#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

I think he’ll spend a bit more time on the wing. For mine his two greatest strengths are his ability to get to ground ball contests and win them cleanly and his ability to present constantly and find space. I’m not sure that stoppagee work has every been a real asset, his clean hands and ability to keep his feet isn’t necessarily highlighted in heavy congestion. Put him in a one on one though or a two or two and he wins most of them.

Is it possible the hype around here has got expectations on McGrath a little high? I’m expecting him to really step up but to say he’ll carry the same weight as Merrett, Hepp & Shiel might be a bit much (and i know that’s not exactly what you’re saying, but some seem to think that’s what will happen).

2 Likes

Of course it’s possible! I may be totally off track. But I’ll stick with it for now - McGrath will be an absolute gun and become a top 5 player in our team. Perhaps even our #1 mid. In my opinion.

2 Likes

Well i hope you’re right mate! I agree he’ll be a star. I’d just hate to see him have a similar output as last season and then for Blitz to go all Blitz on him. He might still take a couple of seasons to really hit his straps.

1 Like

I’m probably guilty of this. I see he gets a lot of it but probably don’t see the quality inside work because it happens so fast and in congestion.
Around the ground he gets it a fair bit but never looks particularly classy, he runs to good areas though often isn’t the best option but calls for it and gets it because he’s the captain.
Has missed a lot of important shots on goal and if it wasn’t for his inside work I’m not sure where we’d put him.
I m probably being harsh because he’s captain
but he gets a lot of opportunities to shine as captain more so than other players who work just as hard.

I’m sure he’ll take a couple of seasons to ‘hit his straps’.

I’m probably guilty of this. I see he gets a lot of it but probably don’t see the quality inside work because it happens so fast and in congestion.
Around the ground he gets it a fair bit but never looks particularly classy, he runs to good areas though often isn’t the best option but calls for it and gets it because he’s the captain.
Has missed a lot of important shots on goal and if it wasn’t for his inside work I’m not sure where we’d put him.
I m probably being harsh because he’s captain
but he gets a lot of opportunities to shine as captain more so than other players who work just as hard.

I’m sure the coaches would find somewhere, even if he wasn’t captain, he’d be damn near first picked every week.

The guy is an absolute jet of a footballer.

2 Likes

Well that’s interesting.

I’ve thought that he wouldn’t be suited to a wing because he lacks pace, and doesn’t have the elite footskills.

I like him in the centre because he can win his fair share of clearances, and has assets that kill most other inside mids around the ground.

Not all wingman need to be brad Hill. Hepp knows how to find the ball. And he’s an amazing one on one player. I’m not saying play him exclusively on the wing but if he gets more minutes there as part of the rotation it does suit his strengths even if he has an unusual athletic profile for a traditional wingmen

His strength is in the contest and in traffic. He’s our best player at that.

2 Likes

for mine that is his biggest weakness. If he can fix that up he could very well become one of the best players in the comp. He has everything else imo

agree 100%. His marking is a massive strength, has vice like hands. Very courageous too, stands under the high ball and never flinches

2 Likes

I think so, in the short term, anyway.

Long term, I think he’ll be real good, but I don’t expect him to be one of our best mids in 2019.
Has too many to overtake (Hepp shiel smith Zerrett Zaha). I could see him overtaking Langford, Myers & Parish.

1 Like

I don’t think this can be true because there’s just not anyone on our list who works as hard as he does.
He gets the ball not because of selfishness, or seniority, but because he presents, and presents, and presents.

7 Likes

he can be in the contest and traffic WHEN HE BRINGS HIS ■■■■■■■ SIDE STEP BACK.

The comment you quoted was a seriously poor comment.

1 Like

Got a call from Hepp yesterday. I said hi Dois, but he just talked over the top of me.

4 Likes

If only he was on the phone I’d have said to him to worry about winning a final for the first time in 15 years before you start trying to flog off guaranteed grand final tickets

2 Likes

Yeah you tell that slacker

2 Likes