#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

There was a bit on Fox after the game where they showed how he missed the option to give to a man going forward, and instead went back. I think all three times, it cost us badly.

Forward is always the best first option if there’s one clear.

1 Like

I can’t see a replay to remind myself of the full details- but it was last quarter, Heppell was on the wing and along way form the ball as Adelaide were moving the ball into their forward 50.
Hepp takes off and gut runs to the get to the contest, gets there and contests, and we move the ball out and he was ready to take off again after it. Something like that.

It was such an impressive effort, and a great all round game.

Jobe aside, I always thought Heppell was most in need of a 2nd preseason , just because of his playing style. Once word leaked out that he’d barely been able to train at times last year, that feeling was only reinforced. Based on last night’s game, we might see the ‘real’ Heppell in 2018. Excellent start.

9 Likes

My realisation after reading through this thread during the off season, about how Heppell was never a great player and that he is just holding the captaincy until Merrett is ready to take over… is that people have no f*cking idea.

15 Likes

Agreed.

Some of the dumbest comments to hit blitz ever.

Hep could barely train in latter half of season. Just getting up week to week a huge effort and in games def battled through given legs got heavy real quick.

Round 1 domination already. Hope to see more BOG games like that for the year from him!

1 Like

l also have Hep D 3 votes. What stood out was his aerial work.

3 Likes

Anyone think he might have (based on Friday) a bit of a role change this year? Still roll through the middle, but also setting up behind play/HBF a bit more. From memory, he seemed to be playing a sweeping role a fair bit.

2 Likes

Hard to say based on one round but if it is the case I think it’s a great move.

He reads the play so well and can mark above his head.

Superb game.

1 Like

Loose end midfield sweeper has always been his best position. Get to contest, win contest

1 Like

Gleesonesque!

1 Like

People let their natural pessimism cloud their reasoning.
I suppose the reverse is also true.

1 Like

Is filling in for Gleeson’s role, as well as doing his own.

He won’t be all Australian for mine until he does 3 blind turns a game again.

1 Like

I’ll put my hand up for some of this.

I never said he wasn’t any good. He was a star who returned less than a star last year. I feel he let us down at times last year.

I also said that he’d want to improve this year from last year because he was disappointing. He was disappointing; all be it with some cause as it turned out. But I won’t shy away from saying he didn’t lead us in 2017 as well as he has the ability to.

I still however think the player with the highest leadership potential on our list is Andrew McGrath. He may be the most impressive young leader in the AFL. He will be our next captain.

The bloke is a winner, plain and simple.

Also, everyone seems to forget about the leadership group which Dyson leads calling out Xavier Campbell after he tweeted his disappointment against Brisbane. That was so soft. So let’s not pretend Heppell didn’t have his issues last year.

Players should have used that a motivation for the next game

I would think some would be embarrassed in hindsight. Very precious.

Need more killer instinct than that.

Played the Zerrett role perfectly, while taking the Hepplike overhead marks and grunt work in the middle.

I think Dyson’s apparent role in helping Francis back on his feet speaks volumes of the guy.

“My first idea of that tweet was when Xavier actually told me about it. When I saw it I said, ‘That pretty much sums up how we all feel’. He didn’t apologise to me, he didn’t need to. I immediately said to him, ‘Mate, that sums up where we’re all at’,” -Heppell

Not sure about that one.

I’ll admit that initially I found it hard to take him seriously with his laid-back attitude. But Cameron Smith is well known for being laid-back too and he is the captain of the Storm, QLD and Australia.

I don’t think we should be too concerned with his leadership.