#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I think the B&F voting has a lot to do with guys that played every game, plus takes in a leadership aspect. If it were voting on sheer on field performance in 2017 i don;t think Hep would have been top 10.

Certainly if you play every game you get an advantage… as you do with any round by round voting system. But then perhaps if you’ve been resilient enough to play every game you deserve that advantage.

What it shows more than anything is that the coaches see things far differently than the fans do… and that’s no bad thing.

3 Likes

Although perhaps not that differently.

Final Leaderboard

122 Dustin Martin (Rich)
118 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
78 Rory Sloane (Adel)
77 Zach Merrett (Ess)
76 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
75 Josh Kelly (GWS)
71 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
68 Matt Crouch (Adel)
68 Sebastian Ross (StK)
68 Dayne Zorko (Bris)

1 Like

received a happy 1st birthday card for my son ‘from’ dyson yesterday. Has a cartoon drawing of him (dyson that is, not my son).

Pretty cute.

Anyone else have toddlers that are members?

Will be great when he’s at that age where he’s smart enough to understand what it is but not so smart that he realises it’s not actually from Dyson as such.

If he’s anything like me that will be when he turns 18 ish.

13 Likes

1st (by miles) for contested possessions for the club, 4th for kicks, equal 3rd for effective disposals, 1st for clearances, 2nd for centre clearances, 2nd for inside 50s and equal 7th for rebound 50s, 4th for goal assists, 4th for score involvements, 4th for metres gained, 3rd for tackles, 6th for marks, 2nd for SuperCoach and 3rd for dreamteam score.

But other than all that, he did basically nothing.

I’d be interested to see your top 10 that doesn’t include D Hep?

7 Likes

pffft, details details details…

2 Likes

He did all that - and I legitimately think his form actually was disappointing at times.
Will be better for the run.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree.
It’s a fairly common phenomenon, underrating someone when they are having a personal sub-par performance.

2 Likes

A new highlights package of the Captain by a great youtuber EssendonFC

Surprisingly, I think a lot of people don’t actually see what the bloke with all the hair does around the field. He and Stringer will be the kings of the contest next year.

Hepp has a lion’s mane and Stringer a lion tatt. We know Hepp has the heart of a lion, his contested work and marking is top notch. He has been playing second fiddle to Jobe. Next year it is another step up and inwards. Watch for him to be bigger and stronger at the contest next year to better play this role. Let’s hope that Stringer uses Hepp to push himself and finds the lion in his heart to take his game back to and beyond his previous best.

15 Likes

25 year old new captain, and that ^^^ is his poor year.

10 Likes

If you’d told me he kicked 4 goals outside 50 this year including 3 set shots I wouldn’t have believed you. Only the Hawks one stands out in my mind. But that is a real improvement in an area which had been a weakness

2 Likes

Wait til he starts kicking scotch from 60!

2 Likes

I may be wrong but I think 2016 was the first time he’s been on the sidelines for more than 3-4 weeks in a stretch.
Most other guys have had somewhat similar processes coming back from big injuries.

Off the top of my head I would say:
Daniher
Merrett
Goddard
Hurley
Hooker
Fantasia
Zaharakis
Bellchambers
McGrath
Tippa
Gleeson

All had better seasons than hepp for mine.

What?! No way dude. At a stretch you could possibly put him underneath Zakka but no way did Belly/Gleeson/McGrath have better seasons.

I’m hoping this year was an abberation of what’s to come in future seasons, which I think it will be. He was very good in patches, the Hawthorn game, the first half of the Freo game, Carlton and Geelong games come on mind, but was otherwise mostly meh or disapointing. I putting this down flatly to the year out of the game and expect him to be back to his best, if not career best form next year.

1 Like

It’s the Brendan Goddard effect.

You come to expect absolute brilliance and class above everyone else, then if their performance slips down to ‘consistently solid’ rather than absolute elite. People automatically think that they’ve had a poor season.

Goddard was ready to be lynched by supporters last season after having a solid year in a poor team. Plus having the added pressure of the captaincy.

Heppell was injured all season, he didn’t get through full training sessions because they were trying to get him up each week.

4 Likes

Sometimes you say some really silly things. This is one of those times.

1 Like

Well, he is crazy

1 Like

Care to elaborate and give any reasonable thoughts or counter points or you just gonna throw in another snide w*anker comment?

Heppell had a good year, mostly consistent, some great games (Hawthorn & Carlton games) and a few patches of brilliance (I’m thinking the first half in that Freo game where he was one of the few reasons we got a 3 goal lead). Overall it was consistent and did the job with a year mostly filled with 6 or 7/10 games. The stats all looked mostly good, 4th in kicks, fantastic.

But he’s not a second or third string midfielder, he’s the captain, he’s a former All-Australian and he has the capability of being one of the best midfielders in the league week in, week out. In my opinion he got caught holding the ball a lot (due to the year out) and probably struggled with the pace of the game and didn’t impact games regularly enough like has the ability to. Nothing wrong with saying he was well below his best this year, but I do think with another pre-season he’ll be producing career best performances.

4 Likes