#22 Forward or Back: Part II

CARLISLE%20Jake.png

Season Highlights
19 disps (14 kicks 5 hballs), 10 marks and a goal in Rd 16 31-pt win over the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium (14 Jul 2013)
23 disps (20 kicks 3 hballs), 13 marks and a goal in Rd 11 5-pt win over Carlton at the MCG (7 Jun 2013)
22 disps (15 kicks 7 hballs) and 13 marks in Rd 2 148-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (6 Apr 2013)

Ordinary tatts!

AA at the halfway point. Expect to see him there a few times 'fore he's done.

Was awsome for the first half of the year and well within contention to be AA. He and Hooker are the foundations of our backline for the next decade.

Also went forward and did this: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdGVKgwM54

The Buckets forward move can be used to great effect, but our dysfunctional forward line meant that we had to play him there too much. That, combined with injuries, caused his form to drop off imo.

TRB farked up his form by moving him fwd. Needs to stay defence permanently and will become AA FB. 

Scary thing is he hasn't played 50 games yet! Watch out opposition fwds!

Since one of Jake's tattoos can be read either as Darlene or Mother depending how you look at it, can he get a similar tattoo that can be read as forward or back?

Must play forward. Our best forward must play there - he is clearly our best forward!

I may be incorrect, but Carlisle always seemed uncomfortable/had an ordinary game as a forward if he started there. Played well when switched, but no so well when a dedicated forward.

I think desire has to play a part. If he prefers to play defence (which interviews suggest he does), then that’s where he needs to play.

I may be incorrect, but Carlisle always seemed uncomfortable/had an ordinary game as a forward if he started there. Played well when switched, but no so well when a dedicated forward.
I think desire has to play a part. If he prefers to play defence (which interviews suggest he does), then that's where he needs to play.

I reckon that's a mental thing. If he changes mid-game he doesn't have time to think about it and plays a natural game. Give him the publicity, pressure of being the number 1 forward and all week to think about it and maybe he psyched himself out a bit. The mental hurdle could be overcome if we wanted it to happen and planned it from the start of the season.

A.A form as a back in first half of year. He isn’t the answer to our forward line woes but I do like his swing man role if used in moderation. Back.

Is a backman.

People calling him to go forward are clueless.

Loves playing down back.

While the switching thing has worked really well a couple of time this year I think it’s best left alone for now. When both back line and forward line are settled and confident, maybe then.

Jake is a wonderful player. Brave and quirky, my two favourite character traits.

Think his season has been misrepresented by the media and supporters, An excellent first half of the season, though not quite AA standard at that time, moved forward for 2 weeks with limited impact, a shocking 4 weeks back in defence, and then a very solid last 4 or 5 weeks.

Tracking along beautifully - Expect him to win a B and F and make AA this season.

Top 5 in the B and F for 2013.

After he hurt his back, he lost the ability to stretch for marks and a but of pace. Hopefully he recovers and it does not become a chronic problem, though having back surgery can be tricky.

Season highlights should be:

Beat Pav

Beat Cloke

Beat everyone except J Cameron in the first half of the year.

Up until the day he signed his contract he was the best defender in the league. Since that day, hmmm....ugly to say the least. Buddy's 9 sums up his second half of the year. Hopefully another that will keep improving and building on that first half of the season.

It's not about Carlisle, it's about the team. Even if he is a superior backman, the team needs him up forward so much more. The gap between him and Hurley as a fwd is so much greater than the gap between them as a defender.

the tarts can be excused because Carlisle is awesome.

i like custard tarts

BACK! BACK! BACK!

Will be a champion!

Felt at the start of the year, that Jake was going to be our "next big thing" and for a good part of the season he was proving me right. This year will be a great stepping stone for the future.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but he reminds of a taller Terry Daniher - a bit of the Daniher looks, but a lot of the TD talent and more importantly, that hard edge and willingness to get physical.

I see on the EFC site, trade talk is saying GWS are keen and willing to offer 1st pick - my view is they would want to offer at least the next two 1st picks for us to possibly, maybe even consider it (& then say no).

It's not about Carlisle, it's about the team. Even if he is a superior backman, the team needs him up forward so much more. The gap between him and Hurley as a fwd is so much greater than the gap between them as a defender.

Based on what, exactly?
Him floating forward a few times late in games? That's the exact same reason Hurley ended up forward.
Harry Taylor and Ben Reid are good examples of guys who are dangerous when thrown forward, but not that dangerous when they start there. I think Carlisle is the same.