#22 Irving ‘MO22IE’ Mosquito

Irving Mosquito’s journey from remote Western Australia to Essendon

Matt Turner HS

The term “magic” is routinely used to describe Indigenous footballers but it has a special connection to Essendon’s Irving Mosquito.

Irving was named after NBA great “Magic” Johnson, whose dazzling, “Showtime” plays during the 1980s and ‘90s were admired by his basketball fan dad, Dean Mosquito.

So when he and wife Rosalie had their first child, they decided to call him Earvin – the five-time Los Angeles Lakers champion’s real name.

The only problem was the hospital, in Derby, in remote WA, got the spelling wrong.

“I thought I’d just leave it as that,” Dean tells News Corp with a laugh.

Irving turned 20 last Monday.

Two days earlier, sporting brilliance on TV again inspired Dean – this time it was Irving booting two goals on debut in the Dreamtime game in Darwin against Richmond.
The second-year small forward’s opening major was with his first kick. Getty Images

His other one, which came after hitting the ball at pace just beyond the 50-metre arc then finishing with his left foot on the run, was nominated for Goal of the Week.

Irving Mosquito after his goal with his first kick in the AFL. Getty Images

Not wanting to quarantine for a fortnight due to coronavirus restrictions after returning from the NT, Dean and Rosalie watched the match on a big screen at a pub in Kununurra with about 20 family members.

The proud dad spent most of the game struggling to comprehend his son was playing on one of football’s special stages and wiping Rosalie’s tears.

“We were just making a big noise … we were just jumping around and everything,” Dean says.

“It was a beauty to see him play the game he played.

“You can’t get better than that.

“We still can’t believe he kicked two goals in his first game, you know.

“We were very emotional.”

While the pub rocked, Irving’s hometown of Halls Creek, where Dean, Rosalie and their other sons Bobbie, 17, Frederick, 15, and Dean Jr, 3, still live, also celebrated.

Dean estimates there are 10 families of Mosquitos in Halls Creek, which is in the Kimberleys, almost 700km inland from Broome, has a population of about 1500 and is considered one of the most disadvantaged communities in WA.

The nearby town of Warmun, where Dean is originally from, has another 30 mobs of Mosquitos.

“Everyone’s still shaking my hand on the street in Halls Creek,” Dean says, proudly.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti celebrates a goal with Irving Mosquito against Hawthorn. Getty Images

Dean has hardly stopped smiling since Irving called him two days before the Dreamtime game.

“He just said ‘I’m playing dad’ really happily and all the family was in the background (saying) ‘yay’,” Dean says.

“I said ‘this is for all the hard work and this is where you’ve ended up’.”

Their father-son phone calls have not always been as rosy.

After Irving moved to Briagolong in eastern Victoria at the age of 12 to study at Gippsland Grammar, he would ring Halls Creek homesick, telling Dean he wanted to return.

“When he first went away he was crying to come back to us but I’d say ‘mate, it’s best for you to stay over there and get a good education’,” Dean recalls.

“It’s an opportunity you can’t get up this way.

“He’d do it hard sometimes … and the things he went through, it was hard for me and my wife.

“I told him about myself – I never got a good education because I lived all my life in the Kimberleys.

“If we all do the same things, it’s like living in a circle.

“It worked out in the end.”

Irving left his family behind in Halls Creek but gained a second one in Gippsland.

Former Halls Creek teachers Mick Roberts and Sharne Beesley hosted him, helping ease the transition from outback WA to country Victoria.

“They did an enormous amount for him,” former Gippsland Power talent manager Peter Francis says.

“Footy wasn’t the main thing, it was about a focus on schooling and being happy.”

Irving Mosquito at Gippsland Grammar in 2017.

Irving had played football for a Clontarf side in Halls Creek and would have a kick with friends, such as recently departed Docker Isaiah Butters, when he was younger.

His first taste of organised competition came in Victoria with Maffra, where ex-AFL players John Butcher and Ben Robbins launched their careers.

Gippsland Power soon became aware of a speedy Indigenous talent who had a beaming smile and memorable name.

“We had Irving right from a 14-year-old … and he’s always been that really beautiful smooth mover and goalkicker,” Francis says.

“I liken him a little bit to (Essendon great) Michael Long.

“I watched (Irving’s debut) from home and was really nervous before the game, just was hoping he would do really well because he’s such a great kid – a beauty who lights up the room when he walks in with that big smile.

“That second goal (against Richmond) – I’ve seen him do that 20 or 30 times for Gippsland Power.”

Irving rose through Gippsland Power’s ranks, played for Victoria Country and landed in Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy in 2016.

In his draft year of 2018, it was expected the Hawks would snare him, eyeing a long-term replacement for four-time premiership star Cyril Rioli, who had retired that July.

Irving Mosquito playing for Victoria Country in 2016.
Irving Mosquito playing for Victoria Country in 2016.

Instead, Essendon called Irving’s name at pick 38 and Hawthorn did not match the bid.

“The main thing (Irving left home for) was for an education,” Dean says.

“It was a bonus that he got picked up.”

The fact the family barracked for the Bombers made it even sweeter.

“When Essendon picked him up, it was like ‘wow – that’s my team’,” Dean says.

Moving to the big smoke of Melbourne meant more adjustment and new clubmates.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, who could speak minimal English when he moved from the Tiwi Islands to Victoria at the age of 16, became something of a bigger brother.

Fellow West Australian Cale Hooker formed a strong bond with Irving as housemates, even though there was an 11-year age gap.

“Hooksy was at a stage where he really wanted to give something back to one of the younger boys, but he went completely over and beyond,” Irving’s manager Matt Bain says.

“He took him to WA with him on the plane and took him to Sydney for the first time in the off-season on a boat on the harbour, and stayed with him in a hotel room.

“Irving calls him Pa Chook – Hooksy’s name’s ‘Chook’ at the club, so he basically calls him Grandpa Chook.

“It’s been really heartwarming, to be honest.

“Hooksy’s looked after him so well.”

Bain chats to his bubbly client daily, typically to shoot the breeze or discuss how he can get better, and Irving is painting a traditional Indigenous artwork for him.

Irving Mosquito with Bombers teammate Patrick Ambrose. Picture: Michael Klein
Irving Mosquito with Bombers teammate Patrick Ambrose. Michael Klein

Irving Mosquito kicking for goal at Essendon training. Picture: Michael Klein
Irving Mosquito kicking for goal at Essendon training. Michael Klein

Irving is also close to Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro, who he speaks to up to three times a day.

Dodoro celebrated with a fist pump on draft night in 2018 when the Bombers were able to snare Mosquito.

Last season, Irving was an emergency once but his first AFL campaign was hindered by hamstring injuries.

Living in hubs this year has hurt some players’ form but he has embraced it.

About two months ago, he improved his professionalism, leading to weight loss.

It resulted in the debut against Richmond, another game against Hawthorn last Thursday and should ensure a contract extension at the end of the season.

“Since we’ve been up here he’s had a good little patch of continuity and been able to build on his fitness and body shape, and he was rewarded,” Essendon forwards coach Dan Jordan says.

“He’s under no illusion he’s got a long way to go, having said that we’re really excited by the talent and energy he can bring.

“He also brings great energy to the group – he’s always happy and laughing, and he’s a really fun person to be around, so the boys really love him.”

Hub life has kept many AFL players away from their families this season and Irving is no different.

He has not returned to Halls Creek this year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Sam Draper chatting to Mosquito in the Dreamtime game. Getty Images

When Irving is back home, the wannabe park ranger often heads out bush with his family to go fishing, hunt goannas, emus and turkey, and find local fruits.

Irving’s grandmother, Doreen, used to call him “the damper boy” because during those camping trips, he would eat the traditional bread, rather than tuck into what had been hunted.

“He never used to eat meat or chicken when he was smaller – he was a vegetarian … until he went to Gippsland,” Dean says.

“I don’t think he liked the way we cut them up.

“We’d cook up all this turkey and kangaroo but he wouldn’t eat it, but when my mum used to cook up damper, he’d eat the whole lot.”

Irving plans to return to Halls Creek for Doreen’s funeral in late September, although that may depend on the Bombers’ finals prospects.

Doreen died a few months ago of natural causes.

Irving honoured her on debut by wearing a black armband.

He had another armband in recognition of an elder from Wave Hill, NT, who had died.

“I had to call him and let Irving know about my mum, and he was a bit worried,” Dean says.

“But I told him it was OK.”

Dean says Irving enjoys spending time with his family and is proud of his heritage, from the Kimberleys’ Kija and Jaru tribes.

What Irving may not realise is just how much of an influence he is on shaping the futures of the next generation of Mosquitos.

Bobbie, who is in Year 11 and plays A grade for Halls Creek, wants to follow in his footsteps and finish school interstate.

Cale Hooker has a close bond with Mosquito. Michael Klein

Like Irving, Bobbie’s education will come first and any football opportunities are a bonus.

“He’s a bit like Irving but he likes to tackle a bit more,” Dean says of his middle son.

Dean had his own football career at Halls Creek Hawks.

You may think that is where Irving gets his talent from but Dean is not so sure.

“I was average,” he chuckles.

“I started at full-back then made my way right down the spine and ended up at full-forward.

“I wasn’t that fast (as Irving) – I’d just open the road for blokes running behind with the ball.”

These days Dean works for Halls Creek Shire as a youth engagement night officer.

He is part of a team that tries to get young people off the street after hours to reduce crime and increase school attendance.

“We try to get them home before 10 o’clock,” he says.

As Dean does his bit for their community back in Halls Creek, Irving is doing his more than 3000km away.

The day after Irving’s debut, Dean and his son had another of their father-son phone chats.

“I just said ‘you’ve done us proud and you’re leading the way for our family’,” he says.

55 Likes