#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

BOG for mine, he has cleaned up his kicking significantly over the last three weeks. I think that’s the big difference and it appears to be purely confidence driven.

Clearance beast.

But, but, but… he’s not an inside mid. He should be playing HBF

1 Like

Been fantastic.

1 Like

Bog for the 2nd week in a row well my votes anyway. Is playing properly inside mid now and it’s made a world of difference. Clearance machine

1 Like

I’d suggest that it is pressure driven - from the rest of the team. The less time you have, the worse kick you are. This is exactly what Whoosha has been saying since the start.

Whatever the driver it’s been an important change, he has never been a great kick but his decision making has always been very good and his field kicking generally neat. He sets up a lot of our forward entries so his field kicking in very important to our overall ball movement.

Full credit to Heppell, has been impressive the last couple of weeks. Good luck to him.

Just watching the replay. The blocks he puts for the other mids goes unrecognised. I was critical of his captaincy and he has been down the previous week’s but if he plays like this, he is just what we need.

LOL :slight_smile:

Great call… :slight_smile:

Smith will have some compeition for the B&F

2 Likes

Can someone please copy/paste that?

He most definitely deserves praise his last two weeks in particular, they have been outstanding. His kicking, defensive efforts and attack at the ball was sub par before that and they are the exact 3 areas he’s improved out of sight. It’s a good sign for him that he actually worked on areas of his game that we’re lacking and the results of hard work show

It’s no coincidence certain players are playing better because when you set the example and standard, others follow.

1 Like

‘It absolutely meant the world’: Dyson Heppell shows why he is Essendon’s skipper

IT WAS only a couple of weeks ago that the football world was coming down hard on Essendon and its captain Dyson Heppell.

John Worsfold’s side was reeling after a loss to Carlton a fortnight ago confined them the Bombers to a fourth consecutive loss. And Heppell’s leadership was under fire.

But after smashing Geelong last week, and outplaying Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium on Saturday night, the tide has turned at Tullamarine.

And Heppell has had a big influence in that.

The 26-year-old gathered 28 disposals, 26 pressure acts, 14 contested possessions, an equal game-high 12 clearances, five tackles and five rebound 50s in Essendon’s 35-point win over the Giants.

Two-time North Melbourne premiership player David King said Heppell’s desperation on Saturday night showed why he is Essendon’s skipper.

“If you’re going to watch that last quarter — watch Dyson Heppell at every centre bounce. This meant everything to him — it absolutely meant the world,” King said on SEN on Monday.

“This is one man trying to throw a football club on his back and say, ‘I’m going to get us over the line. We’re not losing on my watch.’

“I’m just rapt with his leadership. He spoke completely honestly two weeks ago when the club was on its knees. The way they’re playing, it’s got a spirit.

“They’ve got a tough draw; in two of the next three weeks they’re probably not going to go in as favourites. If they want to compete in finals this year they’ve got to find a way.

“Dyson Heppell showed Callan Ward what the difference is; this is the difference between 2018 finals.”

After back-to-back wins, Essendon has moved up to 12th place on the ladder, two games adrift of the eight, with games against Richmond at the MCG and Brisbane at the Gabba to come before the bye.

2 Likes

Boy oh boy kingy loves us

2 Likes

I said it at the start of the year, when he is at his absolute best he almost sprints into stoppages - this has been missing up until the past 2 weeks.

He’s back.

Cotchin had a chat to Heppel a few weeks ago.

As much as I hate seeing him have Jobes’ medal cant deny that Heppel would have taken Cotchins’ advice on board.

2 Likes

This is happening also as it’s on him.

No Myers being the 1st possession player and trying to dish out. Hep is our main inside mid so has to step up … 12 clearances then comes.

Yep, exactly. Doing what a Captain needs to do.