#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Good captains are both.

You seriously think on field leadership is a small part of what’s involved?

3 Likes

No, its ensuring your players adhere to structures, its ensuring that if the opposition get a run on, that you are able to implement some strategy to stop it (mix of coaches and on field leaders), its as barnz said bringing other players into the game (tex is great at this), its ensuring that you play the way the coaches want you to play (which im sure doesnt include dinky kicks that go 20m up and 30m long basically putting the receiver in harms way if they are to attempt to mark it/ turning every second kick over), its getting between goddard and the rest of the group when hes chucking a tanty

and yes of course people go off what they perceive to be the case… what else could you possibly go off?

1 Like

What do you define as on field leadership?

Seems most around here define it as being a tough guy. Or maybe someone who never farks up. Someone fit to be their hero maybe. And maybe for some it is those things. For me, it is none of them.

Once again I will say that people here are just going off what they perceive to be the case. I don’t know what he does, says etc. on field, and neither does anyone else here.

And yes, on field is absolutely only a small part of what a captain does. It may be the most visible part to the fans, but is far from the whole picture.

1 Like

For mine. On field leadership is being able to make your team mates better by playing with you. Atm I feel like hepp is letting the team down this year with his hospital passing and not being able to get back defensively quick enough

3 Likes

Uhh what other option is there?

Playing okay-to-ordinary football. Making tough post game statements that don’t get backed up by the coaches. Looks like a dope… Oh but shelve all that he’s probably great behind the scenes.

4 Likes

You’ll get no argument from me that there are parts of his game that could absolutely improved this year. Mind you, he’s hardly the lone ranger there. Whether that affects how his team mates perceive his captaincy only they could tell you. I know if I were a team mate I would just think that he was going through a ■■■■■■ patch, as everyone does, and it wouldn’t bother me at all, as long as all the other things I expect from him are still there. But I guess we are all different

1 Like

Maybe not laying into someone without having the information to justify it?

And ‘looks like a dope’ is a pretty big call from a quite tall string bean who gets around in freaking lycra. Pot, kettle, black.

2 Likes

people that wear lycra generally look like they swing by a hair dresser every now and then…

LOL.

Is Dys your kid or something?

1 Like

I’m talking about all of last years hospital passing and this year. its not a rough patch, its total collapse.

2 Likes

Basically what barnz said, and I think on field leadership certainly isn’t coughing 8/10 passes to your opponent. If footskills is a focus (surely, it would be) would you take Heppell seriously when he’s near on the worst kick in the team? If the captain can’t execute basic skills well FMD

I think on field leadership is setting a standard to say “this is what the absolute minimum is you must bring”, on field leadership is about inspiring your team mates,and yes, leading by example. Anyone who has played any competitive sport would know that. Have you never heard of a captain leading by example? It’s only been said since the start of time. What areas on Heppells game does he lead by example? He wills himself to every contest and is pretty good overhead, il give him that. But he’s also slow, doesn’t apply enough defensive pressure and his disposal is a joke. Think about the areas we currently really suck in, and ask yourself how Heppell performs in those areas

Funnily enough, people are judged by what people see. Which has been the case, forever. You can be the worlds greatest off field leader but it doesn’t mean sh*t if your not a great one on field

Not once since the heat has been piled on has Heppell had a quarter (the third would be nice) where he’s gone “follow me” and absolutely stood up. He’s gone to water, just like everyone else. But hey, I’m sure he’s handing out plenty of bum slaps and “she’ll be right cobber” and such

10 Likes

Well it obviously hasn’t bothered his team mates as much as it has bothered you, because they voted for him as captain again this year.

i still think hes a marketing appointment.

1 Like

Point missed. I’m making judgement calls based on what I can see. NOT what I would like to assume is the case outside of what I can see.

I don’t turn up to work, or front a multi-million dollar organisation, in Lycra. Small difference.

7 Likes

At least provide valid and real facts, not made up subjective ones.

2-6
sacked coach
sydney loss

Captain should always be the first one in to defend a teammate in a scuffle. Not jogging backwards past that scuffle.

1 Like

That’s the part of my post you wanna pick? You know the point I was making, don’t be a c*ck

4 Likes

Murphy, Heppell, Cotchin.

2 years ago is was a case of who’s the worst and their leadership was reflective of the state of their clubs.
One decided to change his ways as a captain and remarkably he is now a premiership captain and a damn respected one also.

The other 2 are languishing at the bottom.

We have no better captaincy option on our list than Hepp, and on top of that, he has been our best player this year. Understand the complaint on here that he is a turnover merchant but I think that’s mainly typical BB confirmation bias. Also the facial hair is truly diabolical but I doubt that a bunch of 18-30yo players GAF.

His stats:

EFC coaches votes:
Hepp 14
Hurley 14
BJ 8
Myers 5 (all from Port game)
Devon 4
Zaha 4
TBC 4
Zerrett 3
McKenna 1
(Not particularly difficult to tabulate)