#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I’m not saying they will.

But they should

Total and utter fkn garbage. Who are you to judge the attitude and endeavour of this guy? Do you know how much missing an entire year impacts on the ability to pick up the speed and touch of Afl? Do you know if he’s injured? Tailing off after a long year without a season behind him? You dont know ■■■■, but we do know Heppell is as dedicated as they come.

The club put these blokes in this position and they’re all trying to find their way back. Criticise his form, but cut the snide comments on his integrity and effort. Go find your own fkn mirror.

25 Likes

Heppell, along with other whipping boys Myers and Colyer will be better performed next season. Coming back after a year off he hasn’t hit his fluent best once, and there’s a bit of rust in the system another pre-season should clear. Pretty confident he’ll be back to the player we remember.

Now he’s captain though I think he needs to add another string to his bow. Needs to up his game defensively and set an example. He’s never going to be a physical player, but the odd crunching tackle would be a good start.

1 Like

Agree it’s harsh in the context of this year, but he’d want to come back next year a lot better.

I really worry that he’s too much of a good bloke to be a premiership captain. Most Premiership Captains aren’t like likeable; they’re ruthless, tough bastards who hold the entire team accountable. Hodge. McVeigh. Harley. Maxwell. Voss. Even Hird.
The most popular guy isn’t always the best leader, a trap I hope we haven’t fell into.

1 Like

Possibly at new clubs…

I’d trade them if I had takers.

1 Like

He had a mare today, it happens, don’t write him off.

Why did he decide to kick into the sun in the first quarter? Absolutely bizarre decision and reminiscent of Cotchin kicking against the wind Vs Port a few years back.

Dont disagree but the insinuation was that he’s letting the club down. Thats total crap.

Most of the mids need to. Why target Dys?

Sure, but the best player isn’t always the best leader either (see Harley, Maxwell) but that seems to be what supporters often judge players on.

And to be honest seems to be a big reason why people are suggesting Merrett should be captain instead of Heppell.

I have no issue with his leadership & commitment. Will mature more into the first and there is no doubts on the second.

But I have always been worried about his lack of pace. I felt that clubs put work into him to play a quicker opponent on him and go through his man.

He needs to play purely inside or become our backline general from HB. I believe he has the ability to be great at either.

4 Likes

I have issue with his lack of defensive pressure as a midfielder. either hes not fit enough after the year off, or he’s always been too slow, im of the latter opinion, its not a good look having your captain ‘jogging’ after the other teams mids as they stream into our defensive 50.

1 Like

It’s not just Merrett on ability. It’s all the talk of how incredibly driven and professional he is.

It seems shallow but I can’t take Hep as a leader seriously with his appearance or the way he carries himself.

6 Likes

Needs to spend the whole summer with a strength and conditioning coach training sprints.

Needs to get a farking hair cut for starters.
He looks like an absolute ■■■■.

I’m certain he’ll remain as captain. Just settling him as a half back play maker and mover McGrath in to guts.

1 Like

Geez there are some conservative types in here. Get a haircut? Seriously? He doesn’t work for Price Waterhouse. I suppose Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin are crappy influences on their team because of their funny haircuts.

3 Likes

Yep. Spoken like people not on TV.

I agree.

But 2 things.

Expressions of Individualism are fine if you are achieving what you need to, if you are not they can become a source of easy criticism. Be a better leader and nobody talks about your hair…

Cotchin has a boring haircut and the face of a baby bear. I struggle to see how he isn’t a picture of old fashioned conservatism…

1 Like

Swear to fking God people are seriously overlooking just how much better Sydney are than us

Heppell had a poor game

As did about 14 other blokes

This is largely due to the fact Sydney are a far better team than us who have 4x the finals experience that we did

Yeah today sucks we get it

7 Likes

Half back.

This bloke is exceptional over his head and reading the play, get him back to playing to his strengths.

7 Likes