#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Seems like I’m in the minority but I think he is a solid captain. I back him to get us through this.

4 Likes

Still look Amish to me. Ive seen the 1985 movie Witness. I’m not sure Amish captain Abraham is inspiring us to greater deeds.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Takes Goddards position at HBF, play to his strengths - build his confidence and go from there.

Back him in

In this sport, If there’s a feedback loop of disconnect between players-coaches/coaches-coaches/players-players/executive-footy department then the Captain’s position becomes more or less impossible. Counter productive actually because he cannot defend all things and critique all things simultaneously and becomes neutered as an influence.

Fix the off field garbage. Fix selection ( he talks about finding players who will play our way, then the coaches keep the exact lineup. Repeatedly.). Fix the plans and structures so that he (and the group under him) can actually buy into it truthfully without mealy mouthed agreement.

This lad is Essendon through and through. He’ll see us right imo, as long as the rest of the club stop creating idiotic spot (and sometimes raging) fires for him to deal with. He looks mentally exhausted but he’s a tough and determined kid.

If yesterday helps to unite and streamline things a bit, it’s the first step for allowing Heppell to get back to doing what he should. He’s not immune from needing to find some confidence, not just in himself but perhaps more crucially in the entire club.

10 Likes

and all that stops him laying a tackle? Could we possible come up with any more excuses for the bloke?

Typical Essendon of late - it’s always somebody elses fault!! The backbone of the club’s cancer.

Dunno. What’s more likely? That he just can’t be arsed laying a tackle or that his brain is scrambled with positioning, setups, directing etc?

He’s averaging 4.5 tackles per game this year (more than Dangerfield,. Dev is averaging an incredible 8!) Had a shocker v Carlton on this front but things are imploding right now.

1 Like

I believe this plays a lot into the team’s disposal woes too. If Neeld was the confusion and we can now simplify instructions I think we’ll see the skill level rise too. Fingers crossed we get whatever was wrong corrected cos it’ll simultaneously improve skills, reactIons, natural footy nous across the group.

Well given Laverde had zero tackles and 9 disposals, his omission would seem justified.

4 Likes

I agree, but he’s not alone in his poor output.

I think we need to continue to look at him for the remainder of the year to see what he can do. If we don’t see improvement I would move him on.

Some other more established players might appreciate a run in the 2’s though to think about whether they really want to represent this club.

OK. Maybe we can let him off this one time - as long as he gets a hair cut.

1 Like

Laverde’s hair should be the example for the team to follow.

It’s all business

Yep, and how is that working for him?

well his hair is perfect.

1 Like

Have you seen his girlfriend?

1 Like

Then maybe she could play instead.
Looks like Jane, plays like Jane.

2 Likes

Yep, think the remainder of this year is important for Laverde.

He doesn’t do anywhere near enough for mine.

1 Like

And get Guelfi back in as example of sensible hair

1 Like

Agree completely. Do people seriously think he’s just suddenly thought to himself: “I know, I’ll stop laying tackles, that’ll really help my team-mates”. Of course not. I reckon some idiot in the coaching department has told him to stay on his feet and be on the edge of the contest to receive or pick up the ball rather than getting in the thick of it. As a result of obeying these daft orders he’s not playing his natural game and, like so many others in our side, has list form and confidence as a result.

Come on people. Have a listen to the bloke. You may not like his hairdo or facial adornments but he bleeds Black and Red. He’d tackle an express train for the club!

5 Likes

or whats more likely - a club culture of never blaming anybody for anything and have effort on game day totally negotiable especially for the half the team that will never dropped in a blue moon.

What is Goddard’s excuse for not laying a tackle on 2 weeks? Is his brain scrambled too because he left the leadership group? What about the other 9 players who had 1 or less tackles? Scrambled eggs too?

God we need to harden up as a club.

1 Like