#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

elite reader of the play, substantially above average overhead mark, incredible tenacity at the contest

issue with hepp is just when he disposes of the ball and glacial pace

9 Likes

He can be Jobe Mk 2 if he works on his core, quads etc
Get him Jobes boxing coach. Jobe was slow, av. kick but worked hard to become the guy who could stand up in a tackle and dish out a hand pass, thirty times a match.

I don’t think he can. his arms are extremely weak in the contest, and if how ever many years hes had in the system hasn’t fixed it, it won’t be.

I know HAP rates him as our best contested mid but thats more an indictment on the rest of the side, hes a great breaker uperer of play. to grab something from another sport.

I absolutely agree with the tenacity and the overhead mark thing. And he seems a good reader of the play at least. But as a midfielder, none of that matters if when you get the ball you can’t get it to someone else

Set the standard today with his attack on the ball and hunting the opposition - Very good game.

3 Likes

He’s no Dangerfield either

1 Like

I have my heart in my mouth every time Dys, BJ, Hooker or JD get the ball and start to look to get creative with their disposal at the moment…

A few more efforts like today though and I might get over it.

2 Likes

His readying of the play is what he is “really good at”

I reckon Heppell has elite endurance, and is elite in his reading of the play\game\footy IQ.
I don’t think his inside play\extraction is elite - but it is very good and I think is being under-appreciated.

I also think we are not currently seeing him at his best. Go back to 2014 and he was Hird-like in influencing games from the engine room - weaving his way through heavy traffic, well-weighted kicks to advantage and creative handballs to release players in better positions. He has a good ‘step’ which allows him time and I reckon he is an intelligent user of the ball generally.

His kicking was awful today - and hasn’t been as good since he has returned to the game - but I don’t think it is as chronic\entrenched as perhaps is being suggested.

3 Likes

some of you have short memories

his first two years was known for his great left foot kick

1 Like

not it wasn’t it was always loop and lacked penetration, he just did safe kicks.

2 Likes

His kicking is summed up by when he had all the time in the world to think about what he was doing, and just sat it on tippas head. Absolutely diabolical

He’s so important and so wasteful at the same time

3 Likes

Its very frustrating and kind of undermines his legitimacy as a captain. How can he in good conscience have a go at a guy for a ■■■■ kick when he is running at 30% himself.

3 Likes

I agree with the sentiment, but don’t know the incident?

Just speaking generally, not about a specific incident.

Constantly threw himself into contests today. Put his head over the footy etc the stuff that Selwood gets praised for so often.

Kicking let him down but can’t fault the effort. Hoping to see some improvement in his disposals though.

3 Likes

Something fkn odd going on with ol Hepp, and his disposal this year/today.

Reserving judgement until I’ve seen the replay though.

BJ was going at 100% disposal efficiency until the last quarter. Hurley hit many targets.

theres no way that stat is collected in any way to be meaningful.

his kick ins alone were woeful.

There was a v bad one, where he had Tippa and Hurley both 10 m. free and he kicked it between them, a Port player broke through and goaled. Hep was at fault.

1 Like