#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

In quoting the 2014 stats before, there was a lot of cherry picking going on. Here is a fair comparison: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=6&type=A&pid1=3454&pid2=3454&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2014

Out of stats that matter and ignoring double up stats like disposals, I count 13 stats that are now lower and 8 that have improved. But key stats that he is down on are kicks, marks, tackles, clearances, frees against, contested possessions and clangers.

I can’t pick any important stats where he has improved, so pretty long bow to draw to say he is surpassing previous years.

1 Like

I reckon he’s been pretty good. Fck stats.

3 Likes

The amount of times he gets us out of tight situations is ridiculous. He’s been better than people think. Not as nimble and his kicking has been down from his post ban form but he has been one of our best and make consistent.

He will finish top 5 in the best and fairest. He will be even better next year.

2 Likes

Top 5 in the B&F? Yeah nah. Zach, Joe, hurls, zaka, Fanta, Kelly have him covered quite easily.
I reckon he’s in the same company as hooker, Gleeson, Jobe, McG, Tippa, BJ, DP…

I am not going to spend my time pulling apart a guy who’s form is actually pretty good considering he spent a year out of the game right when he was building his career. Apparently we are not allowed to use that excuse because, well, just because. Despite the fact it ISN"T like being out with an injury, it was a gut wrenching declaration of cheating and sanctions and that has a profound effect on someone.

He has come back to try and rebuild and has been given the added burden of being the captain. His form is not really any worse than 2014 and 2015 so I just do not understand the reasons people are trying to put him down.

I think he has been doing a stellar job.

2 Likes

No it must be me !

Or just maybe, WOB has his gross exaggeration mode going full-time.

Dyson has had his best ever year and is a strong and able captain. Maybe you get a different view watching on a TV screen in the West.

4 Likes

Or Top 10. Does it matter? The rest you are named will likely be all top 10 chances which is not bad. Him not being top 10 is more of a reflection of the great depth of quality we have now.

But he’s been consistently up there all year and he’s been leading from front best he can.

Like a few of the returning stars his touch is slightly off. For him its work in space, for Hurley it’s one on one contest, for Colyer it’s kicking at pace, for Hooker it’s contested marking. All things that will be rectified in time.

He’s doing really well and he’s still one of the best mids in the comp.

2 Likes

I think he has been pretty good at times and pretty average at times the problem with Hepp is he never had the average one before.

3 Likes

I think he will have a better year next year.

Come to think of it, I think our entire midfield will have a better year next year.

2 Likes

Evidence?

Miles off his 2014 form, probably better than his 2015 form.

2 Likes

Midfield balance will be better.

My wife says I shouldn’t bother trying to provide evidence that I think, because even if I was capable of thinking, I wasn’t smart enough to prove it. She can be mean.

3 Likes

I think Hepp is having a good, but not great season.
Comparing his form to 2014, 2015 is problematic, mainly because he is playing in a different midfield, and with different roles.
I say roles, because as others have posted, the modern midfield set up is an interchangeable one, with players adjusting according to who else is in there, what the oppositions doing etc etc.
In 2014 / 2015 Hepp was alternating between a pure inside mid - getting first hands on the ball and hand balling quickly on, and playing the sweeper defensive mid role behind the contest. He’d rarely run forward of the contest, but relied on finding just enough space to deliver to a team mate by hand or foot.
Both these roles also entailed more tackling either in packs, or as the defensive mid.
The stats would bear this out.
This year Hepp is often playing as the mid who receives / grabs the ball from the contest or stoppage and bursts forward of the play.
This is a significant change. It plays to some of his strengths- clean hands, reading the drop of the ball, the ability to assess options upfield, - but also highlights some of his weaknesses.
He’s never had explosive pace over the first five metres, he’s always swung a bit wide to the left with a poor right foot, and even in his best years was prone to kick slightly over or short of a leading target.
It also requires him to make repeated flat out runs with opponents hot on his hammer.
As someone, Munna I think, mentioned he has tended to play very well in bursts then fade a bit from the game.
I reckon it’s this different style of effort that’s responsible, especially returning to match fitness.
He can’t just glide around the park as he used to.

There are two ongoing issues here. Hepp will I hope continue to learn and improve in this role. By all accounts he’s a driven personality, despite the laid back exterior.
The second is a broader personnel one.
Zach and even Zaharakis are playing the defensive sweeper role. Do we want or need to change their role?
Will Parish or McGrath take over this burst forward role next year, giving Hepp a bit more flexibility and a breather?
Or is this our primary recruitment need?
I’d argue that it is, more so than a contested pure inside mid. Unless we pin our hopes on Big Boi or Laverde stepping up another gear I think we’re leaving too much to an unsupported Hepp.

3 Likes

I’ve got my gross exaggeration mode going, and you claim he’s had his best season ever? Did you watch any football in 2014?

L
O
L

By the way, I’ve never said he’s had a poor year, I’ve simply tried to have a conversation and state by his standards I think he’s had a average year.

3 Likes

I thought your point was clear and agree. He isn’t playing near 2014 level, but going ok. Has played near his best in patches but not consistently.

I also think he’s been pretty good as a captain in his first year back, and much more proactive than I thought he’d be.

1 Like

I do not have full onset of dementia yet; and while Dyson played well in 2014, he is playing better this year. Sometimes I reckon your expectations are too high.

Im curious to know why you think he is playing better this year?

His kicking is better, his marking? All round game?

What a garbage year 2015 was.

Better marking, and it very very good at coin tosses