#22 Irving ‘MO22IE’ Mosquito

Daniel Rioli handled it fine, Zac Fisher was extremely light when he debuted, Caleb Daniel maybe a little more meat but still small and light.

If he’s good enough he’ll get a chance this year IMO.

We are relatively light on small forwards. Don’t use him unless needed, but if we get injuries, he’s not too far down the pecking order for that role.

Who’s spot does he take if he is going to be a small forward? Bags?

I would be quite the surprised person if he were to get a senior game this year.

5 Likes

Can’t see it happening either. Lots of raw talent but he’s still very small and the guys he’d have to push out finished up last year on fire.

1 Like

Dean worked hard on bulking up

3 Likes

I’m happy if we don’t play him, but 1-2 games late in the season to cover injury and reward good form wouldn’t be outlandish.

6 Likes

You don’t get much lighter than Wanga on his debut.

1 Like

Fail to see how size differs across AFL and VFL.

Speed of the game, sure. Fitness, sure.

But you don’t get to choose who hits you. Could be fellow first year or angry 35 year old.

5 Likes

I agree with the concept that size doesn’t matter too much, but so far he’s shown no indication he can handle the physicality.

He got taken off the ground in the golf cart one session after what looked like no more than a heavy front on tackle in a drill. And a few other times he has struggled to get up after hits that the other players take in their stride

6 Likes

Even Langers looked overwhelmed physically in his first season.

But now…Boy oh boy wowee!

Ah yes, this old line

How is he physically more in danger at AFL level than VFL level? You still get tackled, bumped, crunched just as hard in either league.

Not to mention all the light framed guys who have successfully started off their careers. Theres been heaps

Not really. Our round 23 side had Bags, Tippa, Colyer and Laverde as the small(ish) forwards. Tippa was in ripping form, Bags was OK, Colyer stank, Lav was up and down.

Fanta is obviously back, but to me there’s still 2 spots basically printed on the teamsheet and one spot wiiiide open.

If Irving can survive training with McKernan then he can survive the AFL.

4 Likes

Because it matters less if he’s getting knocked around in the VFL. It’s not about protecting him. If he’s going to get pushed around it’s better to happen in the VFL. He can play in the AFL when he can handle it a little better.

1 Like

If he does well in the VFL coaches will have no choice but to pick him imo

I think you are marking Bags very hard.

He had a cracking year.

3 Likes

Yeah 20 goals and he didn’t even play forward the whole season. And he’s tough as nails. There’s no way you replace him with a 70kg 18 year old. People are going to have to be patient with Mozzie. They’ve made it very clear that he’s a development player.

4 Likes

There absolutely is a size difference, on average across the board.

AFL guys spend all week training. VFL listed guys are plumbers or teachers who play footy part time.

There’s still guys playing full time ruck (Meese for one, and he’s been the gun VFL ruck for about 5 years) at only 195cm-197cm. Just wouldn’t get a look in at AFL.
And there’s KP players who are only 190 or so. Everyone’s just that little bit smaller across the board.

3 Likes

The post I replied to stated “at the end of the year”
2 goals in the last 3 games is just OK.

1 Like