#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

the way he throws his body around with no care for his own safety is like the golden one of yesteryear

guts n balls are a good foundation for any great captain

good on ya dois.

3 Likes

He did a right foot kick that met a target.:slightly_smiling_face:

Agree with this, can’t question his commitment i feel he has improved in being a battering ram the past month or so but between him and hurley i feel their critical errors in the third let north back into the contest. It’s funny our leaders and most experienced players make me the most nervous with ball in hand especially when their looking inboard for a pass (hurley, heppell and goddard).

I dont think his kicking is that bad, but when it does go bad he really does screw it up.

1 Like

Heppell leads by example on and off the field. Love his desperation. Reminds me of Cotchin, the way he flings himself around. I noticed last week Heppell won the toss and choose the NM end which I really liked because it meant the boys were coming home to the Essendon fans in the last. Normally whoever wins the toss kicks towards their supporter group behind the goals in the first.

His last 6 weeks have been fantastic, Getting close to his 2014-2015 standard, I expect him to be well in contention for an AA spot from next year, His best footy is still to come and as the team improves so will he.

2 Likes

It never is.

2 Likes

Needs to think about what type of player he is. If he’s a general mid getting 35 possessions a game, we aren’t going to go far as his kicking is bad. Opposition clubs must lick their lips knowing he is going to be taking so much of the field kicks.

Needs to remodel himself on Cotchin, bulk up and become a contested mid.

5 seasons getting lots of possession but not go anywhere as a team vs 3 years(before being cooked) play the contested beast role and maybe win a flag.

1 Like

He’s a gem. Goes in and under and gives his all.

4 Likes

Pendles has five years on him

It showed today

Good learning experience

Got pantsed by one of the best

Will Want to forget that 4th qtr

Good today, but faded when he was needed most. Has had a good year and is better than most people think. Not far off being a gun.

Needs to fix up his kicking i close my eyes every time he has to make a pass

Another good game by the skipper last night.

Seems to be the only one who can read Bellchambers taps the majority of the time, if not it must be set plays designed to get him free from his man due to blocking.

Either way, he has stepped up considerably since the start of the season.

3 Likes

Since the Carlton game he has been fantastic.

He and Tommy seem to have built a great chemistry on ball at stoppages

Geez there are some muppets in this thread.

4 Likes

Still has room to improve, kicking needs work and he’ll know it and no doubt put a mountain of work into it during the preseason. He just needs to get more reliable and get rid of those turnovers, I’d put money on him doing so.

Changes to rules reducing congestion will make him (and Langford) even better, these two relish space.

3 Likes

I actually disagree with part of this. His kicking isn’t terrible, certainly better than what Watson used to do. For me he is never going to be an elite kicking mid but what he can focus on is making sure he improves his decision making. That’s what Watson focused on, getting in and getting the ball and making the right decision with it more often than not. That’s what Heps needs to focus on (which he is doing very well I might add).

3 Likes

Care to expand?

Not you

Agree, needs to realise his limitations and not bite off more than he can chew, don’t really want him to be the last kick in a chain or going inside 50 too often.

I like that he has sought after Cotchin for advice, they have had a pretty similar career path and he has had similar aspects of his game to work on as Hep.

Watson actually became a pretty good kick during his peak, was very good at hitting those diagonal corridor kicks, low, hard and accurate within 35-40m.

1 Like