#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I was actually asking a legit question

I think the knock on doison is the Hird legacy looms large over this club

We expect our captain in his prime years to be able to influence a game during a qtr, to imprint himself, not statswise, but in spirit, in actions that are leader worthy, and in this way Dois hasn’t fired a shot in any games where we needed him to make a big play or get the team going.

Hard to compare to a football god though, when Hird took a game by the scruff of the neck you just sat back and started to believe you were watching a real life football wizard.

Very big shoes to fill in regards to Hird’s legacy, but we have seen it. Against the Hawks in his first game as captain. He was massive in that one.

1 Like

True

I stand corrected!

1 Like

… thats a captains duty? whats the point of having a captain who cant impose himself on a game? lloyd made the ultimate sacrifice in terms of imposing himself on brad sewells head, and jobe was just jobe… drawing a connection with Hird is a bit strange, imposing yourself on a game isnt exclusive to james hird.

No it certainly isn’t. But I think what he is trying to say is “no one” could influence a game in the way that Hird did so consistently when the chips where down. Perhaps no one ever in the history of the game (or for at least as long as I have watched footy).

Hepp has imposed himself on games in the past especially when Jobe got injured a few years back, and the Hawks game early in the year. Hepp has proven himself to have that quality, its the consistency that’s lacking atm.

This year JD and Zerret have imposed themselves on more games more then most. But of course there is more to been a great captain then that alone.

Agree with all you wrote. Just pointed out that he hasn’t been in our best handful. If we had a few more wins on the board that might even be a good sign… I’m happy that the next gen has taken big steps, hope for Jobe and hep that they can finish the season strongly and enjoy success.

1 Like

Seriously then I reckon his marking and his effort has been better than ever, he has shown strong leadership and reads the play well.

His kicking is the same and he may look slower but perhaps everything else is a little faster.

I am still of the belief that his best position is halfback though.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Credit to you for coming back with an answer

He was AA, won our B&F and polled 14 Brownlow Votes in 2014.

He played better than ‘well’ that year.

4 Likes

Yeah but a few of his statistics are better than 14 so case closed

2 Likes

There is no way Dyson is anywhere near his 2014 form stats or no stats.
Me personally didn’t want him as captain. Just don’t think he can carry a team like the good captains do.
Sorry but I see him more of a Cotchin and Murphy style captain. Really nice guy, consistent, will play some great games but he ain’t no hodge or Selwood.
Hopefully his kicking improves cause Daniher must curse every time him and Watson kick inside 50

2 Likes

less punchy than cotchin

1 Like

Some seriously delusional posts in here:
“His best season ever”
“One of the best midfielders in the competition”

The one thing bacchus i do agree with is he is better off half back, the other stuff is through rose coloured glasses.

1 Like

What position did he play in 2014 ???

It was not mid-field.

But it was?

Pretty sure it was… at least for most of the year

1 Like

Don’t understand the criticism of this bloke. One of only two blokes (from the returning guys) to play every game without a rest (colyer the other). He might not be having as many great games, but he doesn’t play a BAD game like a lot of other guys. He is Mr consistent and will only get better. Has lead us well this year. Our best mid again on the weekend, can hold his head high.

1 Like

Don’t think anyone criticised him. Just said he wasn’t playing as well as his best year.

2 Likes

He’s copped it in several review threads. It’s pretty expected that he isn’t playing as well considering he missed a year. If he had a similar year next year I would be a little concerned that he might not reach those heights of 2014 where he was a genuine gun midfielder.