#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Roy keane is a tremendously outspoken egomaniac, not sure hes a good example for the type of captain you’re promoting. it wasn’t a stare with keane it was a physical demonstration.

Ken Fraser was a great captain and wonderful CHF, but a terrible schoolteacher.

1 Like

There was a TV show a couple of years back about the AFL captain. It was basically a handful of AFL captains talking about what it is like to be an AFL captain. It included people like Jobe, Pavlich, Boak, Riewoldt, McVeigh, Jones were few.

Jobe was very hard to watch. The saga obviously taking its toll.

But I found Cotchin to be the most interesting. He showed a lot of self awareness, was reflective, put his role and that of being an AFL player in perspective.

After the show a lot of people on here bagged Cotchin for not being very ‘captainly’ and not being focused on football and the team and well a bit thoughtful and unmanly. But I thought to myself, geez this is the guy who I’d follow.

Sheedy didn’t mind changing the captains around. Maybe this how you get more leadership out there.

Think it was less about performance as captain than passing the baton. It was not a put-down to be released from the captaincy.
I feel sorry for Hepp for having to do that dorky postman’s promo.

He probably came from a background where there were no feral kids.

‘Leadership qualities’ has been a buzz word thrown around by this club for about 10 years. We drafted players because one of their key attributes is their ‘leadership abilities’.

I honestly don’t see it. I think the club has confused leadership abilities, with ‘good sportsmanship’.

We have a team of nice blokes, who wouldn’t put a foot wrong. They represent the Essendon brand well, on and off the pitch.

1 Like

pal is the worst dog food going.

7 Likes

I think “leadership abilities” is code for a type of player the way “excitement machine” is.

1 Like

I think you screwed up your meme. Should say is emblematic

1 Like

He was a teacher at my school and he was able to quietly get us to calm down and not burn the place down. He had the respect of all the bad kids and was able to keep control. Not a bad effort. As for teaching, i learnt heaps in Modern History - so i thought he was okay.

2 Likes

Bet that was after he finished playing footy.

Taught me geography in a Bomber premiership when he was captain. Probably had other things on his mind.

1 Like

Yep, he had retired from playing but still actively involved with the Club. We used to see all the newbies prior to selection table, Sheedy would often drop by too.

Please tell me again how this bloke’s personal appearance isn’t a reflection of how unprofessional the entire organisation is.

5 Likes

Are there rules in his AFL/EFC employment contract that state he cannot have long hair like a Rastafarin and a beard?

Has a crack each week but offers no on-field leadership when the games in the balance.
When was the last time he laid a bone-crunching tackle?

1 Like

had 1 tackle for the day

i keep calling Cathy at the club and telling her the excess hair on hepps head is melting his brain, and she just keeps telling me that if i contact her again she’ll call the police

11 Likes

I’m keen to see what ■■■■■■ product he’ll promote on Instagram this week.

3 Likes

It shouldn’t be, but it is looking like it will become one.

If I was the captain I’d call the barber into the club, sit down, take a short back and side, shave and then make every person from the CEO down in the football department do the same.

If they aren’t going to play like a team then they thsoyld try and look like one, starting with the same haircut. Mandatory till the season end.