#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Reckon he needs to curb his enthusiasm kicking from the back line a little. He tends to go for kicks with a small margin for error and they almost never come off.

He’s never had a penetrating kick, they always float a bit and hitting blokes in the middle surrounded by opposition probably isn’t the best idea for him. Perhaps just go back to playing the percentages, or spend the off season getting some real depth in kicking.

Has had a super season despite the 4-5 absolute howlers per game.

Yesterday, IceTemple strongly denied allegations that EFC was straightforward and simple. He went on to refute claims that things are more often simple than not.
More on this story in our next news cycle.
Next up after the break, we speak to Maxx, who has been under extreme pressure regarding his blatant critsising of his club’s Propaganda Department.

3 Likes

So, is he a real blond, then?

1 Like

This is absurd. The department wants you all to believe I’m under pressure, I’m under no pressure god dammit. :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

Gets the ball 30 times a game, only gets noticed for the two or three kicks that go awry

Now he joins an illustrious list of Blitz whipping boys, which includes such champions as Jobe, Stants and Goddard

1 Like

Nobody is whipping him, just pointing out his kicking needs some work. Apart from his kicking he was fantastic last night. Some of his work in close was absolutely top notch

His marking has really improved too

His marking has always been a strength imo

3 Likes

It’s always been good, but under pressure it has gone up another notch

I can’t think of too many midfielders who are better than him overhead. It’s only the big midfield freaks like Fyfe really

This is par for the Blitz course. Every player in every game has kicks that go awry. Fan forums like this are notorious for focusing most of their attention on those clangers, and not on the vast majority of disposals that hit targets. No player is ever going to go through a game at 100% DE. Against the Saints l noticed that he was taking a bit more care to hit targets. l am also sure that Dys is aware that his kicking needs to improve and is working on doing just that. He may look very casual, but he is as driven as any other player in the game.

3 Likes

Yikes! 150 games for Hepp coming up. Well, at least it’s not 100 or 200. The 50’s have worked well for them this year :wink:

Hmmm. I think part of his leadership role means setting the tone with the game plan. If the rest of the team see Hepp play on at all costs and taking aggressive kicks and rolling the dice, even if it fails then they at least have feel they have a license to do the same. It’s also important if we set up to play a certain way, then we actually play that way. This style of play is especially important and noticeable at the start of our games. If it’s not Hepp it’s Zaka or Zerret and they often look bad when it doesn’t come off, but it really signals to our guys how we intend to play and removes a lot of doubt.
It seems like early on in the season we had a lot more backwards kicking, and Woosha was talking about guys playing in conservation mode and being afraid to look bad. Heppell referred to himself not being a good enough leader and maybe this had a bit to do with it.

1 Like

Can someone please post the Herald Sun paywall article.

Thanks in advance

6 Likes

Where was this from?

Herald sun player ratings.

If someone in the media mounts a case, Heppell could go close to All Australian.

2 Likes

For me it’s because I go to a game and go “yeah Hep played alright. Couple of howlers but apart from that he was good.”

And then come home and watch the replay and the commentary team has him up in the box riding his ■■■■. He played a good game but it wasn’t that good. It’s almost at Rance levels.

1 Like

I was thinking probably not, lots of mids have been talked up more. Depends how many they want to squeeze in. Has had a great season though, could go 20 Brownlow votes with his consistency and our ok win haul.

He’ll make the squad most likely

1 Like