#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

More instagold from Dois

2 Likes

For those that don’t have these apps - what’s it about?

I think it’s going to be impossible to rate Jobe’s captaincy against anyone else ever. Just because of all the off field stuff that he captained us through for 4 years. I think it’s extremely unlikely anyone will ever have to do that again. It would be unfair to both parties being compared.

Canine chaos at the Heppel household. :dog:

you can open it in a browser.

I just realised it was a video not an image… :blush:

What is it with Dyso & Barkers eggs??

1 Like

I thought Dyson struggled in a few games this season and he looked slow at times. Also the loopy handpass and kicks seemed to really stand out… particularly as I strongly believe he was carrying injury. Plus the year off etc etc. However I don’t think the level of criticism he has got is fair at all. I have no problem with him being in our top 3 this year… did a lot of work in the middle and was classy with his ball use.

I also think that Hepp will be judged harshly because he is captain… despite everything that has gone on… we have been so blessed to have such terrific captains of our club… Thompson, Hird, Watson x 2, Lloyd , O’Donnell were all true superstars but also guys that seemed to be able to put the whole team on their back and seemingly will the team to victory. I think Dyson is a very good captain and will only grow into the role as the years tick by but he wasn’t quite able to do the heroics each and every week that some supporters expect.

He also transitioned into a much more ‘inside’ midfield role and made it his own. I expect his 2018 is going to be even better and I have no doubt he is still an elite player in the competition.

Like everything EFC right now… can’t help but smile… Merrett, Heppell, Stringer, Parish, McGrath, Zaharakis, Fantasia… What a midfield both on paper and proven performances. Ohhhhh bring on 2018 already!!

1 Like

Has a huge potential ceiling given he made top 3 in b&f after a year away, with a managed load and in an underperforming/undermanned midfield.

He also might have been our only player to have played all games after missing last year. Which speaks to his professionalism / off field discipline.

He was also immence in Round 1 vs hawthorn.

BTW. Prob the one commonality i see between all those captains was their consistency of high level performance, which Hepp has certainly shown from his 1st season onwards.

plus Devon Smith

1 Like

Minus Fanta. He’ll spend a few plays in and behind the centre bounce but in my book, he’s 90% forward, as is Tippa.

Tippa was quite handy starting at effectively CHF and heading into the centre after the bounce.

1 Like

You still need your small forwards at the feet of the tall forwards, or giving an option.

If they start centre, get the f*ck forward.

Which is why I felt our structure worked a lot better with Green/Tippa/Fanta.

Potentially but I think just before he injured himself we had started to use Fanta as an impact player through the middle. I believe that he, Smith and Stringer will form a trio… 2 of which will be on ball whilst the other is in the forward line etc etc. I think we are trying to build a ‘geelong like’ midfield rotation…Guys like Stevie J will be remembered as a small forward but he would often go on ball when they needed drive… reckon Fanta will do that role as well.

Walla may also spend time in the middle but will depend on his fitness and endurance… he might never build the tank required for that role etc.

Will be interesting how we use all those guys… but I’m confident that we now have enough pace to be classy around the ball AND damaging up forward. Just loving it!!

1 Like

He gets judged very harsh on here.

His numbers weren’t too dissimilar from 2014, easily his best season so far. Suggests his 2017 was, actually, pretty good.

He got an equal career high 14 brownlow votes (tied with 2014). Across his 129 games, he has only had 17 below 20 possessions, with two or three of them due to injury.

He is a freak footballer.

2 Likes

Walla actually spent more time in midfield this year than Fantasia. I don’t think his tank is a problem at all.

I didn’t mean to imply it was a problem. I know he has worked hard on it. I just believe there are some guys that are never going to have the endurance required to play long midfield minutes in the modern AFL.

Not a negative… some guys are burst players and others aren’t. I love the fact there is still room in our game for lots of different types of athlete etc etc.

Would be interested in where you got your midfield stats… I know Walla went in there a bit too… in a very similar role to Fanta but for whatever reason I seemed to feel Fanta spent slightly longer on ball. Would be keen to see the stats/splits if you have them.

1 Like

Comparing the Stats across the season Walla averages slightly higher in what is considered “midfield” stats (ie. centre clearances, stoppages).
Outside those stats they are almost the perfect yin and yang player combo. One (Walla) is better at the pressure/defensive side and the other the finishing (Fanta)!

1 Like

Walla tends to get most of his possessions around the contest when he drifts into the middle.

Fanta is more your outside/wing type.

3 Likes