#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Yep, can’t keep on using the saga as an excuse.

No.

He is a half-back flanker who plays best peeling off his man.

Can take a mark. Reads the play well. Can set up behind the play. But, has never had the gut busting run to be a pure mid, nor the elite inside game like Jobe to deal with his lack of speed. Is a plodder as a mid. And plodding more and more now.

3 Likes

Make believe surfer.

Same as make believe captain.

I did. :grinning:

I love Dys, always have. Still believe he’s the best person to captain the club. Apart from missing that goal after an incredibly brave mark, I cant see he did much wrong yesterday. Gives his heart and soul every week.

I reckon we’re so lost in the trees we’re totally missing the forest.

6 Likes

Telstra Tracker lovers should know that he clocked up 15kms for the game, the most on the ground. St Kilda’s best we’re Brown & Battle at around 13.8kms.

Tbh though, I’d rather Heppell spending less time running his guts out on a wing and more time in and around the contest, where I think he has far more of an influence.

Must play inside mid, its the only role is is suited to.

He was quite OK at it last year.

Was also one of the best last week.

Bigger issues at play then Dys the captain.

4 Likes

Yep agree. He is an ok mid as part of a rotation but is let down by poor kicking and being burnt defensively in the middle. On the HBF his assets of bravery and reading the play would compliment Saad and McKenna perfectly. Is a 7/10 mid at best when I’m sure he could get to AA on the flank. I even think he could captain better from the HBF. Hodge style.

3 Likes

He has an AA as a mid pre saga.

I don’t think he will get back to that standard, the games gotten much quicker in the past 5 years.

1 Like

Exactly. The game just moved past him as an A grade mid. Don’t get me wrong he is still serviceable but I just think he would blitz at HB handing the ball off to our runners setting up play.

1 Like

He’s our best mid and should be playing inside every minute until the game looks to be won. He needs to position himself better so a player can’t get around him instead of trying to beat a player that’s faster than him and end up on the ground.

1 Like

:100: this.

Why did Woosha start him on a wing for the first half instead of in the guts?

Sabotage.

2 Likes

I understand that- questioning his leadeship- fine. That’s not the posts my comment was in response to.

I don’t think Heppell has performed poorly at all either- nearly won the Crighton last year. That season was 3 games ago.

He shouldn’t have to wait for permission from the coach to move onball, as captain he should’ve made that call and put himself in the guts to show his teammates how to go about it.

And the fact that the Coach didn’t have the captain and best clearance player in there from the beginning after last week shitfest shows just how out of touch he is.

2 Likes

This is true and also deeply depressing.

If the rumours have any validity of hooker and hurley sooking cos of their omission from the leadership group, then Hooker should never be captain of this club, ditto hurley.

true leadership doesn’t come from a title, it comes from you know leading, and if they have a hand in destabilising the club cos of said sooking, they shouldn’t even be at the club come seasons end.

I always said I wanted zac Merrett as captain when hepp got it.
I still remember him in 2016 in the last game of the year, with nothing to play for than a meaningless win in what was the darkest year onfield for this club, and he absolutely went of, goddard style at zaka for not running to the positition in defence he was suppose to.

I don’t know if he has that in him still, but we need a captain now who is not friends with the playing group, but tells them what it is, if players don’t like it tough ■■■■, suck it up and do your ■■■■■■■ job. if you want to sook, go sook in the vfl reserves cos you don’t even deserve to be in the senior vfl side.

no more boys club at this club, and no more players running the show, if they don’t like something, they can ■■■■ off.

Is Heppell the best captain or the best player that we’ve ever had? Nowhere near it. But I actually think that he’s still a really strong leader… the issue is that he seems to have zero support around him from the rest of the so-called leadership group and the bloke can’t do it all on his own.

Myers should be dropped, Fantasia and Merrett have barely fired a shot this year and Daniher is obviously unavailable. That’s our leadership group right there - no wonder the team looks lifeless and completely void of confidence.

Yep, I’d be close to taking the captaincy after Round 2. The guy sums up the problem. Our captain… in the first quarter of our ‘bounce back’ game… the guy who should set the standard…the man that DRIVES the passion… that should be front and centre… where is he? Oh he is on the wing (yep that is on coaches-but I’ve been clear on what they are) but does he charge in to crash the bodies? Does Heppell will himself to every contest in that 12 minute goalless scrap that started the game… does he impose himself on the contest and scream “follow me lads, this is how we will win”…

Nup… him and his stupid flopping hair job around at half pace and he actually is responsible for two of St Kilda’s opening 4 goals… what a farking inspiration.

I have never been in the ‘haircut matters’ camp… but ffs when will this kid grow up, get a farking haircut and realise he is leading the greatest football club in the land… start acting like it.

Give it to a guy who will at least have a crack. Couldn’t even make the distance from 40m out… NOT EVEN THE FARKING DISTANCE!!!

2 Likes