#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

You see it as a loss, some see it as a culmination of the last decade of pure mediocrity.

Yes, I’ve noticed how people like to connect up disparate units of failure over different seasons, different coaches, different playing lists, different administrators and attempt to draw a picture of some ‘over-arching’ malaise. I differ in my assessment.

2 Likes

He played a good game against Brisbane. Was very good at the clearances which was a feature of his play in his AA year of 2014.

I worry when you thought Stanton would be a regular in 2017. He was on the decline in 2015.

1 Like

No he wasn’t, what bs. Stants had a solid '15. His decline started in rnd 1 this year when he was moved to the hbf.

6 Likes

Mate, if you’re banking on a win to justify turning up to a game played by Essendon Football Club on one of your precious days off, you’re ■■■■■■■ precious.

There is a difference between a loss like that and a loss like we have had against Adelaide and giants this season.

Indeed.

The Essendon Football Club has failed in so many ways, on so many different levels, over such a long period of time, it would be foolish to suggest it was just one particular underlying issue.

You might even say that EFC are innovators when it comes to failure given as you point out, the disparate and varied nature of said failures over time.

Just a bit of fun RTBC, I am interested to hear your differing assessment/view though?

My line of thinking is that watching a game played by Essendon is precious in itself, irrespective of how rare and precious my days off are. If they don’t turn up, I’m not that precious to think and hope they turn up next week.

True.
At the last second, I went down for this with my nephew to spend some qual time before he took off o/seas for a while. First time ever just him & I, and thought a few beers watching a Bombers victory at home would be a cool way to do so.

Needless to say, our last arvo together for a while was pretty shitt.

Anyway, (sigh) one foot before the other, we trek on, and hope that the team is disgusted in itself enough, that they come out & fking smash the Flogs by 20 goals and are then spurred to never capitulate like that again for the rest of the year.

1 Like

I guess to put it simply, I struggle to attribute the underperformance over ~15 years to an inherant flaw or systemic failing within ‘the club’.

Just as likely a logical explanation is that a critcal proportion of different people within ‘the club’ (admin, coches, recruitment, fitness, playing groups) at different times, have performed generally to a mediocre level. The one exception is the Saga of course which was… a novel and crippling failure.

I think people like to find patterns in things when sometimes it’s just a bunch of ■■■■ that happens one after the other. We’re not the first or last sporting team to go through lean times.

So I don’t buy into the curse of Essington- and remain optimistic that our football club’s trajectory can change faster than we think.

5 Likes

I hear ya, man. I took my youngest with me, who is going through a really tough time. I wanted to cheer him up, banking on the win. He was devastated. I’m in damage control now.

2 Likes

Well said.
I even heard somewhere in here that it was a ‘contagion’ of some sort, passed from person to person, which is why it carries on over the decades…

I’d accept the “we’ve been average and not everyone can win it” argument if we had been average.

Over the past 15 years we’ve been the worst club in the comp, keeping company with Melbourne, GC and Brisbane.

I’m sure you could give pretty concrete reasons why those 3 clubs are ■■■■, rather than say they are the unlucky victims of circumstance . Why are we any different?

Sorry to hear your youngest is going through a bad time. Hope things improve for you both soon mate

2 Likes

I[quote=“Munchen_Don, post:2537, topic:459, full:true”]

No he wasn’t, what bs. Stants had a solid '15. His decline started in rnd 1 this year when he was moved to the hbf.
[/quote]

I posted in 2015 that Stanton was on decline. I noticed he was struggling with covering the ground, getting to enough contests and defensive running. You forget the club only offered Stanton a year contract at the end of 2015.

1 Like

I didn’t notice that he struggled at all. I noticed that he was still playing good footy and deserved another year. Who forgets he only got 1 year? everybody knew that, it’s a smart move for a bloke at his age and ability

Close the club down.

11 Likes

Friggen pathetic.

He should double down and go harder. And any player offended by a tweet should be moved on

This club needs to be ruthless. But we are not even close. In fact we are timid. And now we are sorry

3 Likes

or kick the next goal, or take the saving mark, or make a game saving tackle. Heppell is not Hird.