#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Chillax barnz, it was just a joke

I think it shows strength to acknowledge your own shortcomings and to work on correcting them.

4 Likes

So a captain should lead by example, set standards etc. well il be fkd. Where have I heard that before?

You do that behind closed doors and then you change your actions on the field.

Actions speak louder than words.

1 Like

I applaud Heppell for admitting it though. It was obvious he, and other senior players are being poor. I’d rather him put hIs hand up rather than stick his hair in the sand

9 Likes

And that’s what he is doing. It was McGrath who talked about it in the open.

1 Like

when he starts to do it on field he is. I’ve heard the same standard things come out of hep for weeks. It’s about time he stepped up and started doing these things he talks about

2 Likes

I doubt it wasn’t orchestrated in some way.

That’s how our corporate club works

I like a lot of your posts and think they have good insight, even respect the firm stance you take on Parish but I simply cannot agree with an ounce of what you just wrote.

People have such a huge expectation of not just performance, but extraordinary performance from Essendon Captains due to © title being inherited by champion players such as Hird, Watson, Lloyd or even Goddard of the last two decades.

Performance is a portion of the role and it’s one we clearly know he can improve on at current but those comments are indicative of true leadership; insight, self-reflection and that hopefully translates to on-field improvement based upon those realisations. How often have we heard of the importance of Watson behind the scenes during the saga? Should the importance of captaincy behind the scenes/off the field in uniting a group be discarded as less important without presence of a drug saga?

People say he doesn’t say enough, then he talks too much, he’s one of an entire football club underperforming who’s form needs to turn around. He’s acknowledged mistakes, short comings and commending the kids. I hope they take on a lot of what he just showed them.

3 Likes

Maybe I am being a bit harsh but I still can’t help but feel that Heppell is just as much responsible for the clubs fortunes as is Woosha.

Difference is that Woosha has been under extreme pressure and Heppell has been anonymous.

Each to their own.

2 Likes

WTF?

You want him to do everything behind closed doors then say he has been anonymous. That makes no sense at all.

1 Like

I’m talking about on the field.

Where captain should lead!

Not from the stands.

1 Like

Bullshit. You and others have been slagging him off in here for a while.

And then when you read an article about a young player who relays the story of the captain speaking to the playing group taking responsibility for the leadership deficiencies you still slag him off.

You are a disgraceful supporter.

2 Likes

That’s ironic coming from you considering how much vitriol you post on here!

Glass houses!

1 Like

It is strange because KM has usually been very supportive and positive overall, just seems to have a big issue with Hep.

microwaves popcorn, puts feet up

Leadership is all facets of life not just on the field.

5 Likes

oh so the demanding the board gets wiped for the last month isn’t the same?

He did do it behind closed doors. He went into the meeting for the development group and manned up and told them the senior players including himself needed to do more.

It was McGrath who made it public, not Heppell.

2 Likes

Yes, I am positive about the club but I don’t rate Hepp as a leader.

I agree this is a big statement from him but I find it staggering that a club captain would not be doing his utmost for the club already.

Especially right now when we need it most.