#21 Dyson "Good Onya Guys" Heppell

It’s not every kick or every 2nd kick, but it happens a lot more often than you’d like.

The kicking can improve, marking as well. Dropped some sitters in the past 2 years.

He is one of our surest and best marks.

Don’t think this has been posted before

With the arrival of Shiel and the likelihood of McGrath getting some more time in the middle, is there a chance Heppell will be pushed back to a half back flank?

I doubt it. Do you think we need him there?

Nah doubt it. Dyson has been our main man inside and around stoppages. Shiel’s arrival will only push him back to 2nd. Followed by the likes of Myers, Parish, Langford and McGrath. If anything it will give us the luxury of moving Merrett around a bit more.

We’ve got more HBFs than we can fit into the team. Why you’d move one of our AA midfielders into that spot is beyond me

It is just because some of our guys are coming back through rehab.

If they are all fit, it isn’t as much of a question.

It’s more that he may be squeezed out, not altogether but may have his time on the ball significantly reduced. At GWS, Shiel was just behind Coniglio and Ward as an inside mid and just behind Kelly and Whitfield as an outside mid. He is probably our best inside and outside mid so he will be the man and will get a lot of time on ball. I think Smith and Stringer will get the same time as last year. And McGrath, Parish and Langford will all get a fair bit more time. All three are primed. With Goddard gone and Gleason and Redman both unlikely for round 1, it makes sense that he goes back for some time at least. The others who should see less on ball time are Myers, Zaha and Merrett but I don’t think they will go back.

He’ll stay in the guts. He averaged 5 clearances last season. We didn’t get Shiel in so we could move our best clearance player out of the middle. And he’ll be the last player pushed out. I think some people might be underestimating his inside work.

Reasonable points. Merret has been thrown back on many occasions in the past - though to be fair, mainly in 2017, not 2018. I see Hepp as being our equal most productive mid right now, before including/seeing Shiel. Merret, Hepp, Shiel and McGrath for me, will be the prime movers and the engine of the team. They each bring something a little different to the middle. Langford, Stringer will alternate fwd/mid. Smith & Zaka are primarily outside. Then there are Parish, Myers and a couple of others who are floating around that area.

I think we’ll rotate heavily through the midfield. Shiel is more likely to affect the amount of time the likes of Stringer/Walla than he is someone like Heppell.

I think he’ll spend a bit more time on the wing. For mine his two greatest strengths are his ability to get to ground ball contests and win them cleanly and his ability to present constantly and find space. I’m not sure that stoppagee work has every been a real asset, his clean hands and ability to keep his feet isn’t necessarily highlighted in heavy congestion. Put him in a one on one though or a two or two and he wins most of them.

Is it possible the hype around here has got expectations on McGrath a little high? I’m expecting him to really step up but to say he’ll carry the same weight as Merrett, Hepp & Shiel might be a bit much (and i know that’s not exactly what you’re saying, but some seem to think that’s what will happen).

Of course it’s possible! I may be totally off track. But I’ll stick with it for now - McGrath will be an absolute gun and become a top 5 player in our team. Perhaps even our #1 mid. In my opinion.

Well i hope you’re right mate! I agree he’ll be a star. I’d just hate to see him have a similar output as last season and then for Blitz to go all Blitz on him. He might still take a couple of seasons to really hit his straps.

I’m probably guilty of this. I see he gets a lot of it but probably don’t see the quality inside work because it happens so fast and in congestion.
Around the ground he gets it a fair bit but never looks particularly classy, he runs to good areas though often isn’t the best option but calls for it and gets it because he’s the captain.
Has missed a lot of important shots on goal and if it wasn’t for his inside work I’m not sure where we’d put him.
I m probably being harsh because he’s captain
but he gets a lot of opportunities to shine as captain more so than other players who work just as hard.

I’m sure he’ll take a couple of seasons to ‘hit his straps’.

I’m probably guilty of this. I see he gets a lot of it but probably don’t see the quality inside work because it happens so fast and in congestion.
Around the ground he gets it a fair bit but never looks particularly classy, he runs to good areas though often isn’t the best option but calls for it and gets it because he’s the captain.
Has missed a lot of important shots on goal and if it wasn’t for his inside work I’m not sure where we’d put him.
I m probably being harsh because he’s captain
but he gets a lot of opportunities to shine as captain more so than other players who work just as hard.