on the form and their ability to turn it around. That’s part of his job.

Overall I thought it was an impressive eight minutes under what must have been very trying circumstances.

He acknowledged fans deserve better. Can’t argue with that.

3 Likes

When he’s on he a great player, I’m thinking that Hawthorn game, first quarter against Collingwood, first half against Freo, most of the Geelong game. But he goes missing for long, long periods, more than most “elite” midfielders and going missing when the team needs you is poor leadership. I’m really hoping it’s just this year.

Thought Heppell played an excellent game. He was nearly back to his best winning quality clearances. He will improve even more when Jobe retires as he will take his place.

8 Likes

Our captain wears dreadlocks and a vice captain has a bun. God help,us!

2 Likes

I don’t understand that logic nor think Heppell had anything near an excellent game.

1 Like

His form this year has fluctuated for the first time in his career. Played a couple of blinders early…Hawks Pies Cats. Has had a calf and finger issue. Don’t jump off

2 Likes

I agree that he should be more forceful it dictating play, I was just confused that you seem to be saying that the captain should be an inside mid.

Heppell needs to watch some more Hird, a guy who stepped up and dominated play when we needed someone.

I am not sure he is that type of player though, seems to be more of structure player rather than creactive.

Nah it was a ■■■■ way to say i don’t think hes doing enough to warrant the badge. Just seems to be sitting back and hoping the others do stuff.

1 Like

Like others I think he should not have been made captain this year, BJ should have stayed, it would have allowed him to get back into his game without the added pressure.

1 Like

I reckon it should’ve gone to zach. looks the most outwardly driven player we’ve got.

FMD

1 Like

I can’t say that that press conference gave me a lot of inspiration. More of the “Don’t worry we’ll be right next week” that we have heard too often before.

2 Likes

I don’t care what they say - actions speak louder than words.

3 Likes

I hope Xavier vented much worse in a face to face meeting with the players. As one of the 41k who turned up on one of my precious days off I was ■■■■■■■ livid with that pathetic performance.

Still, I reckon it a about once a year we have “the players are deeply disappinted with themselves and have let the fans down”.

Actions you muppets

3 Likes

I reckon every team has that at least once a year tbh.

2 Likes